Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Seniors vs Masters Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

espeon1

This is not a subject about seniors playing against masters. I seem to have noticed something about the Seniors and Masters Divisions. I think it's a really big difference, which is why some decks just won't work in seniors or masters.

What it is, is that seniors games nearly NEVER go to time. This rules out decks that take longer to set up pretty well with the new 30 mins +3 rule. Masters, however, will be able to go to time easily, maybe due to better players, or more experienced, who knows?

What I'm trying to say is, seniors have got a completely different format from Masters, so discuss why you think it's like this, or argue against this fact.

I think seniors get hated on WAY too much.

Seniors isn't exactly easy where I live; there's just less good seniors.

But I am tired of people trash talking seniors and their successes.

I is a senior lol XD

I'm just saying, we have slower players, or decks that move pretty much too quickly to make it to time without losing on purpose

Many more seniors choose reliability over deep strategy. You'll see far more teched-out decks in masters... you'll see a lot more Spiritomb, lock decks, slow playing, etc. etc. When seniors are playing Machamp, straight LuxChomp, etc., and masters are playing tech.dec LuxChomp, VileGar, DialgaChomp, etc., of course the masters will go to time more.

Additionally, and this isn't really "trash-talking," but it's true... Seniors are terrible at stalling, whereas many top-tier masters can predict their opponent's moves better and block them in key spots to prevent fast set ups and give themselves time to recover from bad starts.

Just my two cents.

Where I am, there are plenty of Seniors teching against each other. The metagame is always changing, but it sticks to its BLG roots.

$5 says this thread originated after the OP read the "BR Age Breach" or whatever thread.

anyways, I agree that seniors get hated on a lot.

Much higher average level of gameplay in masters than seniors, mostly due to higher level of thought processes.

And as for hating on seniors, yes I do. A lot. But you try working retail for multiple years. You'll HATE kids and tweens just like I do.

You now owe me $5 Amt :p

It was actually because at a BR on Saturday I was always watching masters games after I finished mine, because all the senior ones had already ended.

And as for hating on seniors, yes I do. A lot. But you try working retail for multiple years. You'll HATE kids and tweens just like I do.

um...

NEways, I think that some seniors are better than masters, and vice versa. But seriously, it's AGE. There could be some great 15 and 14 year olds out there, and the difference is just by one year.

In general, most Masters are better then Seniors - that isn't meant as an insult. In any physical or mental activity ( Sports, Chess, Maths ) you'd expect the 15+ people to generally be better - I don't see why Pokemon is any different. However it is unfair to assume that all Masters are better then Seniors, because there are exceptionals to the rule. Alot of the best Masters where I live have all aged up this year/last year. There are alot of Seniors/Juniors who have friends or older brothers/sisters in the higher divisions who will help them out, playtesting with them which generally brings their playing ability level up to that of a Master.

If I was going to be paired against a Senior, I'd expect an easier game then a Master - but I definately wouldn't consider it an easy game.

I think seniors get hated on WAY too much.

Seniors isn't exactly easy where I live; there's just less good seniors.

But I am tired of people trash talking seniors and their successes.

I agree with this post

im masters just so you know

i think its because that seniors are used to rushing and doing obvious moves and they are falling into misplays when they dont take the time to think out there moves which is very crucial in pokemon

in my area i know a couple of seniors that i think IMO would be great to have in masters

masters > seniors.. it is just such a generalised statement as to be pointless.

repeat after me: "age does not mean superiority"!

"Stronger players can be expected to defeat weaker players". Sure that is another generalisation but a much better one than masters > seniors.

Last edited:
Yeah I dunno how true the OP's point really is.

There are usually a lot more Masters at a tourney so it stands to reason that more Masters games go to time, then they start the next round later than the others so it just looks like all their games take longer.

masters > seniors.. it is just is so general a statement as to be pointless.

age does not mean superiority.

Good post Ian. But in truth, it is SO much harder to dominate in masters then in srs.

Masters players are older, smarter and and there is a LOT more good, solid players in the masters division then in srs.

I don't hate on the srs. at all, but VERY few players who dominated srs. age up and have continued success
in the masters division. Not saying it hasn't happened ( because it has), just saying masters players play at a higher level then srs., thus making it much more difficult to win on a regular basis.

What Kyle has done the past 2 years at nationals ( 1st and a t-4) may be one of the most amazing accomplishments ever in this game considering the size of both events and the quality of competition he had to go thru to accomplish what he did!!

But in truth, it is SO much harder to dominate in masters then in srs.

True dat.

The effect is there in the seniors but it just isn't so easy to see because the bracket is typically smaller and the four year window just makes dominance far less obvious. Plus the moment that a seniors dominance is established for all to see they get bumped into the masters.

So I'd offer that the explanation of why it is so much harder to dominate in masters as being down to the size of the division and the presence of a large number of very very strong masters that don't go away. With those two features both present in the USA no one should expect the emergence of a dominant player in USA masters.

Last edited:
seniors to masters is a big difference. More people who know what they are doing = a much deeper game. that is all

I know ther's a big difference, but remember some adults just start to play, and there already in the masters division with only playing in 1-2 tournaments.

You will only run into players like that in the first rounds. In seniors, you can practicaly make top cut with a relatively random deck with bad support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back