Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Secretsof2113's Michigan States Report!

secretsof2113

Trader Feedback Mod
After judging Ohio States two years in a row, I finally wanted to get a taste of playing in a states tournament. So, despite the warnings of super bad snow in ohio, we decided to drive out to Michigan to play in the states tourney! I've been working on some decks of mine recently, and my Gardylade deck was really my only fully built deck. So I decided on the fly to play that. I know it does well, so why not, right?

Round 1: I played against a local player who had just gotten into the game. My opening hand has stantler, celio's, a rare candy, a DRE, and a fighting energy. My first draw is a ralts. He starts with a Goldeen. I go first. By turn 2 I have gallade up and ready to go, and I have to wait one more turn to get stantler away. He's unable to get anything built up.

1-0

Round 2: Why do I always get paired up against my boyfriend during tournaments? He was running a Blaziken/Ninetales MT deck. Funny thing was, I was kicking his butt the night before with my deck. This time, we ended up playing to time, and a crucial warp point misplay right before time cost me my final prize. I pulled a stupid, and realized it right afterwards.

1-1

Round 3: I play against someone who has a Venusaur/Empoleon/Smeargle/Garchomp/Tropius deck. Needless to say.....I was able to plow through this. He wasn't running candies.

2-1

Round 4: My first mgmortar deck play. I start picking off some things ealy, but he's able to power up maggy X after I killed off the first one, and I'm in trouble. So I lose.

2-2

Round 5: I played against this guy last year at regionals. He starts with a piplup, and I've got everything to get Gallade out on my first turn. I start psychic cutting down all of his piplups before he can get them started.

3-2

Round 6: Against a Swampert/Togekiss deck. This deck ran really well against me. I knew I had to pick the little guys off first. I was able to KO a Swampert with Gardevoir, and use my Cresseilia Lv. X to KO his benched Togekiss. It was a lot of picking, but choosing the right flipped over prize helped me in this game a lot.

4-2

So I end up going 4-2, and getting 16th. Figures that 3 of my opponents were in the lowest tiers, with one of them going 0-6, putting me at the bottom of the 4-2 tier. But I got 16th which wasn't bad out of 48 masters I believe?

Props:

-going 4-2 in my first states.
-winning a door prize (2 packs of GE and a States poster)
-Buying 4 packs of MT and pulling a Maggy Lv. X
-Umbreon and treecko star cards for cheap!
-Evil Psyduck and his box of JPN goodies!
-Trading for a Darkrai Level X and selling it the next day!
-My boyfriend for braving the trip with me.

Slops

-The crappy roads on the way home.
-no midnight Brawl release because of the weather!
-Boyfriend getting ripped from top cut because his opponent in the 6th round won and then dropped.
-Cheap motel room and their dirty floors.

Overall, we had a lot of fun, and I now have a taste of what regonals is going to look like!

Hahahahaha, it seems like I always get paired up against your boyfriend too. And my hubby! Good showing in Michigan and I'm glad that you guys had a safe trip on those nasty roads.

Back