Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Sandstorm Pre-Release Event, Sturgis, Michigan Sept 6th W/HOTELS

farbsman

Pokemon EX Sandstorm Pre-Release Tournament
September 6th 2003
Sturgis Michigan
Old Hallmark Store near KB Toy Works in the Sturgis Plaza
895 S. Centerville Rd. Sturgis, MI 49091

Registration begins at 11am Michigan/Ohio time (10am Indiana/Illinois Time)
Play begins at Noon Michigan/Ohio time (11am Indiana/Illinois Time)

Cost: $20

Q: What is a Prerelease Tournament?

A: A Prerelease Tournament is a tournament that features a set of cards that have not yet been released. Usually, these events are run a week to two weeks prior to the official release date for that set of cards.

Q: How can I get ready for the event if I don't have the cards yet?

A: Part of the fun of a Prerelease tournament is trying to figure out which cards to put in your deck, which can be tricky, since you've never seen them before!

Q: How do I get the cards to build my deck?

A: When you register and pay your admission fee, you'll be given six (6) booster packs to build your deck. Energy cards are available from the tournament organizer. These cards are yours to keep, regardless of how well you do in the tournament.

Q: Do I get anything else for participating in the tournament?

A: Yes! Everyone who signs up for the event will receive a special prerelease card from the upcoming expansion that is only available at one of these events!

Q: What is the format of the tournament?

A: The format is "sealed deck", you'll build a 40 card deck from the booster packs you receive. Your tournament organizer will be supplied with energy cards for you to use as well. We will also provide the tournament organizer with Quick Start rules, with suggestions on how to build a sealed deck.

Q: How much does it cost to enter?

A: $20 US dollars.

Q: When is the EX-Sandstorm Prerelease tournament in Sturgis, Michigan?

A: September 6th 2003

Q: How do I register and is there a deadline?

A: Registration begins at 11am Michigan/Ohio time (10am Indiana/Illinois Time)
Play begins at Noon Michigan/Ohio time (11am Indiana/Illinois Time)

Q: Are there any age restrictions?

A: NO! Pokemon Organized Play is featuring three age brackets for tournament play. Our age brackets are; 10 and under, 11 to 14, and 15 and over. All events will feature the same prize structure for all three age brackets!

Q: What are the Prizes?

A: Excellent question! The prize schedule is listed below. Remember, we're awarding these prizes to each age group!

1st Place
1 Box of Pokémon-e TCG: Ex Sandstorm Booster Packs

2nd Place
18 Pokémon-e TCG: Ex Sandstorm Booster Packs

3rd Place
9 Pokémon-e TCG: Ex Sandstorm Booster Packs

4th Place
9 Pokémon-e TCG: Ex Sandstorm Booster Packs

5-8th Place
4 Pokémon-e TCG: Ex Sandstorm Booster Packs

And remember, everyone gets to keep the cards from the packs they received for the tournament, as well as an EX Sandstorm Prerelease Promo Card.

Prerelease tournaments are the best way to get a sneak peek at upcoming card sets, and a great way to get some of those great cards in your hands before everyone else does!

Also that weekend will be the 1600+ Holo-Foil Card Tournament, you can find more information on that tournament here

Looks to be a huge weekend for Pokemon in Sturgis Michigan!!!

Hotel Info
If you plan on getting a hotel you may want to book early. Notre Dame has there first home game that weekend and hotels are going fast. That is also why the rooms are so expensive. We are only about 30 miles from Notre Dame.

Holiday Inn Express
45 West 750 North
Howe, IN 46746
1-260-562-3660
1-800-953-6287
$109-169 a night

Hampton Inn
71451 South M-66
Sturgis, MI 49091
1-269-651-4210
1-800-HAMPTON
$109-119 a night

Super 8
7333 N. State Rt 9
Howe, IN 46746
1-260-562-2828
$63-70 a night

Knights Inn
70045 S. Centerville Road
Sturgis, MI 49091
1-269-651-8505
$49-59 a night

Travel Inn
50 W 815 N
Howe, In 46746
(260) 562-3481
$58 a night

Even though the hotels above are in Sturgis/Howe they are all within about a tenth of a mile from each other. They are all, except Knights Inn, located right off 80/90 toll road at the border of Indiana/Michigan. Knights Inn is the closest to the tournament and is about 1/2 mile from the store, the others are about 1-2 miles away but all of them you just pull out of the hotel and drive straight down the road to get to the tournament location. I will get a map up later to show how close they are and where they are located, or you can just use a mapping program with the addresses above to see for yourself. The road they are on has about 4 names that is why they are all not on the same road. Depends on which state and what part of the road you are on. There are more hotels in the area, will get them up when I get the cost per night and phone numbers.

Last edited:
The cost for this event is $20. I am trying to find a way to bring down that cost. However I am not promising anything. Will have Hotel information posted on Wednesday.

Added more detailed information on tournament. Depending on attendance, I may add to the prize list. Also, if you go to both tournaments on Saturday and Sunday, you can save $3 on registration. Instead of $20 for the prerelease and $10 for the sunday tournament. You pay a one time cost of $27. This cost with get you into both major tournaments on those days, but does not include any side events.

Last edited:
Late notice but I hope some of you coming to the event in Sturgis get this on time. Saturday I will also be running a Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire Gameboy tournament after the pre-release event is over. Prizes will consist of Pokemon Sandstorm packs.

May also run other events after the main tournament on Saturday if interest is high enough. Cost of these events will vary.

Last edited:
Back