Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

So.. uh... where do I begin? (A player trying to get back into the game)

Raderick

(Excuse me if this forum isn't exactly the best place to post this. Otherwise, mods, feel free to move it elsewhere)

Hello all!

I am currently interested in getting back into the Pokemon TCG. I played mostly during the WotC days and played almost every tournament in San Diego that I possibly could. Now fast forward seven years, I find one of my old rain dance decks, and interest peaked up once again. I did some looking around, and I realized that not only has Nintendo took over production of the English cards over WotC, but they now release 4 sets a year. I realize that they released almost twenty sets, which almost blew my head off. How am I going to get back into the game with all of these sets? How am I going to know what is good for a deck, and what is good for tournament play? :ahhh:.

And so I opened the wallet. I think I broke it, but I probably spent around the high 3-figures on just booster boxes and other players' collection off eBay. With that said, I just have a few questions. I think this is a nice community of players, so I hope you don't bite too hard! :redface:

What's a great way to build a new deck? I realize that the Modified format is what Nintendo and most players use, which is fine. Is there a collection of decks somewhere on the internet that lists a typical Modified deck? What is the creativity level on decks nowadays?

Thank you all, and I await your replies!

The Archetypes sub-forum(in the deck help forum) is a great place to start for common yet high quality decks.

Also, check the front page content. It lists other great deck articles that don't reside in the Archetypes forum.

The Creativity level is very high. See BANGINBOX's Destiny list.(very creative, made by one of the top notch players in the game. T2 in WORLDS last year) Even normal decks are creative, with the addition of "techs" that improve specific matchups vs. other decks.

I recommend you head to a D/P Prerelease. There, you can get new cards as well as learn the newest rules and some current ones if you're not up-to-date. Prereleases also provide a chance to compete against other people and get some more practical experience.

Back