1 Strength Charm
1 Pokemon Retriever
1 Scott

Energy (17)
7 Psychic Energy
7 Fighting Energy
2 Scramble Energy
1 Fire Energy

This was a very interesting chance for me to show a little creativity. Unown was a very... odd card to try and use. Here's what I managed to pull together.

Unown V is the main focus of this deck. It can do a maximum of 80 damage. Banette is basically a back up attacker which is used for the same purpose. To get Pokemon in the discard, you can use TV Reporter or Dark Marowak's attack. Dark Marowak does an excellent 70 damage along with a discarded Pokemon which, in turn, powers up your other attackers. Pidgeot is just to help speed things up. Last round, my judges wanted to see Pidgeot or Magcargo. This round, I included Pidgeot. The single Delta Marowak is included since I think it plays the same role in this deck as UF Magcargo plays in Ludicargo. It is a tech card.

For the Trainers, Desert Ruins is basically a Battle Frontier counter plus a counter for Scizor ex and those other nasty beats in ZRE. TV Reporter works well in combo with the Pokemon and also as a good draw engine. Pokemon Reversal gives you field control. It will allow you to spread around damage, and in sticky situations you could then use the DS Marowak with a Scarmble Energy to plow through your opponent. Scott saves you from Battle Frontier. 2-2 Rocket's Admin/Copycat always seems to work well for me. Strength Charm is included because every deck finds itself in a situation where it only needs to do that 10 more damage...

With the Energy, Scramble will give you a cheap, quick hit + Strength Charm on Colorless weak Pokemon. Also, the lone Fire Energy is included in case of lone Unown starts. You can switch to make sure you get Unown Q and pull yourself the Fire Energy, the Psychic, and the Fighting. This way you are getting the most out of your attack, and you have an extra energy available. Most everything is mostly Colorless costs, so that 1 Fire can't really hurt you at all. Its just a tool for more speed.

Thanks for the opportunity! This was an interesting challenge! Good luck to Crim as well, though I really need to win still.
~Hyp~"

~Criminal~
"Iron Chef - Top 8
Unown Challenge
by Crimz

The Unowns in the Unseen Forces set are a step up from the previous unowns, more like a leap up actually, but still aren't quite playable in the top tier of pokemon decks and strategies. Some Unowns offer great starts, Unowns like Unown ? and Unown C are great, because they guarantee you to have an at least somewhat legitimate early game. Then there's Unowns like Unown U, and Unown E who provide disruption against some of the most powerful pokemon in the game, pokemon like rayquaza and zapdos, who only have one attack, or don't want to be activated early in the game. And finally, there's Unowns V and B, who provide devastating attack power for a somewhat hefty cost.

While looking at the other Unowns, i realized some of these were pretty good, albeit situational. The Unowns that caught my eye over all others were definitely Unown P and Unown T, with the ability to "Snipe" or have a Spinning Tail like effect, i instantaneously thought of Jolteon EX's ability, and knew i was onto something nice. Plusle's Positive Spark attack fit the theme in an incredible fashion, Magcargo could smooth over for the puzzle pieces, and aipom could both aid cargo's power and snipe at the same time. Kinda cute. Espeon EX was a late addition to the deck, it de-evolves my opponents evolutions before unown deals the final damage before the KO. ATM Rock is nearly useless in the deck since only Magcargo can use it, so it became a 1 of, that will basically only be used to completely overhaul my opponent's board. Flareon EX was the final pokemon added, and it was essentially added to combat SMP, the most popular deck in the format. Without Flareon you have a really hard battle against an opposing scizor EX.

The Trainers and energy are very basic, and somewhat generic. Super Scoop Up is there to reuse your Jolteon's abillity, and Pokemon Retriever retrieves your valuable unowns.

As a side note, the Unowns that nearly made the cut but didn't were Unowns E and B. Unown E fit the theme of the deck very well, but ultimately didn't offer enough in terms of usefulness to be included, the fact of the matter is I'd rather have Unown ? than Unown E about 95% of the time. Unown B offers good attack power, something the deck might need, but at a cost thats too hefty to be included. Ultimately, I felt Unown ? Unown T and 2 copies of Unown P was the best choice for the deck.

// Pokemon
4 Plusle DX
1 Aipom UF
4 Eevee DS
3 Jolteon ex
2 Espeon ex
1 Flareon ex
2 Slugma DX2
2 Magcargo DX1
1 Unown (?)
1 Unown (T)
2 Unown (P)
// Energy
1 Warp Energy
2 Cyclone Energy
2 Boost Energy
8 Lightning Energy
2 Fire Energy
// Trainer
4 Battle Frontier
4 Super Scoop Up
1 Ancient TM [Rock]
1 Pokémon Retriever
// Supporter
4 Prof. Elm's Training Method
4 Mary's Request
2 Steven's Advice
2 Rocket's Admin"

~~~HP HQ~~~

Deck (5/10): Okay on some aspects, but really weak on others. You have absolutely no searching to directly fetch Pidgeot, and play only 3 rare candy, so the bird will be horribly inconsistent. Most of the time, you can tell if Pidgeot fits, and in this case, it doesn't. It also seems like you make too much of an effort to tech against Battle Frontier...when you'll never get Pidgeot out in the first place. Basic fetching also would have been nice. I like what you did with the strong lines of Marowak, though. Perhaps you hard boned your way to victory? :D

Creativity (4/5): I really, really like this idea. All of the Pokemon work so well together! However, it just seems like a couple of your backup choices seemed weak? VERY nice course of action with this deck, 'cause doing 80 with an unown is just nasty =)

Card Use (3/5): Nice use of the cards too, but I think that you could have certainly taken this up a step. Your countergym choice "may" (may, not had to have been) changed to champ arena to accelerate your discarding of Pokemon, and DRE could have further enhanced this strategy more than even scramble, because scramble is a come-from-behind card, whereas DRE is good all of the time, and you start KO'ing from the get-go, it seems.

OVERALL: 12/20

~~~CRIM~~~

Deck (9/10): WOW! This list is SO solid. About the only things that may have upped the consistency engine would be one or two swoop, and a balance between Mary's Request/Steven (that's just preference though). 8/15 of your basics are searchers, 4/15 can change into Unown ? (if it's not prized), and draw, on average, 1.3 cards a turn, 2/15 are Slugmas that know collect, and the final one is just essential to Cargo, so...yes, I'm very much pleased with this list, but I think that the lack of swoop is important enough to not give you a perfect score.

Creativity (4/5): This is a very "cute" idea, just like you put it. It goes for a nice, basic, simple strategy, and performs quite well. However, it doesn't really challenge the potential of the unowns as much as I would have liked, because the things you can do with these Unowns, you can do with other cards already out.

Card Use (3/5): A lot of your cards work very well with the prompt, and even accompany the new stuff quite well, too. Boost is an excellent addition to eeveelutions, IMO, and I think that you took this to a very nice, high level!

OVERALL: 16/20

I choose CRIMINAL!!!

Last edited:
HP HQ

Deck 6/10:
Cubone looks for friends, but other than that there's not any spesific cards that searches for basics or evo's, that's a major problem when you sometimes need either Pidgey or Pidgeot, but can't find the one you need. In other words: the reason you often run 4 Celio's in decks with Pidgeot/Rare Candy. You could also have mixed with Rocket's Mission and some new Holon trainers to support increased pokemon count in the discard pile as well as drawing new cards, but 4 TV Reporters kicks in the right direction. But I must say I like the way Unown V, Banette and Marowak support each other. Once you get to the level where you have a decent amount of pokemon in you discard pile (meaning you manage to attack with Dark Marowak first), you should be dealing some heavy damage.

Creativity 4/5:
Good job here! You managed to leap out of the "odd" collection of Unowns either for some draw or a lucky attack (those are the few examples I've seen of real Unown use...) and find Pokemon with direct "co-workability" with an Unown.

Card Use 3/5:
As I said above you could have taken this idea even further and IMO utilized it better to make the deck more powerful.

Overall: 13/20

--------------

Criminal

Deck 7/10:
I'm not too keen on using Eeveelutions that you can't attack with. Just because I think it's hard to pull off all this "business" on the bench, and at the same time do well with an active attacker. I would have liked 2-3 Holon Electrodes in replacement of the Fire Energies just in case you are "forced" to attack with Espeon ex or Flareon ex (Holon 'trode are easy searched for with PETM), not to mention they are great for getting Warp Energy and Cylone Energy back on you hand.
But over to your main idea: Spinning Tail-like activity on you opponets Pokemon combined with some targeted ATM Rocking. And although hard IMO, you follow this idea very well. And your deck is consistant and has good trainers. Way to go!

Creativity 3/5:
Like your opponent (in this Iron Chef round), you seem to have put great effort in building these decks. And they are very interesting indeed, plenty of brain work (or a well-placed bluff...)

Card Use 2/5:
Two "lucky draw" Unowns, and two that fits the "theme" of the deck. The "good stuff" in this deck doesn't lie in exploiting these Unowns to the max, so you'll have to settle with a low score from me here.

Overall: 12/20

I choose: HP HQ

Last edited:
And I say 'Nuff said'. My idea was just... more original. :biggrin: :tongue:

I've never won anything in my life before. You should be happy for me! *cough*yeahright*cough*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back