Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Should Championship Points Rollover and be like Currency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JandPDS

You got to feel for the players who will finish the year close to getting into worlds but will be 10-50 points short of the 400 needed and then have to start a back at 0 points next year.

Would it be a good idea if you get to keep the championship points you earned and use them the next season if you don't qualify for Worlds this year.

What if the "cost" to participate in worlds was 400 Championship points. Anyone with that many points in their account can pay the cost to enter and play in that years world championship, regardless of weather they were all earned in one season or in multiple seasons. That way players hard work to get points this year would not be all in vain if they miss out and fall short of the necessary 400 points, but they will be well set to qualify soon for next years World Championship.

You'd have to have it erode somewhat over time, lest you get players that "get lucky" only once or twice at major events several years in a row qualify.

Something like a % is carried over, not 100%

You got to feel for the players who will finish the year close to getting into worlds but will be 10-50 points short of the 400 needed and then have to start a back at 0 points next year.

Would it be a good idea if you get to keep the championship points you earned and use them the next season if you don't qualify for Worlds this year.

What if the "cost" to participate in worlds was 400 Championship points. Anyone with that many points in their account can pay the cost to enter and play in that years world championship, regardless of weather they were all earned in one season or in multiple seasons. That way players hard work to get points this year would not be all in vain if they miss out and fall short of the necessary 400 points, but they will be well set to qualify soon for next years World Championship.

No. Worlds is the premier Pokemon event of the year, not a charity.

No. Worlds is the premier Pokemon event of the year, not a charity.

But is it really charity to let a player who earned 380 champion points participate in the following years event? How about the current situation where some players win a sparsely attended National Championship and get to worlds while other players have done well all year long will fall short?

I don't like the idea of banking championship points, but I wouldn't mind seeing banked invited for players who get the invite but don't have the money to go that year.

I quite don't like the idea. It is already much more easier to get the invite than ever...

And it seems that Americans can even participate to a last chance championship points tournament...

its a neat idea. Treat Championship points like currency and spend them on entry into closed events like worlds.

Add inflation to solve what some may see as a problem where a player who misses one year is able to get enough points over two years to qualify. Inflation can be added in one of two ways. Price escalation or currency devaluation.

So do we have this system already? Yes we do though the current level of currency devaluation is 100% each year. Every year your savings in the CP bank are wiped out. Unless you do well at worlds that is, Worlds CPs are immune to devaluation for one year.

You'd need to devalue them pretty heavily otherwise plenty of people would make it to worlds within a certain number of years. I dunno about spending points, but giving out a head start based on how you did the previous season wouldn't be awful. If you dropped a player to 5% of their end of season points, it could get them over the hump for next year if they were on the border. I think you'd need to severely limit the amount of rollover.

If you dropped a player to 5% of their end of season points, it could get them over the hump for next year if they were on the border. I think you'd need to severely limit the amount of rollover.

This was also my thought. I would say that players should get like 20% of their championship points from the previous season (rounded down to the nearest point) with a maximum of 50 points. This gives every player who went to Worlds a good boost, but not too much with the cap. Every other player who was near or even above 250 will get a good boost as well.

Or, maybe players who go to Worlds don't get any points, and only players who fail to qualify will receive points to help for next year. Players at Worlds already receive CP, probably around half of them get 50 points I believe.

0/10 terrible idea.

:nonono:

Very interesting premise. I like the sound of it.

As others have said though, it might be too "easy" to accumulate points over 2-3 years. Is that a bad thing? Honestly I don't think so. You save up your CPs for a chance to play at a single Worlds. That actually might add some year-over-year loyalty and stickiness to the game.

The downside is that people might choose to bank their CPs to go to a future Worlds, perhaps in a more attractive locale. "Vancouver? Who cares. I'm going to save up for the next time it's in Hawaii." Something like that. Then it gets hard to figure potential attendance.

As the tournament name says, worlds is for the best players in the world... :nonono:

If anybody can get the invite, it will decrease the quality of the tournament and I doubt that this it the objective.

Now it is easier than it was with the ELO system. They say you need 400 points, then 400 points you shall earn in one season ;)
The more tournaments you play in a season, the more chances you put on your side.

Only battle roads can grant your 90CP !!! This is almost 25% of the job.

If you can't gather the points and wish still to experience the taste of worlds, there is still the last chance tournament. It is a very good tournament, but a challenging one..

I wish Championship Points could work as currency to buy other things like in the professor shop. I don't have the money to fly to worlds so I wish my 302 championship points could be spent on sleeves/promos/etc

I mean the 500 vs 400 points has to mean something. I don't know if his idea is thought out very well but I feel like extra points might go for something.

Or maybe TPCi just doesn't have any reason for their pointless actions.... Yup that's it.

I mean the 500 vs 400 points has to mean something. I don't know if his idea is thought out very well but I feel like extra points might go for something.

The 500 vs. 400 points does mean something. It means that you should stop going to tournaments after you already have your invite.

If you get 100 CP for 4 seasons in a row, you are probably not that great of a player. Why should you suddenly have a Worlds invite?

If you get 100 CP for 4 seasons in a row, you are probably not that great of a player. Why should you suddenly have a Worlds invite?

Because they could a great player, but don't get to attend (and win) a lot of tournaments. With Worlds defined as it is (the people who have won the most that year), they shouldn't have an invitation. If you change the definition of what Worlds is, then you can develop an answer to your question. Competing at Worlds every 3-4 years could be a reward for someone who has played the game well enough during that entire time. There wouldn't be anything sudden about it.

Worlds should not be a tournament among others. It should be the confrontation of the best players of every nation.

CP is some kind of natural selection. The strong get the invite, the weak stay at home or try the grinder.

50% of the players at worlds are already North American. This system would benefit only to North American, and that tournament would not be called Worlds anymore.

They should let you exchange the extra points for airline miles. :wink:

Really, I don't think there's a great need for this. The player rewards system (which, granted, rewards participation rather than performance), seems to be an okay incentive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back