Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

So, I've come to the conclusion that Rescue Energy doesn't work in Gyarados

Lancun

It's occured to me that I often have competition as to whether I want to Warp Energy my Gyarados out for Seeker or if I want to attach the Rescue Energy and ATTEMPT to sacrifice (it could be worked around with Flash Bite, Toxic Fang, or some other attack effect. For this reason, I've concluded that Seeker was the better tool that Gyarados got out of Triumphant, not Rescue Energy.

The reasons, I think, are pretty clear. Gyarados will ALWAYS make tremendous use of Seeker, so you're already devoting the space for 3-4 of it anyway. Like I said before, it can't really be worked around like Rescue Energy can, and if you tech Mesprit like I do, dropping it after they scoop up their Uxie/SP/whatever they decide to bring back up can prolong any attempt to take advantage of Seeker. Rescue only has the POSSIBILITY of successfully bringing Gyarados back, and if you're running that in conjunction with Warp Energy, it really tends to hold less priority anyway.

On top of all of this is the most obvious disadvantage: you're handing your opponent a prize, which is even worse if it has an Expert Belt on it. That said, I'm taking all of my Rescue Energies out of Gyarados, and I invite any of you to do the same. It really functions better with suicide Pokemon like SPs and SF Gengar.

I actually find your logic quite sound. It's also nice to use Warp instead of Rescue when you're worried about Machamp Prime's Crash Punch, which can mess up that matchup pretty bad. And you also only need a couple of slots for the Warp, since you re-use it once you Seeker anyway.

Thanks for the protip bro.

Please, everyone take your Rescue Energies out of Gyarados. LuxChomp is a terrible deck that can't OHKO Gyarados and will barely see any play during CC's.

Please, everyone take your Rescue Energies out of Gyarados. LuxChomp is a terrible deck that can't OHKO Gyarados and will barely see any play during CC's.

It can't OHKO it without Lucario GL, and I happen to run my own Luxray to Bright Look that threat up and OHKO with Gyarados. Gyarados was a decent contender across the board last format (and that was without Rescue Energy), and that included SPs. And even if it does happen, there's no better way to bring back Gyarados than instead using Seeker to bring Combee back to your hand. Can't be Sprayed, can't be Time Crystal'd, can't be stopped. On the other hand, SP is capable of playing across Rescue Energy all day long anyway.

What happened during last format is totally irrelevant to this discussion. Bright Look can be Power Sprayed and Lucario GL can be recovered. Combee doesn't work as well as Rescue Energy because its re-use requires your supporter for the turn or a lucky coin flip. An energy attachment in Gyarados doesn't matter cause it attacks for free. If they have to use Crobat G to knock out Gyarados, then Rescue Energy has already done its job. By leaving it with 10-20 HP left, it gives you the opportunity to pick it up with SSU and heal it, wasting their attack. My point is, I run 3 recovery options (Rescue Energy, Combee, and Pokemon Rescue) to handle any eventuality. Completely getting rid of Rescue Energy is not a viable argument based on the very few decks that might use status conditions to KO Gyarados.

Instead of comparing warp and rescue energy, I think that both energy works well in sync with each other. When you run both energies and attach a rescue energy to ur g-dos, your opponent will be faced with a dilemma, do they ohko it and allow it back to your hand, or do they risk leaving it to the next turn, where you can warp it back and seeker to heal? Both of which are unfavourable options for them.

True, rescue energy can be worked around, but it isnt as easy as you make it sound, especially since there are very few status decks around. Warp energy too has its shortcomings, as evilhamster pointed out, warp energy is useless when your opponent ohko's ur g-dos. I think that a g-dos deck shld run 3-4 seekers, 2 warp energy and 3 rescue, or something along those lines.

What?

If this is a troll. congratulations, you've got me.

You mean to say that you've tested extensively against all of the tier one decks manned by decent players and have found that Rescue Energy isn't worth the slots in Gyarados? I really don't see where this logic is heading. In my opinion, Rescue Energy is much more of a staple in Gyarados than Seeker (although Seeker is very good).

Can you give us some examples of situations in-game against good decks where issues have come up?

You need Rescue Enery to beat Luxchomp. Relying on your Luxray GL Lv X to KO their Lucario GL isn't a great idea when they can either Dragon Rush the basic or have a turn to prepare and grab a Spray with Cyrus. Rescue Energy + Pokemon Rescues give you more recovery cards to draw into, get around trainer lock and allow you to run less Gyarados as well.

Seeker is a CHOICE card imo... some people really hate the way it plays and are sticking to just SSU, which I don't think is a bad play. Rescue is so much better. If an SP deck REALLY is going to hold off the one hit KO so they can Flash Bite to avoid Rescue, they;ve already lost.

Toxic Fang? Really? It can be worked around with SMALL damage that costs your opponent games if they try to avoid it.

I actually like the combination of all three in gdos. And I have been testing against good players and decks. The combination can be pretty deadly when you have gdos, with belt, rescue energy, then you play a warp then seeker. You save the knock out and you force them to play around it or try to take it out in one blow. Wash, rinse, and repeat. But any good player will most likely try to control you and play around your gdos(Considering SP and other decks that can snipe). IMO, if you do knock out those 3 gdos, you should win.

I think seeker, rescue energy, pokemon rescue, and combee should all be played. If you dont run rescue energy and you are playing trainer lock, eliminating your pokemon rescue, and they knock out your gyarados unexpectedly in one shot then what are you gonna do to get that gyarados back? You can't seeker it out of the discard pile.

Rescue Energy is a staple in Gyarados. Yes, there will be annoyances, but that doesn't justify NOT using it. Hell, trainer lock is gaining popularity pretty rapidly. Does that mean that all trainers cards shouldn't be used? No way. Trainers are equally as valuable. SP decks and Gyarados (just to name a couple) can't work at the level that they do without them.

Warp Energy, Seeker, and Rescue Energy are all very, VERY, viable options/staples for Gyarados. No contest there.

You need Rescue Enery to beat Luxchomp.

This sums it up exactly. Rescue energy also helps you from getting Magikarp and Gyarados sent to the lost zone with Cursegar to LostGar combo. Its great against trainer lock too seeing as you dont have to play LOL combee to combat deafen KO's or Vileplume.

Man I'm glad i read this thread, forgot how good Rescue energy is. I only play 3 Warp + 2 Rescue but I think I might change the ratio around, or even play 4 rescue and singificantly drop my pokemon rescue count, which actually ends up being discard foster early game and is seemingly much less useful with Rescue Energy and Seeker around preventing Gyara from going to the discard :water:

I think you are a troll.

Why even bother posting an opinion in PokeGym if one gets responses like this?

I stated my reasoning of why I prefer Seeker-Warp over Rescue. I may have not matched up and practiced quite as much as everyone else seems to have judging from how positive they are that it helps But to take an opinion that I have arrived at and just toss it out the window, real professional.

Whatever.

Run both, because both are good and do their jobs. Its just that simple, and both are effective against just about every deck you will play against.

Back