Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Smile for the Cameraman FUND!!! MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BANGINBOX

Hello fellow Pokemon players….

I have been recently made aware that Mike Schell and family will not be at the Pokemon World Championship to document the weekend for us players. This was quite disturbing news to me. I really feel the need to do something about this to ensure that this tradition does not die.

As a player I really appreciated Mike and family for taking all the pictures they did at Worlds in 06’. Without his picture taking I would not have the fond memories of that event at my finger tips. Being able to access all of the pictures they post on the gym also allows me to put a face to some of the names that I would not normally be able to match. I spend quite a bit of time looking thru all of the pictures of major events, as they can paint a wonderful picture of how the tournament progressed. No phone call can quite compete with what he does for the community.

I have no direct connection to Mike or his family. I am simply showing my support for picture documentation for the Pokemon World Championships. Mike and his family have been supporting us as players for quite some time now. I believe its time we show Mike and his family the same support to keep this tradition going….

I will be setting up a “Smile for the Cameraman” fund to help the Schell family continue in our tradition of documenting our World Championship. Any and all donations will be directly applied to the costs associated with them ensuring that we receive colorful documentation of Pokemon Worlds 2008. I will be accepting donations via Check, Paypal, or money order. We have a very small goal of $1,000 USD. I will stop all donations on August 7th or after that goal has been met (Which ever comes first). I will post a daily running total for everyone to see and take pride in achieving it.

People I need you to understand that what they do will be with us FOREVER. These pictures will be something that you can show your kids (when you have them of course), grandkids, aunts, uncles and whomever else you care to share them with. It is THAT important…. Every little bit helps when it’s this small an amount to achieve. Let’s do this together and take some pride in supporting our game. Even if you do not plan on attending, you can still help the cause. They are for EVERYONE to enjoy.

So without further delay,
Donations can be made via paypal at [email protected]
Or by sending a Check or money order made out to
Jimmy Ballard
6810 W. Archer
Chicago, IL. 60638

Time is running out, do not delay, and feel free to contact me via PM if further info is needed.

Post your donations below so everyone can track our progress....

Collect a Card N Comics will be donating the first $50.00 to ensure we have the memories we deserve!!!

Jimmy

Last edited:
yeah, ill support it since it always great to have the Schell army photos cauz i dont have my cam and he always there for photos i can gather frrom the gallery...so a donation comin' your way from the DOWN UNDER =D

yeah, ill support it since it always great to have the Schell army photos cauz i dont have my cam and he always there for photos i can gather frrom the gallery...so a donation comin' your way from the DOWN UNDER =D

PLease reply with donation amounts so I can keep track....

thank you for your support Jason.

Jimmy

PLease reply with donation amounts so I can keep track....

thank you for your support Jason.

Jimmy

Just a suggestion, but maybe they could PM you or Email you the info, just to keep that kind of info from the public view?

You could tally it off the site, then update the current amount donated one the first post.

Again, just a suggestion.

Marco Escher (Italy)
50$ (32€) via PayPal

This year Team Italy will be bigger than ever, and I would LOVE to see my friends' faces in the image gallery while surfing on the gy!. Plus, taking photos is one of my hobbies at Pokémon tournaments (I have a flickr account just for them), and I understand the HUGE importance of these wonderful memories. I've always admired Mike Schell/Cameraman's work and I would like to ensure the tradition, as Jimmy said. I hope we will meet the goal!

Jimmy: Will the Schells go if the goal is met? I'd love to see Mike and Kathy at Worlds, so if you know they will go....i'll get you a donation.

Keith

Jimmy: Will the Schells go if the goal is met? I'd love to see Mike and Kathy at Worlds, so if you know they will go....i'll get you a donation.

Keith

Mike won't be able to, but Kathy will, along with some helpers.

I was as shocked as you were Jimmy. I understand the importance of pictures and memories too. This is a very worth cause.

I think I'll be able to send a minor contribution since I don't have much money, but pictures are great and should happen. Do you have to send the money by the 7th or does the money have to be there by the 7th (if you're sending cash)?

He organized and took pictures for the first event I won a trophy at. They make an amazing and noble contribution to the game, and I really hope I get to help them out as much as I've been helped.

I want to thank Jimmy for taking this on. Chris my oldest son and I will be in route driving to Seattle during WORLDS, he is entering his second year of College at Digipen in Redmond, WA. Alan will also start college this year, 2 years at a local Jr college.

My best advice to all, is start saving for your kids college early, I heard that for years and did not listen, I also thought I had a staff slot for as long as I wanted it as the photographer, but I get the impression that the Pokémon Lawyers were too concerned with a staff person taking photos of someone that may not have signed a release and that their media team could take the photos that they needed, and I'm sure they can, they are a very talented group, however, they are not going to share them with the community, and that is something they always let us do. One thing different from my Staff position from most others was that we brought about $15,000 dollars Worth of equipment as our tools.

We enjoyed taking the photos and the only reason we were opting out of Worlds this year was economic, to anyone that has a family that plays, a staff slot is great, its a lot of work for those that accept, but it really does help with the expense of traveling. With the cost of school this year, 2 trips to Seattle one to get Chris for the summer, move his stuff to storage, and a second to move him back, and into his apartment, and wanting to make sure he can fly home for Christmas, other than running MS events, we have not done any Pokémon traveling this season other than to the Houston Regional as staff, and with 2 families and a couple of players sharing a ride to the LA state where I played in my first premiere event.

Kathy, Alan, and Anna would love to be there to take photos that we have always tried to share with the Pokémon community, but we had looked at the costs and just could not do it.

I want to thank everyone that is donating and even those that can't but would like to for their efforts. Hopefully we can get photos for this years World Championship, Last year, for several weeks after WORLDS, we were getting 4-5000 hits a day, and downloads of 50,000 photos a day for the week after Worlds at mspokemon.com so I know people enjoy them, and we enjoy sharing them. Our goal has always been to capture the memories of the real game, we never liked to stage our photos.

Thank you,
Mike Schell

It's completely understandable MIke, kids grow up and first things first, so thats great and I wish your kids the best, I am sure they will do well! I hope to take as many pictures as I plan to attend in my first Worlds event ever! I am very excited to go and although I don't have such an amazing type of equipment that you do, I'm sure that I will capture some great pictures that will hold great stories. I hope to see you and your family in events to come. Take care and wish us all well!

CMT

With 'Pop's answer and Mike Schell's response, I will match Jimmy's initial offering and pledge $50 also. Jimmy, I have Paypal and can send asap once the amount is reached or close enough to the goal.

Thx for this great idea Jimmy. It would be great to see Kathy, Alan and Anna in FL for Worlds, taking the photos we all LOVE!

Keith

Am I the only one who isn't entirely happy with getting photographed without my explicit permission, and having those photos put online? Especially considering that the pictures of little kids are being taken?

I'm sure most people enjoy it, but I don't really like the fact that a person can photograph you and put the pictures online without asking you, especially considering that this isn't out in the public, where it'd be acceptable but still rather rude.

No offense to the Schells, but just a thought.

They don't even know your name and personal information and is it so bad that little children somewhere have a picture of themselves online?

As for past WORLDS, everyone playing has given permission, note the releases that Pokemon has you or your parent sign, I've not seen this years form, but in all years past, it has been there but yes, all anyone ever has to do is make the request, and yes, we will gladly remove them.

I love this idea, and will make the contribution...but a question...

Will PUI give the Schells access to the play area and finals area for the pictures, or will they be not allowed?

I would love to hear a PUI answer to this.

The Schells are some of my closest friends in this community, and I really look foward to seeing a part of the clan at Worlds.

Vince

I love this idea, and will make the contribution...but a question...

Will PUI give the Schells access to the play area and finals area for the pictures, or will they be not allowed?

I would love to hear a PUI answer to this.

The Schells are some of my closest friends in this community, and I really look foward to seeing a part of the clan at Worlds.

Vince

I dont know why they wouldnt be allowed to at least have a volunteer color shirt on? Just my thoughts.

Keith

Cathy and I will also match Jimmy's $50 we realize how important the pictures are for the community and look forward to seeing them every year.

BLiZz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back