Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

States Competition

Diaz

Yesterday, I went to the NJ state championships, as did most NY/NJ players. PA states were also yesterday. Because States only have two dates, many players have to make the decision of which states to go to. Because the players are split between multiple events, there is less competition, and States are taking on the feel of a city championship with a top 8 cut. In the past, States in this area have had players from NY, NJ, and PA playing in the same event, and it was a more competitive event that just a citys. The metagame in NY and the metagame in PA are fairly different, and during citys, the two don’t really meet. It would have been great to have these two different groups play at States, but unfortunately that didn’t happen. The event really had the feel of a city championship. Is this happening elsewhere? Do you think that states are less competitive this year because there are only two dates, and players are split between multiple events?

Personally, I like the 'State' feel of this year. When you describe the past with NY, NJ, and PA it sounds more like a Regional to me. Here in Ohio for my family States was more competitive than Cities and Battle Roads. That may be because we don't travel the entire state for every City Championship and stay within about an hour of home. So we faced players from different parts of Ohio that we had never faced before. So for us the Ohio State Championship was a strong competition of Ohio players from different City areas and we are looking forward to even more competition at Regionals when we will join Michigan and Indiana. Just my view though.

here it was meh at best, we had 38 people total so it didnt really have a strong competitive feeling. I guess there was the NV v Cali thing(cuz they always outnumber us at our own states) but that rivalry has really lost its luster... so idk..
hopefully next week at states I can see a really competitive atmosphere.

i couple years ago i played in 4 states. now its down to one, possibly two. pui at work...

this year WI players had a tough decision to make, either IL or WI. Even after placing 2nd I would have gone to IL, WI wasn't a good experience.

The next closest tournament is at least 5 hours away this coming weekend, so I'm not sure I'm going to make it. Possibly MI, but we'll see.

Thanks PUI, you guys do an awesome job.:rolleyes:

this year WI players had a tough decision to make, either IL or WI. Even after placing 2nd I would have gone to IL, WI wasn't a good experience.

The next closest tournament is at least 5 hours away this coming weekend, so I'm not sure I'm going to make it. Possibly MI, but we'll see.

Thanks PUI, you guys do an awesome job.:rolleyes:

There are people out West that would kill for "only" a five hour drive to their 2nd state, much less, their own state! You gotta understand the OP and rankings system HAS to be fair to ALL that play OP in the USA. (Looking at USA only, not going to get into the Mexican and Canadian situations here) Why should eastern players get a chance to boost their rankings by playing 4 states and the west get 1 or maybe 2??

Keith

PS I'll be driving 4+ hrs 1 way to Judge a SC this week.

No complaining here. IL States was a BLAST. 130+ players from all over the area, even a couple that came down from Green Bay to play! I think we had representatives from 4, possibly 5 states at the event. I personally drove 3:30 one way, and I'll probably be driving another 3:30 one way this upcoming weekend. Not a problem for that.

AZ States was funny. We were expecting 90+ but we only had 60...apparently Cali decided not to show up en masse like they threatened to. What's up with that?

Florida was great. 170+ people and Heidi and everyone involved did a great job of organizing everything. :thumb:

My only complaint is that I didn't realize how cheap booster boxes were going to be so I had to run to the gas station across the street to get some money because it was just too good of a deal to pass up.

I STRONGLY want to thank complainers FOR reducing the number of week ends for states for making everyone's life more enjoyable. All the people that we might have met at these events, I am sorry we didn't get to meet each other.

I know that know you will get the INVITES, now that you have limited the competion to your states. The traveling players truley LIMITED your ability to get your rankings UP. I am sure you have moved on to a new reason your rankings aren't as good as other folks.

I know that there are reasons that some folks can't travel to events. But again, I think this is another reason just to do away with rankings, and give Invites to Regional Tops and National Tops in the US.

Next year I suggest we check ID's at the door and have a proof of RESIDENCY. But if we do continue on this path of limiting the events. Not just for states but make that for REGIONALS, and even CITIES. If you town doesn't have a city, well tough.

:lol:

ps my tonge is in cheek, but these events are great, and it is a shame that folks that enjoy them enought to travel a distance hours to them can't do more than 2 events. Again if ranking issues is the reason, maybe one should ask if there is a better, more healthy way of doing invites.

There are people out West that would kill for "only" a five hour drive to their 2nd state, much less, their own state! You gotta understand the OP and rankings system HAS to be fair to ALL that play OP in the USA. (Looking at USA only, not going to get into the Mexican and Canadian situations here) Why should eastern players get a chance to boost their rankings by playing 4 states and the west get 1 or maybe 2??

Keith

PS I'll be driving 4+ hrs 1 way to Judge a SC this week.

Keith,

I strongly disagree with you. The whole ranking system for invites is ruining the state of organized play. Who ever heard of limiting the total number of event that people can play in? From a marketing perspective, you would want the most amount of exposure for you product. Why would you limit that for THOUSANDS of people to please just a handful? It makes no sense to me.

I agree that they are at a disadvantage for ranking points. But to limit the opprotunities the rest of us have to play competitively is absolutly absurd. So if one kid swears in class the whole class should suffer. Crazy!!!

I do like some of the things that PUI has implemented over the years. This however is not one of them. It is hard for me to push the "product" (Pokemon) if I can only tell people that they have only regional and nationals left to play in that really mean anything. Is it fair to all the new players I am currently getting into the game? Shouldnt they have the same opprotunities as everyone else? They were not involved in the game Sept. 1st. How are they gonna get ranking points? You cant be fair to everyone.

I just do not believe that restricting 90% of the player base to limited events to please the other 10% is the right thing to do.

I miss the day where if you WIN a major like regionals you get invited. I do agree that regionals could be limited to one day. This way its fair for everyone. Top 2 or 4 from each age group recieves an invite. Whats so unfair about that. EVERYONE has the same Opprotunity if its all in one day. Do NOT however limit the weekends of states or Cities. Do not tell me that Battle Roads are just as competitive either. Without the opprotunity for ranking, those events wouldnt get 20 people.

Please PUI do away with the ranking system and take the handcuffs off the majority of your player base.

Thanx,
JImmy

Last edited:
Jimmy: Hey, I understand everyone's side here. Glad you took the opposite of what I wrote. I only agree with limiting events IF PUI continues to award invites via rankings. The points opportunities ought to be equal. You agree there.

Now, I would LOVE to see more opportunities for the players to play this great game. I have stated several times that Reg's winners IMO should get invites to Worlds. I have even stated this to the PUI gang, so dont call me a PUI homer. :lol: PUI listened to the player base complain about donks getting invites to Worlds via Gym challenges. They argued for a reward for consistency over the season. So, point rankings came around. Now, people gripe about the way the east coast had a "bias" with more accessible events. So, PUI listened again and evened the field on the dates of events.

I agree the points system has changed this game in the way the players play. They dont play as many new/rogue decks for fear of losing points. Friendships have changed bc of points. PUI OP has a tough job satisfying everyone eh? It is an impossible job and they do it pretty darn well.

Keith

See, I am on the fence here, I can see both points even though I live on the east coast where I can go 2 hours and hit up 4 different states and have before. Last year 2 were on the same day so I only went to 3. However, it really is a double-edged sword that POP is dealing with. You have states on the West Coast, that are so big that traveling to 2 let alone 3 or 4 is a pain. I mean if I had to drive over 5 hours to get to a state, I would most might not being going. While I can understand the reasoning, I like playing. I wish that there was a solution that would work. I can see POP taking Cali and some of the bigger states and making an Eastern Cali state championship and a Southern Cali state championship. I can also see how some people would think, "why do they get 2 states, when we only get 1." Well, I already explain that if you can drive like I can 2 hours to get to 4 different states it makes it a bit more even.

I also dont know if I completely agree with you Jimmy. I do on some parts but others I differ. I think that the ratings is a good idea, whether it is a practical way of doing it and being fair is a whole other. I can see how the rankings can be helpful on see who were the most consistent players during the year, and how giving them out at events prevents players from lucksacking through 1 tournament and winning a trip from winning 1 event. Anyone even the worst player can have a great day and win a trip if we still had GC. I dont know, what the best idea for giving out trips, but I dont know if we should really be complain when I cant think of a better idea of giving out invites that would be fair to everyone. I can bet you can Jimmy, but I sure as heck cant. So until POP gets an idea it can live with then I think Ratings will be here to stay.

JMO,
Drew

Back