Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Rule Change - Confusion Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Daddy Snorlax

Administrator
Staff member
Not a huge news story but since we have Regionals going on right now I wanted to put this somewhere that people will see it and help get the word out. There has been a change to a long standing rule regarding the timing of the Confusion check during the Attack phase of the game. The approval just came through and the on-line rule book was updated late in the week, so the new procedure should be followed immediately.

GENERAL GAMEPLAY

== SPECIAL CONDITIONS

* Checking for Confusion should be the very first thing you deal with after you announce what attack you want to use. Contrary to the "Full Details of Attacking" steps found in some older rulebooks, it must be done prior to making any choices the attack requires (such as choosing an opponent's Pokemon), paying any costs (such as discarding energy), flipping a coin to see if the attack fails, etc. So as soon as you announce which attack you are going to use, you must check for Confusion immediately before proceeding with any requirements of the attack or effects on the attacking Pokemon.
This now means that no costs are paid nor do any effects apply prior to the Confusion check. You declare that you are going to attack and flip for Confusion immediately.

Here is the link to the on-line rulebook in case you have skeptics that say "show me". On-line Rulebook

BDS

An important change, especially for attacks that require Energy discards to use.

This is a nice change. I did not attack many turns with my dragonite ex because I thought I have to discard energy first. Good to know thats no longer the case.

That discard would have been optional, and so not an attack cost, and would not have been discarded, even under the old rule.
Of course that confusion (no pun intended) is one of the things this change is meant to address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back