Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

So you find an abandoned DS case lying around...

Marril

What do you do?

Specifically, in this case it was a DS Lite lying in the middle of the road with nine games in the case. It had gotten clipped (not fully run over) by a car, though, so the DS Lite itself and most of the games (including Pokémon Pearl) were ruined. Some, including Pokémon Diamond, still work. Still, it's easily over $600 at a rough appraisal, just lying in the middle of the road getting hit by cars... is there anything ethical to do other than take it, instead of just letting what little was left working get ruined? My gut feeling says no.

If this goes better in the RTC or something, mods are free to move it. It's more a subject of "do you take what doesn't belong to you rather than leave it lying around neglected?", but it directly concerns some electronic games, so I had to guess where to put it.

of course you get it out of the road; the real question is what one does with it afterwards, right?

is there any kind of ID in/on it? or was the street in front of something like a school, where there would be a lost and found one could turn it in to?

alternatively, one could run a 'found' classified ad (which are usually free to run) in the local paper. or turn it in to the local police, where usually unclaimed articles after X amount of time go to the finder...

ymmv.

'mom

Last edited:
^Agreed
Its best to try to find the original owner of the DS, but that isnt always possible
Do as Pokemom suggested, and if no one claims it, then its yours

Don't simply ignore everyone and keep it. That would be even worse than using ARs, using Pokemon that aren't even yours and you don't deserve. :thumb:

It could become a hazard in the road (though, very unlikely), so I would try to get it out of the road. I would then leave it at the nearest store/police station to see if anybody claims it.

is there any kind of ID in/on it? or was the street in front of something like a school, where there would be a lost and found one could turn it in to?

It was lying in the middle of the highway, as if someone threw it out the window (the only logical explanation I can think of is that it fell out of someone's bag as they were crossing the street). The kid's first name on a few of his game saves. The DS itself has nothing I can find written on it, and the system being destroyed makes it impossible to check his data.

Nothing better to do than to see if the kid/his mom read found ads or not, I suppose. If I don't get any calls/emails/whatever, though... eh, then I have some free games, including a readily-mineable source of legendaries and rare TMs.

EDIT: And since it apparently wasn't clear enough, the first sentence is "what do you do?" As in, what would posters here do. I knew what I was going to do before I posted this (i.e. what I mentioned in the above paragraph).

I give It to the kid who is running around and yelling his heart out "WHO STOLE MY BROTHER'S DS CASE!!!!"

Re: OP.
First, cast Detect Magic. If you find nothing, send in your Rogue, to do a Search check. If they find any traps, go for a Disable Device. If all seems fine, try to add it to your phat loot.

Wait, that's D&D.

Has the DS Lite been registered with Nintendo (unlikely)? That could aid in its return.

Also, good job on removing it from the road. I doubt they were going to go back for it, though it is possible, and having someone actively trying to return it is useful. Post papers in the area with a "Found" statement and contact info?

Last edited:
I believe that Marril stated that the DS itself was destroyed, along with half of the games in the case. I'd probably go local police and/or found posters around the area where it was found. Make sure to keep certain information about the game private, such as the Trainer's name or other such information that only the person playing the game would know.

I think that where I live, by law if you find something of value (this obviously doesn't pertain to the twenty I might found in the street the other day, that'd be silly) you have to try to find the owner of the item (actively try), and then if no one claims it in two weeks you get to keep it. So, I would have to do that, then that baby is mine!

^ and ^^ obviously don't have any moral values. Imagine a kid walking up to you and saying, "I'm ______, and I was told that you found my games," and you replied, "I sold them on eBay for $$$." What reputation would that get you?

^ and ^^ obviously don't have any moral values. Imagine a kid walking up to you and saying, "I'm ______, and I was told that you found my games," and you replied, "I sold them on eBay for $$$." What reputation would that get you?

Please do not turn this into a arguement and keep it on topic. Obviously you have no idea how big The city were Marill lives is....:biggrin: HUUUUGE!!!

Personally I think if you maybe put up some flyers around where you found it and ask them to phone you and give description of what was found plus what games were there and what name was on the games? Once you have made a effort to find the owner I would say if no one replies it is yours. I know from experience what it is like to lose a DS lite as my son Brandon lost , or it was stolen , his white DS lite in a silver case with like 12 + gamesand it was never returned and I was kinda choked as it cost alot to replace the system and a few games as he is young and it happens but if someone was to return it I would gladly give a reward!:smile: I am sure whatever you do is your choice.:wink:

mike

I'd sell it on Ebay.

I'm actually told that the screens could fetch some money, being apparently the most expensive part of the system (and still intact), despite that the DS' circuit board is broken.

While I'm certainly not selling anything right off the bat, it's something I should probably think about down the road—no pun intended, considering where I found the DS.

OK its in the road and its has been clipped and ruined the DS (BTW if you dont want the broken ds can I have it?) and no one claims it and there is no one around looking for it then ya pick it up!

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

I'm actually told that the screens could fetch some money, being apparently the most expensive part of the system (and still intact), despite that the DS' circuit board is broken.

While I'm certainly not selling anything right off the bat, it's something I should probably think about down the road—no pun intended, considering where I found the DS.

Well I got a Broken DS Lite too and I learned that even if the screen does not look broken does not mean it isn't....
I am making stuff out of the old broken parts...

Last edited:

ugh, what did i say!

1.do you know the chances of that actually happening??
2.how do we know it was even HIS DS.
3. I would not say that to the kid, and if i did i could care less.
Now quiet.

Back