Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

San Diego BR report with Sablelock

gashmoigidy

Since i've been kinda giving up on pokemon, I had absolutely no idea what to play. I hadn't even touched a deck in weeks. The night before BR's I call Stevo and ask for advice. We talk for a while and eventually I think about playing sablelock. At first he's kinda meh about it, but eventually he agrees it's an OK play. I've haven't really tested the deck before, but I thought it'd be fun to play. So I get there see Schutte, Martin, Stevo and other people. Round 1 starts and i'm playing against this guy Adam.

R1 vs. Adam (Gyarados)
Adam gets a double sableye start and collecters for 2 karp and a regi. i get the T1 Honchkrow to kill one sableye, then after he impersonates again I kill the second one. This third turn was really important. If he got the Gyarados the game was over. But if he didn't, I could win. He whiffs, and I Judge him. Now I start honchkrowing his benched pixies for 20 then killing them the next turn. I take a couple prizes this way, forcing his regice to the active spot. Right after this happens he gets the BTS magikarp-gyarados :p. He can't get the regice out of the active spot, and I snipe his field with Garchomp FTW.

1-0

R2 Vs. Jeff (Gyarados)
Jeff's a chill pokedad who goes to my league. I got a quick start with sableye, and kill tons of basics while judging when he got a big hand. Never saw a gyarados untill I had 1 prize left.

2-0

R3 Vs. Lik (Cursegar)
This matchup was really easy. I killed like three spritombs as he tried to setup. He then made the mistake of belting his Gengar SF, which I killed with my honchkrow. I sniped with Garchomp for the last prize.

3-0

R4 Vs. Ryan (Jumpluff)
I got paired down. My start was absolutely horrible, I eventually tried to make a comeback but it was nowehere near enough. He won by three prizes I think.

3-1

R5 Vs. Michael (Shuppet)
I got paired up. He starts with Unown Q, I start with Chatot G. He draws and passes. I collector for unown Q and Garchomp, Q the chatot, retreat for garchomp, attach DCE, and claw swipe for game.

4-1

Top 4 cut, Michael from round 5 has to play a Mother Gengar, and I have to play Martin's Luxchomp. He decides to drop though, so I get a bye. We do play a fun game though, so that was cool. I watch Lauri and Michael's game, Michael wins 2-1 on time.

Top 2 Vs. Michael (Shuppet)

Game 1- He starts dunsparce, I start Sableye. I have the special dark. GG

1-0

Game 2- He gets a pretty slow start, and I get a good one. I setup with sableye and swing with Garchomp for like 3 prizes. He tries a comeback, but power spray stops it. He puts a banette active which does end up being kind of hard to kill, but I eventually hit it with Garchomp for game.

2-0

Props:
San Diego People you know who you are
Stevo doing OK in seniors

Slops:
None really

Last edited:
Sure, I can go tomorrow. I was just really tired from a school lock in/party last night so I was really tired this morning.

Back