Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Sigh. Can. Nats report

SlimeyGrimey

Well I don't feel like elaborating a bunch on what happened, so I'll pretty much get right down to things. I'm playing Flygon/Gardy, but you knew that.

Round 1: Theme deck
I just win.

1-0

Round 2: Gardevoir d/something

I get a poor start but he only gets a Gardevoir d all game. I eventually set up and ko it after sacking 4 prizes.

2-0

Round 3: Infernape

He mulligans a bunch of times, and then gets a horrible start. I don't think he ever got an infernape out. I win pretty easily.

3-0

Round 4: Greg C. Swampert/tech

I have the turn 2 flygon d in my hand, and after thinking about it for a while realize that he's not going to be able to deal with being rushed like this with having no energy in the discard/constantly ending his own turn just to get energy. So I go for the aggro and beat him pretty easily

4-0

Round 5: Lorrie L. Empoleon

I take a while to set up, which gives her the time to build 2 Empoleon on the bench. She ko's my Flygon ex with empoleon lv x which I would have been able to ko if I had been aware of the errata of the pokebody to a pokepower. (she had cursed stone) When I do ko the lv x, she tells me I've draw an extra prize, which is really odd because I know I only drew one for the lv x, so I don't know when I did pick it up. So I have to put a prize back and she gets to draw one. Eventually the game comes down to her having a stage 1 of empoleon (whatever its called) with a metal attached and a lickitung as all she has on the bench. I have ray ex d with 70 on it and realize that if she has the castform she wins the game against my ray ex d, since she has just two prizes left. I have no options though and just take the ko. She has the castform. If I hadn't taken the prize penalty she would have still had one prize remaining and I would have been able to sweep her remaining pokemon with gardevoir ex. =/=/

4-1

Round 6: Geneses. Golem/Exploud/Stantler

I have to bench some basics that I don't really want to to dd. He doesn't get an energy past 1 on his stantler, so I get a lot of time to set up. I decide to just power ray ex for 70 so I can ko his stantlers. He never gets anything going really and I just beat him slowly while his cess and stone are locked in play.

5-1

Round 7: Jenny J. Absolutions

I get a great start for Absolutions, candying down my sceptile around turn 5. Sceptile basically makes it impossible for her to do anything, so I just ray ex d to ko 3 ex's ftw.

6-1

I believe I was 4th seed going into top16.

Top 16: Matthew K. Flygon

Semi-mirror.

Game 1: He gets an awful start. He sacs things for a few turns hoping to draw something, but eventually decided to concede.

Game 2: He sets up a little faster than me, but I manage to get it back to even. I get out two Flygons to his one, and imprison his. He uses ampharos so he can delta supply onto a lugia. I realize the lugia could cause me some problems, and to negate that and the potential flygon ex d that would cause gardevoir some problems, I candy down my sceptile and effectively lock him out of the game with no delta supplies, as he can't get another flygon d out with fearow imprisoned.

7-1

Top 8: Brandon. Infernape

Game 1: He mulligans two or three times and then starts a skitty. He tries to rush me with delcatty ex since he isn't drawing anything ;x. Fortunately I set up well enough and respond with flygon ex d. I ko his delcatty and a benched guy, and then he concedes the game with just a damaged infernape left to my full setup.

Game 2: He gets me to go first and starts a lone skitty again. I start trapinch. He doesn't bench anything. I candy down flygon d and win.

8-1

So I have a good 40+ minutes now to wait for the other top 8 matches to finish. I'm really happy because things look quite good for me. Anway, as the matches wrap up and we wait for just Bidier and Darryl to finish. Kant and I basically discuss who we want to get paired against and stuff. I basically decide my first choice is bidier since he's playing metalix, which has tested to be a very easy matchup. I'm also not too worried about playing Geneses since I know I can beat him since I did earlier.

Top 4: Bidier J. Metalix

He's playing the Nidoqueen version, not meganium.

Game 1: I start trapinch and draw into nothing, as well as discovering fearow is prized which really didn't help. I'm eventually forced to concede after sacking a bunch of cards.

Game 2: I start trapinch against his castform. He begins to set up, but I have no trainers and am forced to just evolve up to flygon ex d. Fearow is prized again which really causes me some difficulty. I hate just going with something like flygon ex at the start of the game because I obviously have no hand and no support behind it. However, he sets up in such a way that he has no metagross dx on the table and so latios* is not a threat, so I'm safe with flygon ex for a few turns at least. I manage to pull a 7 card scientist with my 0 card hand and then set up some flygon d's and a gardevoir just in time to respond to his Latios* ko on my flygon ex d. He then sends up metagross to do 80, but I imprison it. and set it to 90 damage with prizes at 3-1 in my favor. I hold a ray ex d and switch in my hand, so if he benches a beldum or is unable to remove his metagross from play I win the game. He briney's his metagross but with only one super connectivity available he is unable to do anything meaninful and I just ko his steelix ftw.

Game 3: We're told we have 16 minutes left, which is more time than I expected. I reason its probably enough. Anyway I start ralts against his castform. I mentor and discover fearow is prized for the third time this match and am just really frustrated with that. I retreat ralts for castform turn 2 to dd, but he warp points me the next turn forcing me to waste my only energy to retreat back to castform. Since he has typically been a little bit slow to set up I decide to ko his castform with my flygon d, having a pretty good sized hand. He however responds with his metagross ex and shuffles my hand back into my deck. =/ I think I can ko his Metagross ex immediately which would virtually win me the match, putting me up 3 prizes with him having nothing to fall back upon. So I research my gardevoir ex d, thinking I'm going to briney my flygon so I can use the castform to ko with gardevoir. However, as you may have noticed, and as I did after I finished pulling gardevoir ex out of my deck, this move required two supporters. So I have to retreat my flygon anyway or else they're both going to get knocked out by metagross ex's attack, so I put up castform and dd, but of course he uses metagross' power again. I pull a hand of 4 pokemon and draw a 5th after he ties prizes at 5 with a ko on my castform. I'm forced to sac another basic since I drew into nothing. He lays two metal onto metagross ex now and makes me draw a new 4 which is a huge relief. He goes up on prizes 4-5. I have the energy + castform now to attack with gardevoir, but since he's got the extra metals on his metagross I now can only put it to within 10 of being ko'd. He has no threats to my Gardevoir in play, so I activate it and set his Metagross to 140. He accidentally sets it to 160 and so the judge eats like 15 seconds correcting it. =/ He starts to take his turn and is basically trying to figure out what he can possibly do since his metagross dx is imprisoned and he has no energy or threats on his bench. As he's wrapping up his turn the judge calls time. I get really upset because I realize I'm going to go ahead 3-4 next turn, and it was just a few seconds away. He shows me his hand and there's nothing there, so I basically don't know what to think, since I should be on my way to the final, but instead am forced to play against kant for 3rd which is exactly what we hoped wouldn't happen.

8-2

So I'm quite upset at this point, becuase I was so close to being in the final, and because only one of kant and I can make it to worlds now.

3rd/4th match: Kant S. Infernape

Game 1: I can't concentrate at all, having no time to regroup after my upsetting top 4 loss. I misplay a ton and just can't think. He has a horrible set up this game, but I still manage to get slaughtered after he finally gets stuff going.

Game 2: Again I start no mentor and misplay a bunch. I lose really bad.

8-3

The really hard part about that 3rd/4th match is it was very winnable. I probably should have been able to win the first game if I had been able to concentrate, so who knows how things would have gone.

Props:
-Kevin coming up with the name Gor-gon for my deck. Brilliant.
-Everyone I talked to for making the event worth going to.
-People I borrowed cards from and stuff. Thanks.

Slops:
-Me misplaying a bunch
-horrible luck against bidier (fearow prized all 3 games, no castform starts)
-Time

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment regarding your deck (I mean, the deck pretty much begs for that name :tongue: ) For your info though, the last opponent in your last Swiss Round was against Jenny J. (?) ... Lorrie L. was the one that played Empoleon

Last edited:
GORDONNNNNNNN
We love you man!
XF<333

He speaks for all of us!

Hey, Top 4 at an event of that size is quite an accomplishment, even though you didn't snag a trip. You're a great player, Gordon, you just had some bad luck and made a few mistakes. DON'T let it discourage you, but rather, look forward to next year. The Truth IS Out There.

XF!!!

What the heck is "THE TRUTH"? Just a SD? I've been seeing things on the gym referring to it almost all season.

You are a very good player, and a good sport besides. My hat is off to you. People like you made this event well worth going to. It's too bad you didn't get that little extra time, I wish it happened differently. However, you certainly will be at Nat's next year, and will have a good shot at the trips then, that's for sure.

Gordon, you're the best of the best, and I hate the fact that things had to go down this way. It really should have been us in the finals =/

I hope we can have a better match in the future =/

Good Job for getting T4. I think how you felt in after your 1st Match
in T4 is pretty similar to how i've been feeling all year. Just keep playing
and you'll make it again.

Back