Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Rock Band 3

toxictaipan

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1098683p1.html

Personally, I think this is stupid. And I'm a guitar player.

There's a line between playing Rock Band/Guitar Hero and playing real guitar. Rock Band just crossed that line. Why? What you're doing is basically paying for guitar tablature (which there's an abundance of for free on the internet) that moves, only to hear someone else play the note that you just played.

Somebody on another forum I visit summed it up quite nicely:

"Dude I sound just like Van Halen!"

"That's because Van Halen is playing the note, you idiot."

Haven't seen the price, but it's probably going to be ridiculously expensive. The guitar probably won't be built too well, either. But I'll hold my tongue at wait to see about these things.

There's a difference between playing a game and playing a guitar that you're not actually playing. If you wanted to actually play guitar, you should go out and actually buy an actual guitar so that you can actually play it.

From what I've seen, that guitar is an actual electric guitar with MIDI output that has the extra feature of fret sensor pads for connectivity with Rock Band.

I'll admit, though, I'm not particularly excited about this game, really...

From what I've seen, that guitar is an actual electric guitar with MIDI output that has the extra feature of fret sensor pads for connectivity with Rock Band.

I'll admit, though, I'm not particularly excited about this game, really...
That's correct. What I'm saying is, you're playing the song, but you don't get to hear yourself play the song.

It takes all the effort and skill to play it on the real guitar, since that's what you're doing, but you don't get the satisfaction of hearing yourself play the song. Unless they do it like they did the vocals and you can hear yourself play over the actual song. But unless they also have all kinds of tone matching going on for every song on the game, that will just sound awful.

I put some guitar in your Guitar Hero so you could rock out while you rock out.

toxictaipan, FYI when you're using the Fender Squier guitar, you CAN actually mute the game's guitar audio, plug the guitar into an amp, and hear yourself play the song along to the chart and backing audio.

So, your entire argument is moot. GG sir, GG.

edit: Also note that once you learn from the game, playing up from Easy to Expert, the game also helps you learn to play and learn to read tablature so once you have that understanding you can then start downloading your much-lauded free tablature online and playing to it... which took MOST people all of 30 seconds of thought once they read the announcements, and Harmonix even said outright in demonstrations/interviews thus far for those who didn't get it. Like you.

toxictaipan, FYI when you're using the Fender Squier guitar, you CAN actually mute the game's guitar audio, plug the guitar into an amp, and hear yourself play the song along to the chart and backing audio.

So, your entire argument is moot. GG sir, GG.
I forgot that you can mute the game's audio. My bad.

But it's just not the same if you don't sound like the artist playing. One thing all the previous games have is that when you're playing the song, it actually sounds like the song you're playing. If they don't have tone matching for every song in the game then it will just sound like crap. That's kind of an important part of my argument.
edit: Also note that once you learn from the game, playing up from Easy to Expert, the game also helps you learn to play and learn to read tablature so once you have that understanding you can then start downloading your much-lauded free tablature online and playing to it... which took MOST people all of 30 seconds of thought once they read the announcements, and Harmonix even said outright in demonstrations/interviews thus far for those who didn't get it. Like you.
It's not really hard to learn guitar tablature. At all. And it's definitely not worth the coupe hundred dollars this game will cost you to learn it.

If you wanted to learn to play guitar and use guitar tablature and were itching to spend a couple hundred dollars to do so, a good investment would be to buy a decent guitar, a decent amp, and go from there. You can probably go get a better set-up (like I said, I haven't got my hands on this thing yet, so I don't know the quality of the instrument and I don't know how much it costs. But this thing doesn't have my hopes up just from reading about it) and go invest in a few lessons with the money you'd end up spending on this game. That way, you're getting a solid start on good technique, music theory, and everything else.

There was nothing wrong with Guitar Hero and Rock Band before. In fact, Guitar Hero is what go me into playing the real guitar. If it helps people get into the real guitar, more power to it.

I just don't like the idea. You gotta troll me every time I post something I don't like about Guitar Hero/Rock Band?

Last edited:
Stay on topic people.
Trolling/Flaming others is never productive discussion.

Settle this lame argument via PM you two.

I forgot that you can mute the game's audio. My bad.

But it's just not the same if you don't sound like the artist playing. One thing all the previous games have is that when you're playing the song, it actually sounds like the song you're playing. If they don't have tone matching for every song in the game then it will just sound like crap. That's kind of an important part of my argument.

There's no way that what you're saying is any different from any random person - yourself included - trying to cover the song? :\ The only difference is you'll have the game scoring your accuracy rather than a likely tone-deaf audience.

What I pointed out, though, wasn't just that you can mute the game's audio - you can mute the guitar audio in the game, leaving the rest of the band backing, and play along to the chart with the Squier guitar hooked into your amp. It's even better than what most garage guitarists can do with a regular HiFi or even basic audio software on a PC.

It's not really hard to learn guitar tablature. At all. And it's definitely not worth the coupe hundred dollars this game will cost you to learn it.

If you wanted to learn to play guitar and use guitar tablature and were itching to spend a couple hundred dollars to do so, a good investment would be to buy a decent guitar, a decent amp, and go from there. You can probably go get a better set-up (like I said, I haven't got my hands on this thing yet, so I don't know the quality of the instrument and I don't know how much it costs. But this thing doesn't have my hopes up just from reading about it) and go invest in a few lessons with the money you'd end up spending on this game. That way, you're getting a solid start on good technique, music theory, and everything else.

Okay here's the thing though... just learning tablature is the start of it. I can look at a tab online and imagine in my mind how it should sound - and I know what the numbers technically mean - but actively applying it is a whole other ballgame.

Sure you can set up guitar lessons - which would likely also cost a few hundred dollars, if you take multiple lessons from a professional instructor. If you're taking lessons, though, you're on your instructor's schedule, and you may have trouble with some aspect or another, but unless it's one-on-one instruction (which is even pricier), you probably won't get the special attention you need to help with, say, learning to hold a pick correctly for good tremolo technique.

Enter Rock Band 3. You want to learn guitar but don't want to be locked into some instructor's schedule. You might already be a fan of the Rock Band and Guitar Hero gameplay and want to take it to the next level, learning the real thing (i know MANY who have or who plan to). Now you can put down the $300+ for the Fender Squier - which will be a decent entry-level guitar at worst, since it is a real guitar with real strings, real pickups, and real midi out as well as a regular port to plug in an amp - and learn on your own terms, playing simplified tablature on Easy/Medium/Hard, without being locked into an instructor's time, and getting essentially the one-on-one practice you need. Hell, if you're really intrepid you can combine the two, have an instructor teach you proper technique and then use Rock Band 3 to help practice - since the game actually grades your performance you can even see how well you're progressing!

Pro Drums will take a similar leap, teaching more complex limb interaction and moving your arms from just the rack-of-toms pattern to having separate cymbals - I'm REALLY looking forward to playing Pro Drums with my Ion Drum Rocker and getting a better chance to practice on a significantly more realistic setup.

And on top of all that, once you've spent the same amount on lessons as you would have on Rock Band 3 with a Squier, you're done - you have to pay more for further lessons if you need them. RB3? Well, there's always DLC...

There was nothing wrong with Guitar Hero and Rock Band before. In fact, Guitar Hero is what go me into playing the real guitar. If it helps people get into the real guitar, more power to it.

So, I don't get how you can say this exact line in the same breath that you disagree with me... There's some logical disconnect going on here, might be related to the below.

I just don't like the idea. You gotta troll me every time I post something I don't like about Guitar Hero/Rock Band?

Who's trolling? Yeah my posts are a little more inflammatory than most, that's just how I usually end up arguing on forums. Adds a little spice. When it gets out of hand or looks like it will, I dial it back because I'm not trying to incite serious flame wars here, just a little friendly argument (is there such a thing? i'd like to think so).

And besides, if there was nothing wrong with GH/RB before, so you know, RB3 will still support the wonderful five-lane blast-the-gems gameplay we've loved since the first Guitar Hero. Pro Mode is Harmonix's way of saying "Hey, you invest hours of time and hundreds of dollars into this stuff, here's a way you can turn the abstract into the real". It's bloody brilliant, and while it may not explicitly boost sales of Rock Band 3, it's an incredibly awesome nod to the enthusiast market and a bold statement that Harmonix is dedicated to bringing the music to the people... and vice-versa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stay on topic people.
Trolling/Flaming others is never productive discussion.

Settle this lame argument via PM you two.
It is on topic. We're discussing the merits of the new Rock Band game using a real guitar.

I kind of overreacted by saying he was trolling, too. We're cool here. :thumb:
There's no way that what you're saying is any different from any random person - yourself included - trying to cover the song? :\ The only difference is you'll have the game scoring your accuracy rather than a likely tone-deaf audience.
I guess so. But I have a modeling amp, it's built to be able to hit a wide verity of tones. I might not be able to hit a signature tone perfectly, but I can come close enough just about anything that it sounds like the song I'm covering.

What I pointed out, though, wasn't just that you can mute the game's audio - you can mute the guitar audio in the game, leaving the rest of the band backing, and play along to the chart with the Squier guitar hooked into your amp. It's even better than what most garage guitarists can do with a regular HiFi or even basic audio software on a PC.
I overlooked that to. That's a good point, until you get back to the fact that you aren't getting to hear yourself play. I guess that's not really important during the learning stage, and you can always just turn the sound back on after you can play the song decently.

Okay here's the thing though... just learning tablature is the start of it. I can look at a tab online and imagine in my mind how it should sound - and I know what the numbers technically mean - but actively applying it is a whole other ballgame.
I don't understand what you're trying to say here. My suggestion was to buy a decent guitar and amp. In what part of that was I implying that you wouldn't be applying what you're learning from the tablature onto the guitar you bought?

Sure you can set up guitar lessons - which would likely also cost a few hundred dollars, if you take multiple lessons from a professional instructor. If you're taking lessons, though, you're on your instructor's schedule, and you may have trouble with some aspect or another, but unless it's one-on-one instruction (which is even pricier), you probably won't get the special attention you need to help with, say, learning to hold a pick correctly for good tremolo technique.
They can get expensive over time. My instructor only charges $20 for one 30 minute, 1-on-1 lesson a week. He's also very flexible with his schedule. I know that's not the case with everyone, though. I'm just lucky I guess. :/

But that's kind of a weird point, if you ask me. "Oh, I want to learn this instrument, but I don't have time to learn it from a professional instructor so I'll just go buy Rock Band and practice whenever I have time." It seems like a good solution, but you need an instructor to help point out when you're doing something wrong. I'm sure I picked up a couple bad techniques from Guitar Hero before I started playing the real guitar.

Enter Rock Band 3. You want to learn guitar but don't want to be locked into some instructor's schedule. You might already be a fan of the Rock Band and Guitar Hero gameplay and want to take it to the next level, learning the real thing (i know MANY who have or who plan to). Now you can put down the $300+ for the Fender Squier - which will be a decent entry-level guitar at worst, since it is a real guitar with real strings, real pickups, and real midi out as well as a regular port to plug in an amp - and learn on your own terms, playing simplified tablature on Easy/Medium/Hard, without being locked into an instructor's time, and getting essentially the one-on-one practice you need. Hell, if you're really intrepid you can combine the two, have an instructor teach you proper technique and then use Rock Band 3 to help practice - since the game actually grades your performance you can even see how well you're progressing!
Good points. Not much I can say about that. Although, all this thing does is grade how many notes you hit. Hitting more notes while playing sloppy is not as important in the long run as developing good technique. However, if you take the time to develop good technique, you will be able to hit more notes almost effortlessly compared to if you're flailing around and playing sloppy and uncontrollably.

How much are you really progressing if you're hitting more notes at the expense of developing a bad habit of playing sloppy?

And on top of all that, once you've spent the same amount on lessons as you would have on Rock Band 3 with a Squier, you're done - you have to pay more for further lessons if you need them. RB3? Well, there's always DLC...
Sure, that works well if you just want to cover songs. However, if you want to learn music theory, you're going to need more than Rock Band. A good instructor can help organize it so you learn better. You could always try learning off the internet, of course, but I chose the other option.

So, I don't get how you can say this exact line in the same breath that you disagree with me... There's some logical disconnect going on here, might be related to the below.
What's wrong with what I said? If it helps people get into music, I'm all for it. I just wasn't so hot about the way it's trying to do it. You're helping, though. lol

Who's trolling? Yeah my posts are a little more inflammatory than most, that's just how I usually end up arguing on forums. Adds a little spice. When it gets out of hand or looks like it will, I dial it back because I'm not trying to incite serious flame wars here...
Eh, it's just the last time I was talking bad about Guitar Hero you were getting on me for that, too. I don't really have a problem with it, though. I like spice.

I don't know, I'm kind of warming up to the idea after hearing what you've had to say. I'd really like to get my hands on it just to see what it's like. The only thing I'm concerned about is the price. It might be good for getting people into music, but what about people who are already in music? Since we're bumping this up to real instruments, it only makes sense that it's going to cost more. I already have hundreds of dollars of equipment, both real and in the video game, but I'd still have to go buy another new guitar just to be able to play Rock Band.

EDIT: One thing I would like to point out, though, is that this game lacks a lot of important things. For one, you can't play harmonic notes. While natural harmonics aren't difficult to execute, pinch harmonics are a little more tricky. Other things you can't do (to my knowledge) are palm muting and pick sliding, two very important techniques if you're in to rock/metal. Also, it may score your accuracy of the notes you hit, but it won't be able to keep track of other important things that help you develop good technique in the long run. It won't be able to sense if you're muting unwanted noise, using too much force, holding your pick wrong, it won't (to my knowledge) teach you music theory, how to keep time, etc. In fact, just about all it does is score your accuracy of which notes you hit.

Overall, I guess it's a neat idea that will end up getting more people into music, but I don't think it can be considered anything more than an introductory practice tool. It lacks a lot of important things and doesn't emphasize good technique enough to replace a professional instructor or further study and practice.

I didn't create this thread expecting to see a couple walls-of-text. This is pretty crazy, lol.

Last edited:
You're still missing one important detail.

Again, you can set RB3 up with the Squier to where you have the guitar hooked up to the game to play it... but with the guitar track muted, so you don't hear the original guitar audio.

You also at the same time have the Squier plugged into a real guitar amp.

So the guitar audio is coming from the amp.

Based on what you're playing on the Squier.

AKA you're hearing what YOU play alongside the backing music.

Back