Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

RickRoll Nats

Wednesday: We have a nice flight to Ohio, were we get all registered and I head to the food court and meet up with Levi, Stu, Pramawaffle, Omar, and other people. I watch the discard pile = damage counters game and then we go to that other hotel and do basicly nothing forever. So we head back eventually to origins and then I just go back up to my room and do pokemon stuff with myself, test Ambush v. stuff etc. =p

Thursday: Yes, this day is actually a lot better. =p Throughout the day I meet up with Mikey, Matt, Tyler, Paul, Micheal, Mikey’s bros, Ross, Henry, and all the other cool people. We test like mad up in Ross’s room while Micheal sleeps for 4 hours straight. -_- Then I went down and played Infernape v. random crap and went like 56156-0, depressing. =/

Friday: More testing, bla bla bla. Paul hasn’t been able to come up with us at all because his dad said he doesn’t want him to go up in a room and test. None of us really get it, sucks for him. =( By night Mikey tells me last minute about candy/budew sounding good to him, I was considering budew but candy was interesting. I play a few games, def not enough to determine anything. I’m just so tired and stuff and I go to bed after Matt/Micheal leave. Ross also made LIGHT and DARK Aron though, as good luck charms. Won me many many games.

SATURDAY: The day! I already new I was playing Ambush but I finally decided on a final list. I go down early to Nats and decided to just go with the Candy thing. I want Wallys but I figure this will be fine, don’t want to do too much last minute stuff. I fix up Micheal and Henry’s lists, and we all go get registered. Afterwards I talk to Alex W. (Hot Carl) and he tells me how he last minute changed to Wallys when he was like 4 spots from registration in line, cuz Jimmy told him to. I’m like UGH *slice* Oh well, I just have this feeling I’m gonna do good this year. Ross decides not to play, Chuck comes over and makes fun of him for it, (it was pretty funny ;D).

Round 1: v. Jaren Painter w/ Random Banette Bench Manipulatin.dec
I get to sit next to BOBBY MALEC FIRST ROUND! While shuffling my heart is beating like crazy, I’m SO NERVOUS. When I see psychic energy while he’s shuffling I think he’s playing Bandoom which is a harddd matchup. He opens with Shuppet PK (that’s relieving) and I open with Cubone. He does 10+confuse. I mentor/bench Piplups and stuff, and pass. He evolves into BENCH MANIPULATION BANETTE, thank GOD and does Grudge for 20. I evolve to Prinplup on bench attach scramble. He gos attaches an energy and does Bench Manipulation instead of Grudge which auto knocks me out anyways, lol, I get all heads! Damn, I wanted to get at least 1 tails so I could win. I evolve to Empoleon and just pass. He then just does grudge for ko, and I kill him with Empoleon and he has no bench. I made 3 turns seem long. -_- 1-0
Bobby wins, infact, EVERYONE wins so it’s all good.

Round 2: v. Taylor Davis w/ Delta
YES! It’s a delta! The match goes exactly how it’s supposed to, I keep even/behind on prizes all game and spread infinite damage. Empoleon with 130 HP is so amazing, and Briny just adds to it. I just have Prinplups doing 10 everywhere and Empoleon doing 40 anywhere that won’t get KOd. He does Raichu PK (Mikey is so right it’s so good) and does 120 to an Empoleon via DRE which is 10 short from a ko! That was when I brinyed I think. Late game I double scramble a Marowak and take 6 prizes in 2 turns. 2-0

While playing this game I was watching the match next to me, and a kid in a pink shirt was also playing Ambush v. some kid using Flygon. When we saw each others decks, we just nodded. ;D So I met Garret, and that was pretty cool.

Lunch break! I go with Mikey and his bros and Henry across the street to that one market place. =p I get a sandwich/coke and that’s it, keeping it simple. We’re all 2-0 and feeling good.

Round 3: v. Tad Wheeler w/ Delta
Oh yah, 2 deltas in a row baby! Exactly the same as last game, so not much to say. 3-0

Round 4: v. Christian Long w/ Flycat
First off, I have to say, this deck is really cool. Just works great, seems consistant, and it was really fun playing v. it. :D Christian was pretty good with it, I do 70-20 to his pokemon, setting up KOs and forcing him to SSU stuff. Flygon ex doing only 100 was so key, so my Empoleon gets 2 hits in (sometimes 3). I Cessatoined in him for a while til he got rid of it, and then my Cursed Stones sticked pretty well. 4-0

Round 5: v. Jefferson Duncan (moza) w/ Lucario/Eeveelutions
This match is so hard, Lucario really early doing the 40-20s to setup for Jolteon is so hard to deal with. When I saw we were paired I really didn’t think this was going to go well. But he had… Nothing. Like, really nothing, I think he hit 1 energy all game. I just got a fast setup and ran through everything, Lucario having 90 hp didn’t even do anything. Bad beat for him, I prob should have lost, I guess you have to get lucky every once and a while though. 5-0

Round 6: v. Patrick Tuskey (Ultra upaa) w/ Mario
Ugh, not an easy matchup either, if you can only get 1 empoleon out you can’t really win. If you have 2 you have an advantage though cuz that 130 hp is key. I only managed to get 1 out with his fast start though, so he ran through me and I couldn’t really do anything to his 90 ho Lucarios or bigger hp Machamps. 5-1

After this, Garret and I are were both 5-1 and we were talking about how lame it was to have to do mirror and face each other, but we would still prob both make cut 5-3. So I go over and check and sure enough…

Round 7: v. Garret Ferrington (Raichu2063) w/ Ambush
=/ Of course, out of all the other 5-1s. Before our match Zach comes over and is all like “he got the list straight from me, SORRY buddy” ;p. (but umm. I got my list straight from magnechu? ;() Basicly he starts with Roselia which is horrible as I just don’t bench in the matchup, and my fast Empoleons takes him down to his really really bad start. Oh well, he’ll still make cut which is good. 6-1

Round 8: v. Forrest Greene w/ Shiftry
Sweet, a Shiftry! Basicly I get some damage on and some key Morowak Curse Powder stuff. I get a bunch a KOs and win, can’t remember exactly how the match went. 7-1

Man, I’m pretty hyped up after 7-1 4th seed. I’m v. James Flint, so we meet and shake hands, wish each other GL for tomorrow. I know he’s playing Shiftry, which isn’t easy, but I think I have it. Bobby 5-3s. =/ Garret 5-3s but makes the cut since he was 5-0, so that’s all good. Mikey gos 6-3 =/. A lot of people don’t make it, Bolt does bad too =(. Paul makes top cut, and our boy Micheal gos freaking 9-0 in swiss! Nice job but, ya beat Eric Craig too. ;p Ambushhhh, I got to talk to Jimmy a lot which was cool, and he’s pretty hyped that everyone is doing well with Ambush. He has to go v. Flariados in t32, which is a hard matchup. =/
I get to bed at a decent time.

SUNDAY: Top cut day baby. I wake up, and just have this good feeling in me, I think I’m going to do good again. I get my small box cereal and head down. When I get there I meet up with everbody, including Garret and we’re both hoping we’ll do good. Micheal is up against Bandoom, a tough matchup but he says he’s got some sort of plan for it. He always has a plan I guess. =/

T32: v. James Flint (Miracle) w/ Shiftry
Game1: We setup and start the game. He opens with Absol ex, not looking too good for him, I open with Cubone. He mentors and then realizes that he hadn’t put out his prizes, I didn’t even notice that ugh. We call over a judge and the dude says game loss. =/ Just right off the bat game loss. That’s so crazy, I mean sure he searched but that’s like real severe. *Sigh* It’s lame I didn’t want to win like that. 1-0
Game2: Well this game he remembers prizes. He gets a fast setup and pretty much just runs through me, I can’t remember much. 1-1
Game3: This game is a lot better, I get the Empoleons/Marowaks out on him, which he just can’t KO. I can’t remember much but I had the game. 2-1
8-1

Garret won also, but Paul lost in 15+. Micheal who was losing I heard, managed to pull some insane comeback tricks and won v. Bandoom! Alex W. (Ambush) lost to Shawn G though (Electivire). Poor Alex, but pretty cool Shawn won. Jimmy lost though =(. Henry lost too in 10- cuz he got stalled out bad, a decent amount of Ambushes are already out.

T16: v. Forrest Greene w/ Shiftry
Game1: 2 Shiftrys in a row top cut, 3 shiftrys overall in a row. Nice. He gets some fast Shiftrys out that I just can’t deal with, and he takes this game. 0-1
Man losing the first game… But for some reason, I got this deep feeling in me I have it all =p
Game2: I get some damage on Seedots and stuff, manage to get that 40. I don’t have the ability to Marowak scramble late game though. He attaches a dark to a shiftry and does 40 to my active Cubone with an energy. I proceed to attach a 2nd water, and use Rage for 100 KO. Does it. My continuous KOs are just not enough to deal with for the 3 energy attacker. 1-1
Game3: Nothing too out of the ordinary, but he struggles to get energy throughout the game which is going to hurt him a lot. I do some important Roseliaing which hurts him badly with the no energy thing. In the end I flick poison up a Jirachi ex or something, and he just concedes once I do because he isn’t going to have enough energy to retreat out of the lock. 2-1
9-1

Garret wins again, Shawn wins, but Micheal loses. =( Garret and I find out that we are on opposite sides of the bracket, and won’t play each other until FINALS! We get pretty pumped about it.

T8: v. Andy Meier (shiftrymaster68) w/ Metanite
I’m happy now, both my opponent and me know we have trips to Hawaii already, and top 8 is pretty good. But the fact that I’m going against Metanite just makes me SO HAPPY!
Game1: He gets nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing and just has random basics. I get a sweet setup and wreck him, he can’t do anything, NO EVOLUTIONS. 1-0 I guess at this point everyone thought I lost, cuz I looked depressed or something. I just was sad cuz he got nothing the whole game, lol, but I guess it looked like I lost.
Game2: This is a much more normal game with him getting setup with Delta Draw. He even pulls t1 Metargoss and some other fast stuff. I get to Aqua Showering and doing lots of spread damage. The Cessations and Cursed Stone hurt him pretty bad, and the windstorms/stump isn’t enough to save him. I get tons of damage on different guys, and then I just for for Marowak and take a decent amount of prizes. In the end I Empoleon for the last prize. 2-0
10-1

T4 baby! I’m going to Hawaii for sure! I look over to the game next to me, Infernape mirror. Sweet. I go up against Nape next round. Garret won his match also and he gos up against Delta, good matchup for him too. Ambush finals?! Shawn loses in t8 also.

T4: v. Daniel Chin (Tadreth) w/ Infernape
Game1: Honestly idk how I really lost, he just got some fast setup and lots of fires in the discard. Flare Ups on my Empoleons were just too hard to deal with. 0-1
Game2: Better game, I get lots of KOs on his Napes with Empoleons, he can’t keep up and loses this one. 1-1
Game3: It was an interesting game. He’s struggling with Flick Poison locks on his Delcattys. After a while though, I realize that the 15 minute warning time was called a while back. We don’t have that much time left I’m guessing, and I’m forced to 40 his bench catty with 20 on it and stone out and let his active one to die so the prizes are not where I want them right now. This lets him bring up Nape to KO, and I really don’t have any response waiting on the bench. I had wanted to setup Empoleons and that way I’de be able to sweep up all his Napes. We have a 1 min time extension cuz the judge asked BDS to see if I could Budew for a Cessation (which I can). So time ends we still have our extension, he does some stuff. I tie it up after time is called on our extension. He does 90 or something. I don’t have the energy to counter, which I probably would have if I had had more time and not had to go agro on those Cattys. =( I prob had that game but we 1-2
10-2

Kind of depressing. Garret wins his match though, which means I’m up against Vernola for ¾. He’s playing Delta with an Absol tech, I think I have it.

¾: v. Jeff Vernola w/ Delta
Game1: We do some stuff and spread damage, and I lay Cursed Stone to knock out my Budew so I can go all scramble on him. He lays down an absol and moves the 30 from my Budew to Piplup and Split Bombs it for KO. Lucky me though, I get to Roselia+ Cursed stone his Absol like infinite times. I take a buncha prizes and win. 1-0
Game2: He decides to go agro Eggs this game. But I still get to scramble all over him and stuff, and I take it. 2-0
11-2 (16-5)

Sweet, 3rd place at nats! Garret loses to Daniel w/ Infernape though. =O Man oh man. We get to go stand for a million photos, and then we get the wii and trophy and other cool stuff. It was pretty awesome. Then me and my friends all write on a million cards, like any Piplup (tear). I also dre Piplup on a Chimchar blasting it with some water thing, and Prinplup on Monferno. I also wrote how much I hate Infernape on that too. ;/ And last, I ripped up a Machamp for ruining my swiss record. =D Afterwards all of xf and some others go to a reserved room for my birthday, and we learn the X-FILES CARD GAME! It’s pretty insane, but some of the pics were too freaky for me. Poor Alex had to go through some stuff, but I think he managed it out…
Also that night. We met the REAL ross. Way more violent than the normal Ross we thought we all knew. >.< Just a warning guys, don’t make him mad.

Props:
3rd place, sweetness, first time even top cutting in 11-14 at nats
Chad for being cute
Paul t32
Micheal 9-0 swiss and t16!
Garret getting 2nd, nice job
Bobby being cool
Ross getting a trip
All of xf
Kettler
Pikachu being happy/sad at the same time (deflation)
Fulop for being NATIONAL CHAMPION OF THE WORLD
PIPLUP! ILU
Hugging piplup thingy like 10000 times
Hugging the empoleon poster -_-
Jimmy. Ambush is amazing and your just a cool guy
Other cool people like KANT 3-0 magic god ur good at everything

Slops:
Matt being inferior to his bro at everything
All the good people not getting trips
Infernape
Turtwig
Henry getting stalled and the judge ignoring them in t32
Paul losing on time and 2 reverlsal flips in a row of the only ones his opponent played
Time in general
All the messed up penalties during nats. Like discard piles. *sigh*
Being grounded on the plane in ohio for 1561651 hours =/
Almost missing connection, horrible flight experiences on the way home

Twas a great time, see some of u at Hawaii and the rest next year!

Last edited:
nobody cares etc etc

=D Great job Jer. Too bad Chris couldn't have been up there with you.
And omg I'm never making Ross mad that was just totally insane sick. ;x
Empoleon is a hot and spicy card!

PIPLUP.

You or Garrett IS the national champion :D but you guys are both seniors again next year... GG

notice how the list IIIIIII made is the one that won nats? jk, great job bud, nice meeting you, definately one of the cool seniors.

lakak: yah idk what happened =(
tadreth: so your daniel? I didnt know you had a gym name, cya in hawaii
moza: yeah i'm pretty sure i can't win that matchup without you getting horrible luck ;p
mikey: yeah i never thought he would hurt people =(
bobby: Piplup! haha and your moving to masters next yr buddy, cya in hawaii
ryan/omar: i guess ill add you guys to the props just for being cool ;p
zach: yah cool meeting you too and u should have top cutted =(

Hey I didn't hurt anyone....physically. :wink:
Nice job, now you are truly one of the best Seniors in the country. Just don't eat the penguins.

At least I learned one important thing, which is to never make Ross made EVER!!!!!!!!! Well, congragulations on making 3rd place at Nationals and getting a Wii, the one that you have been saving money up for one. =D Find the truth again at Worlds 07 and we all know you can do it.

And omg I'm never making Ross mad that was just totally insane sick.
Hoennash said:
At least I learned one important thing, which is to never make Ross made EVER!!!!!!!!!

Inquiring minds want to know...

I've never seen Ross "mad" before. I've seen him very serious, contemplative, happy (once he's beaten me :tongue:) but never mad!

Nice work, Jeremy. 3rd at Nationals is awesome! Jeff and I were relieved to hear that Ross chose to observe the tournament, securing his spot to Hawaii. Congrats Paul on making the top cut, Michael for 9-0 swiss record (and Matt for putting up with him!).

Aloha and Mahalo.

Jeremy! I knew you would make worlds lol

You still have my Empoleon =P Glad to know that it helped you get the trip haha

see you in hawaii bud

Jeremy is my idol too.

I'm not inferior to my brother, I just took all the bad beats for you while you were taking the format to school with ambush.

What do you mean not hurting physically Ross? I have pictures (okay one pic and all it shows is you hugging rattray) of the whole ordeal. But Daniel asked for it, never drop a chunk of ice down someone's back. Especially if that guy runs cross country and plays baseball.

Back