Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Slow-Moving Metagross Deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

PokeFreakNikki

My brother's deck needs some help. We've tried to do okay with it, but he's saying it's moving slowly, he can't seem to retreat when he gets Metagross powered up, and overall he's just not winning. He went 3-2 in yesterday's Battle Roads, but still didn't place. Help 'im out, please?

Pokemon:
2 Mawile (GE)
3 Jirachi (LA)
2 Baltoy (GE)
2 Claydol (GE)
3 Gligar (LA)
2 Gliscor (LA)
2 Gliscor Lv. X (LA)
4 Beldum (LA)
1 Metang (LA)
2 Metang (LA)
3 Metagross (LA)

Trainers:
3 Pokedex HANDY910is
3 Poke Radar
3 Rare Candy
4 Technical Machine TS-1
3 Roseanne’s Research
3 Bebe’s Search

Energy:
6 Basic Metal Energy
4 Special Metal Energy
5 Fighting Energy

Strategy:

Since I mainly made this deck (other thana the Metagross--that was his idea), I suppose I could point out some things.

Pokemon:

I added Mawile because of its Pick Out power. Some people play more supporters than trainers, and in turn get quite a few prized. I threw this in to help him set up.

Jirachi was a no-brainer. Draw whatever you want the next turn, or knock out a Pokemon. I figured it'd help.

I put in the Gliscor for the X's power. It paralyzes and poisons the defending Pokemon, so unless someone has a Switch or Warp Point, he could pull up Jirachi and Doom Desire, trapping them for the turn and preventing them from being able to stop the effect.

Trainers:

I put in the TS-1s (or Evoluters) to help him get Metagross/Gliscor up. I figured it'd help, being a Phione replacement without worrying about retreating.

While building the deck, I totally forgot about Night Maintenance. He says that's part of the problem.

Attacking:

Usually he uses Pick Out or One Desire for a few turns, while powering up a Beldum/Metang/Metagross on the bench. He also tries to get up a Claydol. The problem for him is, he doesn't get up the energy to do much else.

---

Help him out, please? Thanks for reading, and I know his deck needs a lot of work! ^^

~Nikki :metal:

I'm also trying to build a Metagross deck, but haven't found that perfect pair for it yet. I'm really liking it with Jirachi (plus Jirachi's one of my absolute favorite Pokemon, and a good card on its own to boot), but want to pair it with a water type for the fire weakness. My main issue with running it seems oddly enough to be powering up for attack, and hit points, rather than anything else, like getting the cards I need, and I'm not even running Claydol yet (lent them to someone else's deck).

Looking at your decklist though, it seems that the Gliscor might be slowing it down a bit, if only because they don't have much synergy between them. Certainly add the night maintenances, and you might also consider Energy Retrievals and/or Energy Pickups. If you're looking to run Gliscor lv X, you might put it with Weezing techs to up the poison damage, rather than Metagross.
If you're not running the Metal Chain Beldum, you want to -- attaching a metal energy to Beldum allows you to search your deck for a Beldum and put it on your bench. Another thing he can do is put in some Amulet Coins to attach to Jirachi, which immediately gets you your One Desire, plus another random top deck next turn. Might want to add one Bebe's, some Quick Balls (they're actually pretty useful), and drop the Pokedex.

Good luck~ Hope you get it running more smoothly. :3

There is no realy synergy between Metagross and Gilsor, if you want to stick with a stage one I would swap Gilsor for Scizor.

Or instead If you are having problems with the retreat cost you could stick in a 2-1-2 Magnezone line

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back