Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

SP Vs. Machamp - The Best Option?

pokemandan

Hey,

I've been playing SP and am having a ridiculous trouble with Machamp. I run Drifblim UD as a tech against it, but it really isn't enough..

I would just accept the auto loss but it's becoming a tech in a lot of lists and becoming more popular in general.

What's the best way to take it on?

Thanks

Dan :thumb:

Im assuming your using psychic energy, and its only like 5 spots. I know its really tight, but its worth it. SKuntank helps against gengar too.

skuntank/toxicroak G PL/Uxie X/Drifblim UD/Lucario GL are the common ones. I tried a 2-2 Honchkrow SV since he is resistant and can 1 shot a Machamp. It did me well. Toxicroak G isnt affected by Take Out at all. No damage or auto knock out

You want a good tech that's good against not only Machamp but almost all other matchups as well?

High Call Energy and Power Spray count. Run 4 of each. Machamp's really really need that early Uxie drop to draw in their resources T1-T2 (and to a significantly lesser extent, Unown R, but good machamp players will try to bait your spray by trying to use Retire first). An early game power spray can give you the crucial turns you need to set-up your counters, dragon rush any machops or machoke's that hit the field (that new 90hp machoke is super annoying cause of the +10 hp, lol). The best part about this strategy is that it'll help virtually every other matchup too. You gotta run the two together though, or else it'll be hard for you to get out 3 SP's early game (Like T1, especially if you're the one who ends up going first)

Adding stuff like Driflblim, Lucario, and Uxie lv X (which is a must have anyway in SP) will help bring the matchup down from 80-20 to 60-30, 65-35. However, at the end of the day you're just gonna have to accept that SP wont have universally good matchups all across the board. Especially since Unown G got rotated out, an early Take Out probably means game for you, and there's only so much you can do against it.

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

What do you think of Mismagius PL? Thinking about its Upper Hand attack to make Take Out useless, or Hurricane Punch

I like the idea of Honchkrow SV, I've tried running it before but not as a Machamp counter.

Dude all you need is shuppet/banette and lucario gl. That should be enough for you to swing the game back in your favor. Also shuppet and a belt works too if you cant get banette going.
Oh and what xcfrisco said.

xcfrisco covered a lot of good points. Spraying them early in the game can really cripple their setup.

Also, I would think about using Blaziken FB Lv. X or Garchomp C Lv. X to take out a Machoke- it's easier to sacrifice a Blaziken FB Lv. X to take down a Machoke, and then deal with the attacking Machamp with something like Uxie Lv. X rather than to take out the first Machamp with Uxie Lv. X and still having to deal with a second.

Accept the autoloss, stop sacrificing consistency.

This mantra was taught to me by one of the better players in the game... If you can't beat Machamp with a list you're comfortable with, don't add in a bunch of garbage to try and win. Drifblim is a better answer to Mewtwo Lv.X, and since it beats up on the two best SP counters in the game, it's not a bad play in LuxChomp.

However, if winning the Machamp matchup is going to hurt your chances against other decks, don't try to. Accept the loss. I know from experience that regardless of what you tech in, the Machamp matchup is very, very difficult for SPs to win. Your best bet is to simply try and take prizes early while stalling their setup. This can net you perhaps one in four games against Champ.

Any extensive measures to beat one deck is overkill.

Back