Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Skull Bash's CT States Report

Skull Bash

I woke up fairly early, showered, ate, and met up with Let Fire Fall and his brother to go over to the CT States. Before it started, I was debating on whether to go with my Machamp PK/Jirachi EX/Mew EX/Stantler deck, or go with my Gengar LM/Medicham EX/Lickitung DF I had been working on. I decided on Machamp after looking at some of the decks that were there, I didn’t see any Flygon so I thought it wasn’t played. And…I was wrong.

Round 1 vs. Flairados

Naturally I had terrible luck this game. He mulliganed a few times, and I started with Machop, hoping he had a lone Eevee start because I saw the Rare Candy and Double Rainbow in my hand. He started with Spinarak with an Eevee on the bench. Araidos and Machamp were going at it for awhile, and I had a Holon’s Magneton on a Jirachi EX on the bench after a little while. The most important flip then came up in the battle when he laid down an ER2. Heads. If he didn’t get that Energy Removal 2, I would have retreated for Jirachi, killed his Araidos and kept a lock going, so he couldn’t evolve into Flareon EX and it’s power activating. After a little while it was 6-1 in prizes in his favor and I finally draw into something. I Steven’s, get some cards I need, and rare candy into Machamp, Scramble, and with Overzealous it killed Araidos. He sent up Flareon after that and Heat tackled me, killing himself so he could do 70. I did 40 to his Araidos, then he evolved it into Flareon and killed my last Machamp. Good game. 0-1

Round 2 vs. Flygon EX D/Gardevoir

Of course, one of my worst matchups, Flygon. We had some exchanges, and it ended up coming down to a flip again. I had Machamp active with a protective orb and 4 energies attached. I needed to flip heads with Cross Chop and with Overzealous he was dead. I Flip. Tails. Of course, now it takes another turn to kill him, and by that time his Gardevoir was too much for me to handle. 0-2.

Basically I know now that to even have a shot at the Top 8, I have to win out.

Round 3 vs. Ho-oh EX/Delcatty EX/UF Eeveelutions

I pretty much had this game in hand the entire time, even with my bad start. At one point she did 110 with her Ho-oh EX but I recovered, and it ended with me doing 80 with Machamp to her Jolteon UF. 1-2

Round 4 vs. Dusclops EX/Gardevoir

I actually let him manually kill my Stantler(It took 7 turns) just because I knew I had the game in hand. I killed his Dusclops EX and a few Gardevoir pre-evo’s while he tries to Hypnosis me, and I flipped heads on one, and killed his Kirlia. 2-2

Round 5 vs. Arcanine EX/Houndoom

He starts with Smeargle, I don’t know why. I start with Machop. I use smash punch, tails. He does 20 with Smeargle because of weakness. I evolve into Machoke and kill Smeargle. Basically this game he had an energy drought which took its tole later on. I thought he had me locked with a Crystal Beach and Houndoom, but I Briney’d Machamp, and used another one hitting his Arcanine for 70 and knocking it out. After that, he tried to paralyze me as a last stand but got tails. 3-2

Round 6 vs. Flairados

So I end this tournament against the same deck I started it with. Except previous to this tournament I hear he’s 24-0 or something like that. Anyway, I start out with Jirachi EX, and he ends up spider trapping and killing it a couple turns later. After that I send up Machop, and he goes, let me guess, Rare Candy, Machamp Scramble. And that’s what I did to kill his Araidos. It comes down to me Scotting for a couple cursed stone and laying it down. He flips 2 Super Scoop Ups. Tails, Tails. I flip for Cross Chop and get heads. So basically he looses on luck, but that’s how it goes sometimes. Very good game. 4-2

So I look for the standings hopeful, and once again I miss top cut due to resistance. I had the worst resistance out of all the 4-2’s and end up coming in 12th.

Props:

Let Fire Fall for coming in Third.
My 4 game in a row comeback.
Machamp
Meeting Gino(Gdogthechamp) and some other people there

Slops:

Tails on 2 flips that would have won me the first 2 games. I guess it balanced itself out the last game though.
Let Fire Fall’s Little brother not winning 11-14.
Flygon EX D. It destroys my deck.
Resistance. I hate how they make you play worse people just because you lose a couple of games, which screws up your resistance, essentially being the reason I didn't get in with my amazing comeback.

Back