Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

State Championships Leeds 2010 Report

As soon I get out of the car, my pokewalker falls out of my pocket and rolls down the hill. Not a great start. Anyway, ten minutes later I say hi to Jaedon, stand around for ages, and then the tournament finally begins. Of course, I get placed against the best player at my league. I hate my Luck. I'm playing a Torterra Deck, and hoping that everyone will be playing Water to counter the Fire running around (Thank god for Regis_Neo's Torterra), but can't be sure how well I'll do.

Round 1 vs. Joe with BeeBelt

Aaaargh... He starts off with a spiritomb and slows my evolution and searching to a trickle while he sets up 2 RR Beedrills on the Bench, and Darkness Graces. He take prize after prize with 140 damage after 140 damage with Belted Beedrill GE, but eventually, I tank a Torterra Platinum with Sceptile and 4 :grass: energies and knock out a BeltDrill with Green Blast. But he kills Torterra with Luxray GL and I scoop, as I rarely tank 2 Torterras a game.

Game 2 Same thing. He attacks more with Lux this game, and I know I won't win, but he flash impacts a Baltoy, and kills his Azelf. Then Time is called, and I'm winning by 1 prize!

Sudden Death

I start with Turtwig and Baltoy. He starts with a Lux GL, the LV.X, an energy, and an energy gain. Level up, Bright Look, Energy, Gain, Flash Impact, Match Joe.

0-1 Another Great Game against Joe!

Round 2 vs. Michael with Pluffray

I tank Torterra, but not fast enough, so he's already taken 3 prizes. I scoop; too much quick damage.

Game 2

Exactly the same thing.

0-2 Nooooooooooooo I can't lose another game!

Round 3 vs. Luke with Arceus

I tank up Torterra, but somehow, not fast enough! His Arceus LV.X keeps Meteor Blasting and Sky Spearing my Pokes, So I lose the first game!

Game 2

CAN NOT LOSE. I tank the PL Torterra with 7 grass energies and a Sceptile. OHKO everything in sight with 180 damage Green Blast.

Game 3

Here's the decider: I tank almost instantly, with Sceptile and OHKO everything in sight to take 6 prizes. God I love this deck when it works!

1-2

Round 4 vs. Thomas with Mismagius GL/Gardelade/Golem 4

I tank up a Torterra mid-game, and take all my prizes very quickly. For some reason, his whole deck seemed to revolve around Meditite :confused: so I took lots (or to be exact, 6) prizes.

Game 2

Basically the same thing, but when he destroys my Grotle with Grudge, I get worried, so I build another tanked Torterra (MD) on my Bench, as well as my PT one. I think it does extra damage for each prize I have NOT taken, but I'm wrong, and he decimates my PT Torterra. So I bring up DawnTerra and Frenzy Plant FTW! Thank goodness I built a reserve!

2-2

Round 5 against ??? with Blastagatr

She hides behind my worst enemy Spiritomb, while she loads up Blastoise with energy. (And she had a cool 12th movie promo energy too) then she Aqua Pressed my Grotle. I promote up Turtwig and attach, while she Double Lancher's my Baltoy and Broken Turtwig (My Turtwig with a rip on the picture), so I scoop, and hope for a better setup next game.

Game 2

Spiritomb start again, and after a bit, she Bright Looks up my Baltoy and F impacts it. Now I only have Turtwig in play. I'm going to scoop, but then I see something quite funny to do. I flip heads on a Super Scoop Up, and lose because I have no Pokemon in play! This is called Super Scooping, and it's copyright DME 2010 (jus' kidding). My opponent thought: "That's brilliant!"

2-3

So I don't make top cut. No big deal. Great Tournament though, so thanks a ton to Jaedon for organising it!

Last edited:
Ahh, yesss....
If there are many fires in your area and you think that there would be many water decks too,
why have you not been playing such a thing as Luxchomp with Empoleon G/Qagsire GL
- Would have been much better/faster and I belive you would have had the Topcut!

Otherwise Congratz....

Darkmot.

I don't think I saw any Fire decks at all in Seniors.

But speed/disruption almost always beats tanking in this format.

Congrats on the wins!

well done on the wins, unfortunate about the losses but thats pokemon, you win some, you lose some!

Back