Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Salamence, its pre-evos, and supporting Pokémon

I am looking to make a strong Salamence deck to run at my city championships. I'm not asking for someone to make me a deck... I just have some questions about what works well in this particular deck. I'm playing 3 holo Salamence if it matters.

1) Which of the pre-evos to play? There are 3 Bagons and 3 Shelgons... I am thinking the Headbutt/Flare Bagon and the Granite Head/Flare Shelgon. What do you think?

2) What other Pokémon work well in decks with Salamence? Please no other stage 2 lines... a strong basic or a 1-stage fire/water/colorless line is what I am looking for. I was thinking of Delcatty but it might be a little risky with two energy types (plus he's not a support attacker and that's probably what I want). I've heard of Magcargo ex seeing play with Salamence and I might use him... anyone have any better ideas? Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
I suggest that you use the Bagon with paralyzing gaze and the Shelgon with scrunch,they will help you stall for a while.Growlithe of dragon will work nicely and if you put bounce energy for Arcanine attack.You just put two fire energies on Growlithe and then attach Bounce energy and with that energy you could use it for juggler or just attach it to Arcanine if the attack was tails lasrt turn.For water pkmn you could put Carvanha,those two pkmn will make anyone think twice on attacking them =).

Bounce energy is not a good card, don't use it...

Me and Mudkip play (he played, i play) pretty mean Salamence decks if I do say so myself. Play 4 holo Salamence, some basic searchers (like dual ball since its not supporter) and just go for that t2 Salamence and disruption. It works for me, should work for you if its built solid enough. Support guys, go with a Latias ex or 2, and some other form of backup. I use Sneasel ex, but I think i might use Absol in its place...

Good luck with it, hope it works for you.

nikePK said:
Bounce energy is not a good card, don't use it...
Actually, the combo Mewstar mentioned above is pretty good once you see it played. Helps with Arcy's discarding attack.

Anyway yeah, about the Bagons and Shelgons. With Shelgon, I would go with the Scrunch one (the one by Arita) and Bagon I would say either the paralyzing one or Dragon Eye one, maybe 2 of each, one of my friends who plays a Salamance deck plays 2 of each and they work pretty well.

If I had to choose between the two, I would choose the one with Paralyzing Gaze though.

Hope I helped.

Eh... Paralyzing Gaze Bagon seems good and all but I don't know if I'm comfortable with having a colorless-weak Bagon with all the starter Dunsparce out there...

Last edited:
Salamence crushes Blaziken/Rayquaza. So I think the best thing to counter Garde & Amphy would be Wobuffet. Maybe Meditite too for Aggron & Amphy.

Pidgeotto Trainer said:
Salamence crushes Blaziken/Rayquaza. So I think the best thing to counter Garde & Amphy would be Wobuffet. Maybe Meditite too for Aggron & Amphy.
I might use Wobbuffet but it would be really hard to effectively run Water, Fire, and Psychic eneriges in the same deck. Meditite seems way too situational for me... I have never seen anyone running an Aggron ex deck in a tourney so it would be just for Amphy... I'd prefer Wobb against him too, but I'd have to play an odd energy line and some Lady Outings...

I think the eeveelutions go with Salamence perfectly! Vaporeon and Flareon only need one of their particular type of energy to work while the rest could be any color. Espeon takes 3 colorless for Energy Crush, which might be useful against Gardevoirs. I had a friend that played it with Sandstorm Arcanine though and that seems to work pretty well too.

Misdreavus said:
I might use Wobbuffet but it would be really hard to effectively run Water, Fire, and Psychic eneriges in the same deck. Meditite seems way too situational for me... I have never seen anyone running an Aggron ex deck in a tourney so it would be just for Amphy... I'd prefer Wobb against him too, but I'd have to play an odd energy line and some Lady Outings...
Well if your playing Salamence you should be playing Multi energy anyways. It isn't adding any new energy line. 4 Multi is fine.

Pidgeotto Trainer said:
Well if your playing Salamence you should be playing Multi energy anyways. It isn't adding any new energy line. 4 Multi is fine.
I was actually thinking it would be easier if I go something like for 8-8 or 9-9 for a Water/Fire energy ratio... it seems like it would be a lot more effective at powering up Salamence since there can only be 4 Multis and you would be more likely to get both energy types if there are an equal (or close to equal) amount of them.

Good point Pop, I wonder if it is better to run four Rainbow or four Multi in a case like this?

I still think the Multi would be best for, as dkates points out, you only need one P for Wobbufet's attack.

Wobb is just too good not to play at this point and Multi's would work just fine since Wobby really only needs one :psychic: for his attack. With all the decks running some sort of EX pokemon it cant' really hurt to use him

Back