Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

SoCal Regionals Tournament Report: Bullseye

Flare Starfire

Hey all.

Just got home and decided to post this now to get it off my mind. Very very depressing, but anyhow, I wanted to post my list because it did exceedingly well.

Bullseye (Blz-ai)

4 Torchic
2 Combusken
3 Blaziken (Firestarter)
2 Blaziken EX
4 Dunsparce
2 Slugma
2 Magcargo
2 Pikachu
2 Raichu EX (Rai-Shield)

1 Strength Charm
1 Warp Point
1 Crystal Shard
1 ATM Rock
3 Stevens Advice
3 Celios Network
4 TV Reporter
2 Rare Candy
2 Battle Frontier
2 Rockets Admin

10 Fire
5 Lightning
2 Boost

And now, the Round reports:

Round 1: Spinning Tail Dark TTar
I started with a Slugma. Bad news already. He mulliganed and I drew a Magcargo from it. Had to rare candy to cargo first turn with it still active to get basics out. Very tough game over all, unexpected to say the least. Used Electrode Bomb (The latest craze, it would seem) to pull Darks back out onto Ttar. Final Prize count 1-2, I benched him at the last moment.

1-0

Round 2: Gyarados
I started with a Dunsparce. Huzzah! Raichu EX was just too much for the gyarados. I did 30 to each one and then used ATM rock to wipe them all out. He never really got built up, I was out in front. He eventually scooped when I was going to bench him. He wanted to go eat lunch. Final Prize count 2-6.

2-0

Round 3: Monarchy
This was not much of a round. He got stuck with all evolutions and no basics, and a Make a Wish jirachi as his only basic with nothing to evolve. He went first and 4 turns later I had a Blaziken EX up and he still had no basics. Cheese bench game. Final Prize Count: 5-6, Bench.

3-0

Round 4: Ludicargo
Now this was the game I was waiting for. It was well played on both sides, but I was careful about watching for the scramble. I messed up once and lost a Raichu to a scrambled marowak, but I pulled it out in the end. The game went to time, but I had it under control. Final Prize Count 1-3, Judge Win.

4-0

Round 5: Zaptrode
I swear, I built this deck to counter zaptrode. And it works fine. That is, when Raichu EX actually comes out of the deck. I started with a Pikachu active -and- a lightning energy and then Rai just didn't show up for 5 turns. My quick start flopped, and I couldn't do anything. I gave up 4 prizes just trying to get things running. Terrible, terrible game. A sign of things to come. I officially hate this deck as much as Team LA's Shedinja list because its been cookie cuttered to oblivion. Final Prize count 2-0.

4-1

Round 6: Zaptrode (again...)
Its deja vu! I started with Lone Torchic Syndrome -_- He started with the usual. Had to play the stall game again, only this time Rai actually decided to show up and fight. Extra Energy Bomb wasn't quite enough and with 10 HP left, Rai KOs a Rayquaza EX for my last 2 prizes. It was very very close.
Final Prize Count 0-1

5-1

Round 7: Salamance EX
Well, we both knew we were going to top cut so it was a rather fun and relaxing game. I stopped running Sally because I couldn't get the list to work under the new BF conditions. Standard Dunsparce start. I play my first BF and he mentions that he doesn't play any counter gyms. o.o;;.... With powers locked out, set up was easy and the game was for fun anyways. *shrugs*

Final Prize Count- 0-4

6-1

Final Standing in Swiss: 2nd Place

My best performance ever, as far as swiss goes. I was really happy with the deck, and I found out I had to play the Zaptrode from Round 6 again for T16.

T16:

Game 1: Things started to fall apart. The game went down to the last turn just like last time, but he had enough energy in play to use Electrode for one massive attack. I figured no problem, I'll pick up the next 2 games.

Game 2: Started with a dunsparce. And an energy. Good, until 6 turns later I have 3 energy total. And 2 boosts in hand. My setup was going nowhere. He was able to use a Manectric EX manually, twice, to KO both Slugma and my Magcargo. It was that lame. I was using draw power every turn and only getting more draw power. I end up trying to lock him out with one prize left for him, still having only 2 prizes taken from his first electrode bomb, and he gets Wallies and Dual Ball. =\ So he Energy Bombs -again- and Manectric takes out a dunsparce for the win. Total absolute junk.

9-16 Don't get anything. Very sucky after having such a good day. But luck always evens out on you. The deck was very flexible and fluid, and I'm going to stick with it. Give it a try and see how it does for you!

Props:
To Weilemom. We'll miss you!
To Raichu EX for a wonderful deck idea
To TRUK for having a Raichu EX to lend me if mine hadn't arrived friday morning
To my best personal swiss record in a major tournament.

Slops:
To Zaptrode. Give me a break already!
To Wallies and Manectric EX in a Zaptrode deck. Just one word: Huh?
To no prizes for 9-16. I was a bit suprised. ><
To not having a ride to NorCal so I can redeem myself.
To lower than usual attendance. Where was everyone?
To my unbelievable bad luck always waiting till the Elim rounds to show up! XD

See above. I got knocked out T16, and had a long drive home. Attendence was weak though. Official numbers will probably be up soon.

camp pendleton unofficial numbers...

here is an approximate attendance i am sure the official numbers will be up soon but to give you an idea:
(seemed low to us as well)

10-= 20 something i believe
11-14 = 31
15+ = 71

Flare StarFire: A message from Ryah (your opponent in Round 4) : CONGRATS for making Top 16!!! Good luck with the deck and hope to see you again at Worlds....Great Match!

The only times it ever beats me is when it gets an awfully lucky hand and I sit there with a weak hand or topdeck extremely poorly. Most good decks should beat it senseless to the point I would never consider the deck.

Its all geared to overwhelm quickly...if you know where it breaks it falls apart easily. Makes losing to it that much more shameful, if you ask me. Seems so simple but when your deck just won't cooperate....ugh.

Yeah, but other decks are easier to win with when playing vs an opponent who can't get set up, and aren't as fragile. One decent TD and your opponent finds themselves with 2+ free prizes and only needing to KO one Pokemon, esp when one of the main attackers used vs you is basically OHKOed by Shard. I'd take that over playing vs Ludicargo any day.

As long as you can get one early KO the deck can only energy bomb once. You're in control from there. I think Zaptrode players just rely on getting lucky most of the time, so there isn't much to be done about it. I would agree that in a normal game, playing against ludicargo is definatly much harder than playing against Zaptrode. Had one great match against it during the tournament.

I had a great game against a ludicargo deck, but the two games i lost to Zappy were "super scoop up, HEADS!! i WIN!!!" it stunk.

Sucks more that they're all so alike. Its like if you don't know what you want to play, you end up playing zaptrode so you don't have to think too much. One game I had against Zaptrode the player was busy scouting the other games around him rather than paying attention to his own game. Real smooth operator, that one.

First off, GJ Mike, sucks you got screwed over like nearly every other PRO this weekend at Regionals around the country. Secondly, Fulop you should know better, this is socal, zapdos is just so LUCKBAGISH, its DISGUSTING, i made a FIVE PRIZE comeback vs one in swiss and forced a sudden death that lasted forever with me finally winning. Seems to be the ultimate 45 minute matchplay deck too.

This tends to be because its played in veritable swarms out here. Quite a few of them are bound to make their way into TOP 16 by sheer force of numbers. Beyond that, its still the skill of the player behind the deck. But a deck like that only needs rudimentary skills to evolve something and wait to trigger the Electrode. =d

Heh...reading up on the time problems at Socal, having two zapdos decks make finals makes a bit more sense. Even if it is pretty junky. x(

Back