Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Sanctioning tournaments played at private residence

Rainbowgym

I just found out that I can sanction tournaments who are played from a private residence.

I always thought this was not allowed, but I see the National Distributor (which is Head OP and the rep of POP/PUI in our country) sanctioning tournaments played at private residences so if they can, I can do to.
Or did I understand it all wrong again.

This is in the International POP TO Handbook
The National Head OP should at least know these rules or are they only for show?

Selecting an Appropriate Tournament Venue
The tournament organizer is responsible for selecting an event site that is safe and secure for children and adults, in a site available to the general public. Specifically, the tournament must take place in a well-lit location, with appropriate safety measures in place. Tournaments may not be held in private locations, such as a person’s house. Tournament organizers are encouraged to hold it in likely venues, such as a local game store or game conventions.

I would say,as a general rule, that this is definate no no. It is so open to abuse that it just wouldn't work! It would be so difficult to enforce all the different rules and in general a private residense is plain unsuitable!

Agreed, a POP-sanctioned event must be in a publically accessible location. A private home residance is by far risky because a public venue should have had safety and health inspections amongst other factors. Homes do not.

Its insurance , $$$$,

No play in a private residence

But did you say that is the case? Is that really happening?
Is the distributer allowing this now? They are opening themselves up to risk. Not smart.

But if this is the case we should fight for the right to do that on this side of the pond also :)

(BTW Thats a joke there in the sentance above this)

The more I read these threads the more I think the problem is the distributers.
Is PUI contracted with these folks? So do you need to ride out these contracts?
Are these distributers who were already in the nintendo pipe line who were use to just selling video game product. (Lets call that a not interactional product) So maybe they were not prepared or didnt understand the OP set up?
Is there some international trade laws etc. that may prevent PUI fro addressing this in a manner that will make the players happy?

Back on topic:
Whom ever is having this in a home sure better have insurance. And I mean sat down and specificly purchased coverage for this.

Last edited:
Rainbowgym said:
I always thought this was not allowed, but I see the National Distributor (which is Head OP and the rep of POP/PUI in our country) sanctioning tournaments played at private residences so if they can, I can do to.

Even better, why don't you bring your players to those tournaments? Share rides and get as many people to the tournament as you can. Take pictures of the tournament in progress, saying, "these will be great to add to my collection of tournament photos!" Force them out of the private residences. Be like Gandhi. Smile while you do it, but show them why tournaments in houses doesn't work.

And you might want to consider going directly to Nintendo, not PUI, with your complaints. It seems that you might need to escalate the level of your concerns. Make sure you document all communications and instances of things like sanctioning of tournaments in private residences.

best wishes to you,
:unknown-b

Back