Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Rock Lock takin the Worlds?

Well , in my area about half the people are playin Rock lock decks. I've also noticed that here in the forums more than half are postin on Rock Lock decks. Not that I play a Rock Lock deck but I have a feelin that it's gonna take over the worlds.....

But who knows , somethin unexpected might happen...like last year's champion

it's too early o tell what will happen in 5 months time, IMO it will definately be a contender.

Well, if you expect a lot of Rock-Lock, metagame against it! I suggest building the deck and playing it to see how it works. Then build a deck to take advantage of its weaknesses and destroy all who play it! =P Maybe you'll win Worlds like that, eh?

well...looks like magma will win worlds again =P J/K. anyway, i think Deoxys EX will have some play this year. I'm close to making my Deoxys EX/Metagross deck, which i wanna use. I battled on apprentice and lost like only one or 2 times. Thats outta like 10 games though.

Last edited:
Yeah then a deck that beats the rock-lock metagamers wins. I made T8 at the WCSTS day 1 playing big fire because I expected a lot of crobat and other grass, as well as some Mag-Entei. I still had to face two gatr decks in the swiss (one played by Tom Hanley) and managed to pull off wins before getting beat by Stike's Gatr in the T8. I guess you can beat a deck with a HUGE advantage over yours only so many times before they just get a crazy start and you don't.

I'm guessing people have made stuff that will break the metagame. Why reveal it at states? I know that my secret deck won't see play until at least regionals.

Two words: Milotic ex. Then we'll have an unsteady balance. Everyone will frantically tech Milo-ex into their decks to counter Rock-Lock, thus it will see much less play. When Amphy dies down, so will the Milo-exs and then Amphy has a shot again, rinse and repeat. Atleast these are my predictions for an overall view, obviously certain areas will vary drastically. So, I don't think Rock-Lock will make an earth shattering performance at worlds. What will? Only time can tell my friends. I do know I really should spend more time than I do trying new things. I just always get so busy... =/

Professor_Chris said:
Two words: Milotic ex. Then we'll have an unsteady balance. Everyone will frantically tech Milo-ex into their decks to counter Rock-Lock, thus it will see much less play. When Amphy dies down, so will the Milo-exs and then Amphy has a shot again, rinse and repeat. Atleast these are my predictions for an overall view, obviously certain areas will vary drastically. So, I don't think Rock-Lock will make an earth shattering performance at worlds. What will? Only time can tell my friends. I do know I really should spend more time than I do trying new things. I just always get so busy... =/

Well people said the same about Rare Candy when ATM Rock first appeared... STAY AWAY FROM CANDY, ROCK KILLS IT etc.

And now? lol.

I already have a deck that beats rock lock (if i dont start too awful), and with the release of EX: emerald, at least gatr beats it, and meganium maybe

A ton of cards beat rock lock, thats not the problem. The problem is the decks that beat rock lock every time don't do very well vs. the rest of the meta game. For example I can't play a lot of grass to counter because blaze is still big here. I could name a ton of combos to beat rock lock: Crobat/ex/dark, Muk ex/dark muk, VEX, rockets syther ex, and others but they don't do well vs. red face paint decks and so you can't even make top 8. I too think milotic ex will have a major impact on rock lock. I am planing to make a gatr ex/milotic ex deck because im just that cool! :thumb: I can't wait until we see our next set and find out if we will get one more before worlds or if emerald is all we get before worlds. HL came out June 15th last year and then FRLG Pre was at worlds. This time around we get a set in May so maybe, just maybe we will get another set late july or at least sometime BEFORE worlds. At least we get pidgeot this time around.

Last edited:
Yeah, i'm goin' with the Vileplume ex idea on this one... I mean, it sees complications generally with Metagross/Deoxys ex decks, since they play at it's weakness, and it COULD have issues with Dragtrode, because of the resistances on the D.Draggy... But, Vileplume ex just PWNS ATM: Rock, Rare Candy, Master Ball, Stadiums, ect...

That, and if you're going for easy TeCH, just go with an ATM: Rock or two in your deck!:thumb:

trust me, i built a Vileplume ex deck for Washington states and yes, I could beat rock lock but I never got the chance to play one because I lost to a bunce of red face paint decks first. anything that gets set up can work around VEX and that is why I ended up going 3-3. Even a rock lock deck can beat VEX if you don't get a good setup. I just don't think that VEX is a good solution but hey, if Vileplume ex wins a states (good state) then I would love to be wrong.......but I just don't think I am on this one. If Vileplume ex did 60 damage maybe but 50 is just not enough. If your gonna play VEX though, play lots of rockets admin and 2 team aquas hideout. those are really good cards in Vileplume.

With all this talk about rock-lock being able to take over worlds. Its just a bad statement to make. I believe players this year at world's will play their own decks. There's going to be more variety of decks at worlds and thats not to say there wasn't much in 2004. But hey it was either blaze or magma. Anyways to the point of rock-lock.

Yes this deck is changing the metagame a bit ok maybe a lot. But hey thats what everybody said about blaze and World 2004 can answer how well that worked out. Dont want to repeat what everybody been already sayin about just runnin a counter to the metagame w/ stuff like vex, sceptile, and crobats.
Did anybody think about running a butterfree deck. Im proud to be an advocate for butterfree players all out there.

Just think about it they can set up pretty well, a counter to the rock-locks, pretty fast and can hold its basically against all decks never mind can beat just about every deck if its put together right.
Draggy's just add shards, zapdos play ninjask DX, and for all other ex's just run grumpig and ruins as the stadium to be an anti ex deck. The only deck that I can think of to be problem and can exploit butterfrees weaknesses is sadly is blaze decks of course. If only butterfree drain 60 and had just 10 or 20 more hp.

Don't believe me just try putting a butterfree deck together and play it and it'll hold its own.

and with the release of EX: emerald, at least gatr beats it, and meganium maybe
They aren't in EX Emerald and thus won't be legal at Worlds unless the english Gs, Ss is released before then, which is a tight fit but maybe.

If the Rumors Are True and Milotic Ex is Released in EX: Emerald The Most Dominant Deck (The One With The most Power) Will regain its power once again... Think about this...
If you tech a Milotic Ex in a Blaze Deck it is deadly... You cant rock the blaze... and if your play another blaze deck you can send milotic up after attaching a multi and firestarting twice and attaching a strength charm to ko it in one shot... it makes blaze so much more deadly... i think that is what makes milotic so deadly... is it protects blaze and helps it at the same time...
Drew

TheDarkTwins has a valid point. A TeCH 1-1 Milo ex line in Blaziken could very well give it the force it needs to overcome its biggest barrier, Rock-Lock. The added stuff doesn't help other matches incredibly, but... I digress. The problem facing Milotic ex is its weakness; Dark Electrode, Dark Amphy, Zapdos, etc all have the ability to OHKO it. Rock-Lock won't totally disappear if and when Milotic ex is released. It may require them to attack a bit more, but a well timed amphy can pwn it. No deck is perfect, and even the Milotic tech is not invincible. THe play of Milo ex depends on what else becomes popular. Reversal and Lanturn or something like that kills it, but we'll see...

coolmanderzx said:
The only deck that I can think of to be problem and can exploit butterfrees weaknesses is sadly is blaze decks of course.

Actually, Butterfree will have issues with Rock-Lock more, considering that it's weakness is actually Lightning...:wink:

Back