Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Sandstorm Marill - retreat cost

bulbasnore

Administrator
Staff member
Trader Feedback Mod
'K folks, while poring over his cards from yestday's pre-release, my son noted that

Marill 68/100

has two versions that are identical except for the retreat cost. One has a one retreat, the other has NONE.

So, would the ruling be...play as written? :lol:

I played many decks with Marrils and just realized that one of the last people I faced had free retreating Marrils, while every other deck I faced had Marril's with Retreat Costs. I got jipped!

I think that the one with the Retreat Cost is the right one because why would a Marill be a free retreater? And Nintendo might have forgotten to add it on in the beginning, and later put it on or vice-versa.

Actually, a more likeley explination would come from looking at past experiences. Some WOTC cards were printed missing things because the machine ran out of ink, or another manufacturing error. If some marril were printed correcly(with a retreat cost assuming how that is suppost to be) and some were not, there was probably a manufacturing error. While there is no current ruling, its up to the people playing and or running and event where these cards are played whether you want to play as is, or do a self errata.

My opinion: While it would be more fair to everyone for an errata, play the card as is for now.

Ice'Cold said:
My opinion: While it would be more fair to everyone for an errata, play the card as is for now.

Meaning - those cards missing the retreat cost, retreat for free, but if it has a retreat cost, pay it on those cards??

Nintendo should say something before the next round of pre-releases. We shouldn't have to wait for October. There are tournaments now!!!

Last edited:
Actually, is was just kidding about the 'play as written' bit. I know it has to be errata'd but I agree that at the moment, we should probably 'play as printed' which is what I should have written.

Look at the ID# on the two Marrills. Are they the same? If so, then I'm sure it's a misprint. Also, scan their dot codes to check any differences.

Regarding how to handle misprints, IMO, these Marrills should be played-as-printed. The only misprints I'm aware of that were erratted (ie., Blaine's Charizard, one of those WOTC AQ Crystal Pokemon) are the one's where it doesn't make sense to play-as-printed.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the Rocket Vileplume mix up with the Fighting Weakness. That really change the viability of that card in that day.

Anyways, I'd have to say play as written.
-Phil

Hmm, SteveP introduced an interesting point. With Ru/Sa, the ID numbers are totally different..it depended on it's position. So if SandStorm carried this tradition, they shouldn't have the same ID, unless of course they were placed in the same position.

'sensei found that different print runs (presumably) have different codes on them. Note the ID's, but there are other codes printed on the cards. Check them.

I'm with the play as printed camp, just like Best Hitmonchan.

At the St. Louis/St. Charles Sandstorm Prerelease, until overruled, we will abide by the PLAY AS PRINTED rule....

Meganium45

Well so far, from Ru/Sa, all 4 of my Metal energies have the same codes..and they're all normal + 2 Blazikens of mine have the codes on them.

gets out eraser and trys to make all his Marill's free retreat!

In casual play I don't see any problem with play as written... but I'd hate for these things to be tornament worthy cards that are also rare because the printer's quality control isn't quite good enough.

With the other examples like Best 'Chan ALL of the cards have the same 'error'.

I really do believe that Pokemon needs an Oracle/God Book to act as the ultimate reference for the card text for just such situations.

Well, I guess it depends on how prevelent they are. If there are a lot of both versions, it should be play as printed.

If there are only a few of the free retreaters, then it should be errated.

Only PUSA can answer which is the way to go.
Until they do, the default is to play as printed.

I have one of each card. They are identical except for the retreat cost and the lot number under the weakness symbol (free retreat: 3VE-5RY-J3X, 1 cl retreat: 3VE-5RY-STD).

It's not as simple as a printer losing its ink supply, if that was the case you'd have messed up text as well and a white circle where the colorless symbol should go. The FR Marill obviously went to press with no retreat cost.

Very strange! I'll run them both through the E-Reader when I get the chance and report back what I find.

And I also agree with the "play as printed" decision.

Last edited:
Sandstorm Marill - retreat cost - Scan Results

babayaga said:
I'll run them both through the E-Reader when I get the chance and report back what I find.

The cards scan exactly the same:

Marill
-------------------------------
No. 055
Aqua Mouse
HT. 1'04" WT. 19.0 lb
Area
Ruby/Sapphire:
ROUTE 117, ROUTE 120, etc.

Marill