Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Speedgar smiles upon Sunnyvale ( Speedgar Player Report)

The_Joker

Wake up around 4:30 get ready in my outfit and head out the door to my teams house. We eat and set forth to the Norcal Regionals.

We arrive and we are pumped, we make a pact to make top cut and beyond. Takes forever for the games to begin, so I revised my deck with a Amphy tech and decided it would benefit.

Games begin:

1st Round
Obama/Dusknior

I nearly died when I saw what his motive of his deck was, I thought I was going to get a round 1 loss. I start with basic start for Speedgar. I figure out later his starting hand was terrible and he was just not drawing right. I ended the match on T6. Felt bad cause I knew he had the upper hand if he drew into the cards. Very cool player none the less, wanted to see this deck go far and I didn't want to let fans of the deck down. (Forgot your user name here but shout it out!)

1-0

2nd Round
Toolbox(Honchcrow/Weavile main with Dialga )

This was a pretty exciting match up he kept swarming me with Honch and layed out Glactics HQ which was pretty crucial to some of my up coming Gengar and Crobat Drop. Finally drew into Broken Time space and layed it out and started super scooping my bench and poketurning bats. Fliped heads on all fainting spells (He was ******). Stopped him at 3 prize cards. Fun match not very much of a fun player.

2-0

3rd Round
PAMU

FAVORITE MATCH OF THE DAY. I knew that the odds were against him but still this kid played the deck like a champ. I start with a mulligan (GG on my part), then I got my basic Speedgar start. I went first stoping his trainers (Very bad from Amu since they run a mountain full of them) on his turn he dropped all the pixies and set up turn 3. To make this short he made me struggle with Azelf X guarded by unown G and Uxie x with unown G I could only target his mespirits :'(. Luckily for me I got heads on all Supreme Blast donkage which took me the lead and just kept targeting the open pokepowers with Crobat and Shadowroom. Very good game he had about 3 prizes left.

3-0

4th Round

Machamp

The lulziest game I played that day. I had the master start with 1 Gastly,1 energy, poketurn, crobat, rare candy, luxury ball, Roseanne's Reseach. His start was a baltoy. He goes first and does Physcic balance to draw one. My turn begins I luxury ball, rare candy into Gengar, attach drop crobat then use poke turn drop again Shadow Room Knock out and game. After the clean up he dropped his hand and showed me he needed 1 more turn to make the biggest comeback. Speedgar is faster :D GG. Very nice player.

4-0

5th Round
Riachu/Electrivire
(See fourth round) Same set up and same start for the player. Lucky me. Nice player at least.

5-0

6th Round

Giratina/ Leafeon

Don't underestimate this deck, the set up is pro and the match up against gengar is 80-20. He mulligans 3 times (3 draws didn't get me anything good.) he draws again and pretty much tells me he has the set up. We play. Rolls heads on every Level Max get Giratina set up on turn 4 and spreads me like butter. Didn't know how to play against this guy or the deck he took 3 prizes a turn. At least I took down out Leafeon X with me!

5-1
(Top cut is guaranteed)

So at this point out of the 5 people I went with that were in my division 3 of us made it to top cut. We were pretty surprised. and we swore to make it to at least Top 8. This is where Speedgars Cinderella story is crushed into little pieces.

Top cut 16

1st Round

Gengar/Dusknoir

I had him. No doubt I had him. He ran no unown G (I did) his set up took longer then mine. We start, I make a massive error and shuffle Uxie into my deck when your supposed to just put him at the bottom (That's what I get for playing him for the first time in my decks) He gets a prize ahead. He couldn't get his set up even with the lead. I attached unown G to both Gengar and Claydol. He couldn't recover even though he took 5 minute turns like a scrub. Creamed him none the less. 2nd match starts, I feel pretty positive I have him. Look at my hand to see the unown G start with no draw support. Gets me 2nd match. 3rd match starts, crappy start yet again and gets the same turn T2 Gengar as he did second round.

Lost to a 4-2 rating luck sack n00b. Scooped and left, angry of course.

5-2 end rating.

It was fun to be there until that end, got to see the Tran man and many other cool players. At least our friend got 3rd in Seniors and got a box and a sweet trophy. After that we departed and left for home.

Now for my review of Speedgars preformance...
My Decklist:
Pokémon
2 Baltoy GE
2 Claydol GE

2 Crobat G

4 Gastly SF
3 Haunter SF
4 Gengar SF

2 Unown G
1 Uxie LA
1 Mespirit
1-0-1 Amphoros

Trainers / Supporters / Stadiums
4 Rare Candy
4 Looker’s Investigation
3 Super Scoop Up
4 Bebe’s Search
4 Roseanne’s Research
3 Team Galactic’s Invention G-105 Poké-Turn
2 Broken Time Space
2 Warp Point
2 Night Maintenance
1 Luxury Ball

Energy
8 Psychic Energy

Original Idea of Speedgar(http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=96122)

All around it was my favorite deck list of all time, not because of how far it got me but how smooth and how quick it is and the lock down on it is godly. I shouldn't of teched amphy in it though, didn't even use it the whole time. I would go with another Mespirit and another Poketurn for a really good deck list. Seriously if you had doubts about this deck, clear them now. This deck is so surprising that you will want to keep playing it over and over.

SPEEDGAR FTW.

Hooray. Couldn't go to Regionals this time, so I'm glad you got a good stab in for me.

Hooray. Couldn't go to Regionals this time, so I'm glad you got a good stab in for me.

Yeah when I went to cities I had the idea of Corbat and Gengar/Gliscor. Found out Gliscor slowed it down. Then I saw your article and gave it a whack. Seriously the idea rocked just a few kinks and man it is a lock down frenzy t1 and t2.

Yeah when I went to cities I had the idea of Corbat and Gengar/Gliscor. Found out Gliscor slowed it down. Then I saw your article and gave it a whack. Seriously the idea rocked just a few kinks and man it is a lock down frenzy t1 and t2.

I enjoyed your modifications. I had exams, so I couldn't go to regionals. Surprised there was a Duskgar there, though.

Finally someone else runs 3 of the stage 1 lines with dialga lock. It seems like everybody gets their worst start in top 16 or 8.

I was your first round challenge! With the slow DuskSnow deck lol. glad to hear speedgar made it to 16s. kinda inspired me to give speedgar another chance. thanks for the match again! what CA city are you from btw?

I was your first round challenge! With the slow DuskSnow deck lol. glad to hear speedgar made it to 16s. kinda inspired me to give speedgar another chance. thanks for the match again! what CA city are you from btw?

Ah there you are! Yeah no problem! I actually live in the Sacramento area (Rocklin/Roseville)

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

I enjoyed your modifications. I had exams, so I couldn't go to regionals. Surprised there was a Duskgar there, though.

That deck is a joke compared to this one. I was his only threat. I heard he placed 2nd... not to be cocky but i am pretty sure it would of been me up there. Oh well...luck of the draw you know : /

Last edited:
That deck is a joke compared to this one. I was his only threat. I heard he placed 2nd... not to be cocky but i am pretty sure it would of been me up there. Oh well...luck of the draw you know : /

Reading your report, I guess two bad starts would be a huge hit.

The guy you played in top 16 was NOT a scrub or a noob. Obviously, he proved this by placing 2nd. You shouldn't be so disrespectful to other players, especially ones who have great sportsmanship.

The guy you played in top 16 was NOT a scrub or a noob. Obviously, he proved this by placing 2nd. You shouldn't be so disrespectful to other players, especially ones who have great sportsmanship.

I have great sportsmanship, not when I get cheated out by a jankey deck with staller playing it. 3 other people called him on it and seriously no penalties were had, the guy even had the balls to ask for extra time WHICH they gave him on my match. The kids deck didn't deserve to be in top cut nor the player. All luck.

Lost to a 4-2 rating luck sack n00b. Scooped and left, angry of course.

The kids deck didn't deserve to be in top cut nor the player.

Hi, that's me. I was definitely not stalling, and our game didn't even come close to time so that's not why you lost. The prize penalty didn't matter either, because you won that game. I didn't even get a super start in the two games I won, you just got a bad draw. And I did place second, so I don't appreciate you talking bad about me or my deck. I'm sorry you took the loss so hard, but hey, it's just a game. No hard feelings. :)

Last edited:
Second place? Wow, i gotta say i didn't expect that. After our third round overtime finish against my Kingras and my little binding Amphy, I didn't see you until we got to T16. At least i can say i was able to get one over on the runner-up in my first tournament. But then again, Amphy was only in there to stop gengars, dusknoirs, claydols to kill the bench and any other powers (sorry to the guy using the horrible "Kyroge/Delcatty/Blastiose deck" that was taken card by card from the internet with no thought of creativity). But back to the main thread, you, Matt, Jesse and myself are going to sweep next time. And we're not going to let that Chin twins in the seniors division cheat out more wins.

Last edited:
Good job dude. That "luck sack noob" ended up making top 2 by cheating his way through tommy (giratina guy u played). The judges weren't even paying attention to the game and sided with him. When i heard that u lost i was in shock. See you at the grinder eh?

Good job dude. That "luck sack noob" ended up making top 2 by cheating his way through tommy (giratina guy u played). The judges weren't even paying attention to the game and sided with him. When i heard that u lost i was in shock. See you at the grinder eh?

I heard...and it is absurd. I was completely baffled that he got past Tommy..I was expecting a total wreckage on his part. Yeah see you at grinderz lolz.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Second place? Wow, i gotta say i didn't expect that. After our third round overtime finish against my Kingras and my little binding Amphy, I didn't see you until we got to T16. At least i can say i was able to get one over on the runner-up in my first tournament. But then again, Amphy was only in there to stop gengars, dusknoirs, claydols to kill the bench and any other powers (sorry to the guy using the horrible "Kyroge/Delcatty/Blastiose deck" that was taken card by card from the internet with no thought of creativity). But back to the main thread, you, Matt, Jesse and myself are going to sweep next time. And we're not going to let that Chin twins in the seniors division cheat out more wins.

That amphy tech was boss JJ. Good thinking on your part. Oh btw Kingdra is getting a new buddy in then next set, CAN YOU SAY FLOATZEL/KINGDRA?

Last edited:
Hey, this is the guy that played PAMU and faced you in the 3rd round. Glad our game was your favorite :). I hope we get a chance to play again, possibly at the grinder? Anyways, grats on the T16

Back