Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Rock Lock (Post-Emerald version)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaNd0m

I trust my playing abilities enough to show what I'm playing to people. It really doesn't bother me. I know a lot of people like to keep decks secret... but I guess I just don't see the point. Nobody's going to believe this deck can work anyway... so there we go! :)

Alright, so I played Rock Lock at Regionals at Madison. I tried RG Tauros, and that was a pretty pathetic card. So I've decided to simply play stadiums. I really don't think that Battle Frontier hurts this all that much. The worst thing that happens is that you disable my Dark Ampharos. That kind of affects my strategy, so I simply change the way I play. Instead of going for a lock, I go for a beatdown. Pidgeot's power seems to only be necessary two or three times, and when I play the Rocket's Hideout, I get to use it.

This is all assuming that people PLAY Battle Frontier against me. If they don't, well... then I get an extra 20 HP for some of my pokemon. That's a positive effect anyway, so I don't see the Hideout as wasted space.

Rock Lock (Post-Emerald Version)

Pokemon x22
4 Dunsparce
3 Larvitar (What version should I run?)
2 Dark Pupitar (The evolving attack one)
3 Dark Tyranitar (All non-poke power)
2 Pidgey
1 Pidgeotto
2 Pidgeot
2 Mareep (Version?)
1 Dark Flaaffy
2 Dark Ampharos

Energy x14
4 Darkness Energy
4 Lightning Energy
2 R Energy
2 Scramble Energy
2 Dark Metal Energy

Trainers x24
4 Steven's Advice
3 Copycat
3 TV Reporter
4 Rare Candy
3 Rocket's Hideout
2 Celio's Network
3 ATM ROCK
1 Switch
1 Strength Charm

~ RaNd0m

Last edited:
2 Scramble Energy seems a bit much. Is a single Damage counter from Rainbow that bad? Is Magcargo too slow for this deck (instead of using Pidgeot)?

I think if anything 2 Scramble Energy is too little. At Regionals, in the second match (and final match) of my top 16 experience at regionals, I lost because when I Quick Searched for a scramble which would've basically won the game, it wasn't there. Both were in prizes. I don't know if I can have enough of those.

I think Scramble Energy is one of the most useful cards in this deck. Because this usually sets up slowly, I seem to always find myself falling behind early. Scramble Energy can really change a game around and actually change the result.

I don't like Rainbow Energy. I just don't see it as necessary. I don't think the one damage counter is that bad, but then again why do I need to use it? Doesn't Scramble Energy do the same thing for the most part?

I like Magcargo, and I've thought about replacing Pidgeot with it. I'm still not sure on that. I could, but then I'd be color intensive... I don't know if I want to do that. I also LOVE Pidgeot's free retreat capabilities, and it's ability to hit dragons hard.

~ RaNd0m

Yah Jon, I dont understand. Your playing a rocklock with no ATM rocks in it? I personally believe the whole idea of the "rock-lock" with their basics is dead because of battle frontier. Using that card they can easily get out of being rocked.

Ice'Cold said:
Yah Jon, I dont understand. Your playing a rocklock with no ATM rocks in it? I personally believe the whole idea of the "rock-lock" with their basics is dead because of battle frontier. Using that card they can easily get out of being rocked.
And no sand damage ttars kind of destroys the strategy as well, needs a lot of work mate.

Thanks. That was the card I was forgetting. I have it in the real deck, it's just I'm at work and I was forgetting something. YEAH.

Let me edit the actual list. All better now folks.

I don't think the Dark Tyranitar with the power is good anymore. I think Battle Frontier kind of ruins it. What I'm saying is, even with Battle Frontier out, my non-power Dark Tyranitar can STILL compete in a big way.

Last edited:
RaNd0m said:
Rock Lock (Post-Emerald Version)

Pokemon x22
4 Dunsparce
3 Larvitar (What version should I run?)
2 Dark Pupitar (The evolving attack one)
3 Dark Tyranitar (All non-poke power)
2 Pidgey
1 Pidgeotto
2 Pidgeot
2 Mareep (Version?)
1 Dark Flaaffy
2 Dark Ampharos

Energy x14
4 Darkness Energy
4 Lightning Energy
2 R Energy
2 Scramble Energy
2 Dark Metal Energy

Trainers x24
4 Steven's Advice
3 Copycat
3 TV Reporter
4 Rare Candy
3 Rocket's Hideout
2 Celio's Network
3 ATM ROCK
1 Switch
1 Strength Charm
~ RaNd0m

You might consider just one of the Sand Damage Dark Tyranitar. I would probably play it with the standard 2-1 Power-Non Power, but you don't seem to want to do that. You're already countering their Stadiums anyway, so why not use at least 1 of the Dark Tyranitar with Sand Damage. It's quite lethal against Lanturn, which is a force in the metagame at the moment.

I also notice that you only play 2 Celio's Network. I'd drop your 3 TV Reporter and 1 Copycat, then add 2 more Celio's Network, 1 Rocket Ball, and 1 Rocket's Admin. Admin is cool for screwing over hands, especially against decks (like LANTURN) out there that use Magcargo without a Pokemon like Walrein or Ludicolo that can instantly get that card off the top.

Plus, if you were looking to include a Pokemon that can discard stadiums, why not use Magcargo and drop Pidgeot altogether? This would require a drawing engine more similar to the one you have right now, with TV Reporter over cards that shuffle your deck up (which would ruin Magcargo's Oracle-like Pokemon Power), like Celio and Admin. The reward could be worth your while. I mean, Magcargo is a step up from Tauros (or so I'd like to believe). =P

Good luck with Rock, even though 99% of the world hates you for it.

I didn't consider Lanturn. That makes a lot of sense. Ok, yeah I'll add one of those. Will my energy be ok for that? I only have two scramble to attack with it. It seems like that's the only way to do damage. Wouldn't I need a couple fighting then? That's my biggest issue with including it. I don't see how I can include it without adding other cards as well.

Just so you can compare, here is my Rock-Lock deck with Magcargo in it. I use the Mareep with Minor-Errand running type attack, and the Larvitar who can do 10 for [C] (It's nice to do 20 to a Dunsparce, plus the other Larvitars mostly needs [F] energy, which I don't have too much of.)

POKEMON 21/11:
2 Mareep
1 Dark Flaaffy
2 Dark Ampharos
3 Larvitar
2 Dark Pupitar
3 Dark Tyranitar (2/1)
2 Slugma
2 Magcargo
4 Dunsparce

TRAINERS 24:
2 Stevens Advice
2 Copycat
4 Celio's Network
3 TV Reporter
3 Rare Candy
4 ATM ROck
1 Mr Briney's Compasson
1 Warp Point
1 Switch
1 Desert Ruins
1 Rocket's Hideout
1 Rocket's Tricky Gym

ENERGY 15:
4 Darkness Energy
4 Lightning Energy
4 Fighting Energy
2 Double Rainbow Energy
1 Scramble Energy

Last edited:
Hey Random we played at Wescoision like round 4 I was the guy with Blaziken, who did you play in top 16, Ironaclly I lost to Rock Lock in Top 8 but it won the whole thing so ow well. Two things have you tried Lanetes and does it run pretty smoothly at 14 energy my Rock Lock runs 16 and I don't know if I should cut it down.

i would go ahead and makes this the pure dark ttar kind of deck, no need for that silly amphy, just plain do 20 dmg x4 to all their pokes and use ATM and u basically win. Try that version out, becuz u work so hard to get amphy out (and do xtra 20 i guess) that it doesn't actually make it faster. ALSO considerin you don't see much fightin anymore (cause BF>rock) makes pure dark ttar deck THAT much sweeter. :)

DarkJake said:
i would go ahead and makes this the pure dark ttar kind of deck, no need for that silly amphy, just plain do 20 dmg x4 to all their pokes and use ATM and u basically win. Try that version out, becuz u work so hard to get amphy out (and do xtra 20 i guess) that it doesn't actually make it faster. ALSO considerin you don't see much fightin anymore (cause BF>rock) makes pure dark ttar deck THAT much sweeter. :)

lanturn decks will walk all over you =D

but yeah, dark TTar and pidgeot decks have placed in regionals, it isn't bad. they didnt place first, but regular rocklocks have... so it's your prerogative.

I haven't had a lot of experience with Lanturn... so you might want to ignore what I'm saying. However, I don't see why you have to have a fighting Pokemon to beat it... Have you checked out how much damage regular Dark Tyranitar's last attack does? 2 Darkness Energy and Lanturn's done.

Jaeger: I lost to a weird Dark Hypno/Magcargo mix played by Jimmy Ballard. I really didn't get very great draws... and I blame my synergy on that. I really don't think that deck was superior to the actual Rock Lock deck... it was simply superior to my version of it.

In general, I think I'm gonna add a fighting dark tyranitar. I don't like the idea of eliminating Dark Ampharos... it's REALLY good against a lot of decks, including EVERY water variant out there AND Zapdos ex. Even if its power doesn't get much use, it's attacks do. So I can't eliminate that.

Thanks for all the help, guys. Any other comments would be appreciated!

~ RaNd0m

Yeah but don't forget that battle frontier shuts off pidgeot as well. Also you need more energies. 17 is the absolute MINIMUM I would go with energies so try putting in 2 more dark metal energies and a lightning energy at least. You may want to put in Magcargo (with smooth over) and some dark magcargos as well. Dark magcargo really PWNS by turn 2 if you get all the cards right. Try taking the pidgeot out and put these guys in instead. With battle frontier coming around into play, you would be better off getting rid of the birds so that you aren't totally screwed and stuck. Your deck may be slower this way, but you would mainly be focusing heavily on power here, rather than speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back