Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Show and Telle (NW Masters, Regional Report!)

Shino Bug Master

Front Page News Editor
So, over the battle roads season, I had no interest in Pokemon. I had sold most of my cards worth their weight, including 2 Yanmega Prime right before the box set with them was announced. I was considering not going to Regionals at all, I enjoy my weekend routine as is, didn’t want to spend a bunch of money, and wasn’t prepared or impressed by the format.

But, i sucked it up. Over the past 3 years, I had gotten 2nd, 3rd and 4th. I was itching to give another run at that elusive 1st place. I also have a history of playing stage 2s, usually psychic ones (Jumpluff being the exception) with lock capabilities. So I went with Gothitelle to keep up with the trend. I didnt know how to build a good list and tried a few variants to little or no success. One variant i never got around to trying, and wish i had, was the Shayrachi one. I never needed collector mid/late game and i always had psychic energy stuck past what i could use. I feel i would've gone even farther with that build. But, in light of getting beach and testing Jaymin, here's my list:

4/2/4 Gothitelle
3/2/2 Reuiniclus
1 Reshiram
2 Pichu
1 Cleffa
Pokemon = 21

1 DCE
10 Psychic
Energy = 11

3 Collector
3 PONT
2 Cheren
3 Juniper
3 Twins

3 Junk Arm
3 Catcher
3 Rare Candy
1 Max Potion
1 Switch
3 Communication
T/S/S = 28

I tested only against Reshiplosion, with some mad-proxied decks and learned how to play around any and all Gothitelle "counters" as well as just consistent lists. What more is there to say? Tourney report!

Round 1 vs Handsaem (My Nightmare)
He Ran Mew. MEW. I ended up looking around and talking to people. there were 3 Mews. Out of 202 other players, i get R1 Mew. But I know how to deal with standard Mew, tanking Reshiram and 2Hkoing with Outrage. I fly ahead with Goths taking some Catcher prizes as he struggles to get the energy needed to use the Pluff he LZs. My Goths are useless midgame anyway. He eventually hits an energy mine. I send up a foddermon as I attach DCE to Reshiram. This is where I learned that this is not just Mew. It's Goth nightmare. No VIleplume. He plays Lost Remover on my DCE (Whut) benches a Zorura (whut) and attaches DCE (WHUT!). Kills my fodder. I have nothing to go to except another fodder, prizes now 3/3, my early lead lost. I attach to Reshi. he evolves, catchers and KOs with a Plus Power (WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT). I scoop. I have no win condition.
0-1

Now, i am on the fritz. I haven't gone 0-1 in a tourney in 2 years. I always win/get a bye my first round. I fume a bit, but am mostly just feeling the pressure to win.'

Round 2 vs (??) (Reshiplosion)
I was terrible with names this tourney. I blame it being a two day thing. =/ Anyway, my opponent was nice, but quiet. He starts to setup, I let him. It takes a while. He gets 1 typloshion and a Quilava and takes a prize on one of my babies.. I get up Goth set-up. I don't lose stride past this point in the match-up, I catcher what i need, stack energy where i need, keep prizes even to prevent Black Belt, pass if he isnt attacking, etc and win. I think the first time my opponent really talked was after I won and I wished him good luck.
1-1

Round 3 vs Shelby (Reshiplosion)
She was a newer player, whose deck I actually was helping tweak with a mutual friend who lent it to her. Ha. Anyway, she missed about 2 energy turns. The deck had no Goth tricks. I won.
2-1

I got random deck checked and had to switch a sleeve. Lol. On to the next one.

Roudn 4 vs Matt Mayo (Gothitelle)
I have a bad start with solo solosis. But there is no donk. I eventually get set-up, while we both suffer from bad baby flips. He gets the first Goth behind a sleeping baby. i get the second one behind an also sleeping baby, but with no dce. I went right for the 3 psychic energy. I also play switch, which he didnt. So i get around my sleeping baby, Catcher up his Gothitelle and KO it. He gets up a Gothorita. I catcher KO. he doesnt run enough Gothorita to set-up, and is RC locked and scoops. 4/2/4 is ALL you need for mirror.
3-1

I am feeling a little better having hit the halfway point with only 1 loss, but it beign the first round, i'm still in a tight spot. Gotta gotta win.

Round 5 vs ??? (Tornadus/Zoarark/Weavile)
I get mostly setup before he sees a Weavile. I PONT after he takes the first prize on a baby into 2 Twins, 3 energy and a Communication. He finally plays Weavile. I show him my hand and its obviously not what he wouldve hoped. He throws one twins, but i use the next one to setup past what his deck can stop. 80 damage max is nothing for me. I was just careful to KO every Sneasel I saw so as to avoid Weavile's snipe. Cool deck.
4-1

Round 6 vs ??? (ZPST)
If I had to play my autoloss round 1 when the odds were near 96% i wouldnt play it at all, here was my karma. I start Pichu, lose the initial flip and face down Shaymin. I shudder. He plays Dual Ball for Dual Tails, Junipers, Junk Arms dual tails. Oh Arceus. He has to pass. I playground, setup and win. Now, I feel bad for the quad tails but I also think this shows how bad the T1 rules are and how much the coin flip is a sucky decider. had I gone first, I wouldnt have blinked in this match. However, that 50/50 shot nearly just ended the game. But he still had to play a supporter and 3 trainers to have a shot. Where is the balance I say? this win just had me apologizing and feeling like a scrub. Wish I would've just called the coin and won with style. Oh well.
5-1

Round 7 vs Chris S (Gothitelle)
I start with Pichu, but am forced to Collector T1 as I don’t wish to give him a good setup here. He only runs 1 middle Goth, just like my other opponent. I get the catcher/KO on his Gothorita before he gets a Goth and there's nothing he can do. Chris goes on to be Top 16 though, so good job to him.
6-1

Round 8 vs ??? (Reshiplosion)
I see a Bellsprout as he shuffles. I'm not worried though, i can lose this game and still be in top, but im going to try and play around everythign as I can. Anyway, this match was weird, becasue i took the first prize on a quilava and got BB'd in the face. I have never seen early Black Belt. I had a second Goth to fall back on though, and i started just 2hoting Rams behind this one. I knew to save resources here. i got a significant lead, as i knew by now he ran Bellsprout and SEL, so 2 BB would not fit in his deck. He got out Bellsprout and brought up a Reuiniclus. I had 2 prizes to his 4. I left it up and passed. He ko'd it. I send up Goth and Catcher up Bellsprout, then Jarm for Catcher next turn to win.
7-1

Top 32 plays out tonight, and I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I’d rather lose now then have to wake up early, get here and lose in top 16. However, I want to win xD So I go in with that weird mindset and am playing against...

Top 32 ???? (reshiplosion w Kingdra)
Game 1: I start my top cut with the WORST THINGS EVER ACHIEVED INA TOURNAMENT. 1 Gothita. 1 Solosis. 1 DCE. 4 Psychic energy. I draw into Collector and want to jump for joy. I collector and find my Cleffa prized...NOOOOOOO. He started Cleffa/Cynda/Reshi, so I get another each of my main basics and another Gothita just to be on the safe side. I attach DCE and double slap for 2 head o.o His Cleffa gets spanked to the discard and I draw an energy. oh joy. The next 4 turn go by with my stalling his Reshiram with Hypnotic Gaze while drawing 2 Twins, a Gothitelle and a Catcher. He gets up a Kingdra and kos 2 of my Pokemon and I twins to set-up, catcher and 2hko his Kingdra, and go on to ko anything blue he plays and win with my usual strategy. I thought I was dead for sure :O
Game 2: He goes first and sets up 2 kingdra really quick, even before typloshion. This was actually a great playa s he starts throwing weird damage on my field, not taking prizes and im having a hard time finding Reuiniclus. It gets to where he does set up, and that extra 2 counters a turn and not being able to hide behind anything makes it difficult. I scoop at what i find out is the best moment.
Game 3: I set up my first Goth with an energy and a Goth active and time is called. He has turn 0, and its tied 6-6. I actually love this scenario, because he hits my first Goth for 120, missing KO. I play switch into my other Gothitelle, attach and pass. He is turn 2 and hits for 120, missing ko. I draw, attach and catcher for game. Goth takes the first prize like a BOSS!
8-1

So the first day ends and i go hang out with my mates in the hotel room and we swing by Denny’s. I ordered a "sampler" which apparently in Salem translates to "An onion ring basket with a sample of things you wish you got instead". I dont really like onion rings, but I paid for half the thing so I ate most of them.

I got up the next morning at 6:30 and barely was able to get to the bathroom before getting sick. THANKS DENNYS. THANKS. I shower it off, skip breakfast and get some water. And then we roll out.

Top 16 vs Alex B (Reshiplosion)
Game 1: One fun thing to note, I haven’t and won’t end up going first since round 4. Anyway, he goes first, and he tells me he's glad to be playing Gothitelle. Which is fine by me. I'm happy to be playing against Reshiplosion XD. He sets up, trying to Flare Destroy the game away. I just play around it with active walling Goth. it actually takes us forever t get enough energy on the field to attack. I think we each drew/evolved/passed for like 8 turns. But eventually he gets energy and I am setup, I move counters, give kos, find out he has no tricks vs Goth and proceed to Goth for 130 everything he has (his Plosions already dying from Afterburner).
Game 2: I miss like, everything. he damage floods me like no one's business. I scoop this game after i give up 3 prizes and can’t keep a lock up.
Game 3: Plays out a bit like Round 1, energy weren’t as present as you would expect. I beat him just before time is called. On to top 8, having played nothing but randoms/mirror/lucksucked zpst and reshiplosion. Oh yeah.
9-1

Top 8 vs Kenan (Ross.dec)
Game 1: I had never tested this so I had no clue what to do. I talked to a friend who lost to him in the last round trying to brainstorm. I figured I would use his active Donphan against him and try and Deleting Glare his energy off the bench, since he would trainer lock for me. Unfortuantely, I had a Gothorita Prized, so I could only play 1 Gothitelle. Meaning i have no game plan, and he racks up EQ damage to ko his own Donphan and use SEL to take the game.
Game 2: I go hyper offensive and kill every oddish and solosis piece that hits the board and he scoops.
Game 3: I have a Gothorita prized again and I whiff the candy 3 turns in a row til he gets up Vileplume and retreat, evolving to Duosion. I have no way to win and I play out the slaughter, trying to rack up enough damage on his SEL to actually do something while playing down both Reuiniclus to try and survive his snipe. To no success.
9-2.
Kenan was a fantastic player though, he knew every out, every damage counter, every card like the back of his hand. I'm sure he could play the deck as well as any player, if not as well as Ross himself. He goes on to win, so i'm fine with the loss. Top 8 is the worst i've done in 4 years, so nothing worth complaining about xD

Props:
Jt/Aaron/Ben for hanging, being supportive, rides, food, the whole thing =D
Mr. Raichu and Mama June for the hotel room and being awesome
The judge team being comprised of all my homies (Breon, Seth, Chris, Jacob, Nicole etc)
Making top cut with Bossitelle.
RE-UN-I-CLUS!
Making it past the first round of the second day.
Decent cards in packs.

Slops:
Event being 2 days. it did nothing for me but cost more money. Glad if you enjoyed the set-up, did nothing for me.
Reshiplosion everywhere
None of my friends making top with me.
NV not being legal
Coin flips
Prizes being weak.

I haven't seen anyone play Ross that well since I watched Ross play Ross. You beat face in all day, was a joy to follow you for the last bit. Don't be hard on yourself for that loss, as far as I saw there were no misplays - great games all around.

Back