Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Steelix?

wolfroke

Can someone explain to me why Steelix is a good card?

I mean, its stadium Crush is a high cost, but the energy stream is okay, but I'm not sure why anyone would use it or how they can easily.

its a tank basically, people would get 2-3 sp metal and expert belt on it and combine it with blissy pl to heal it, which let it survive long enough to ko.

before reshiram and zekrom came around there was very few things that could do 100+ dam and had such high health and be so easy to get out.

but with fire being popular again and the rotation of expert belt and blissy its lost a lot of its power. the main things it has or will have to help it is blissy prime/max potion combined with klinklang or serperior (ability) but those options both have fire weak poke.

Steelix was a really good metaplay at one point, but is currently not that great. It gained a lot of popularity in a format where Luxchomp was the BDIF. With special metals, expert belt, healing cards like moomoo milk and life herb, and the Platinum blissey, steelix could overcome the quick damage that Luxchomp used to chip away at most decks. A plus was the high-hp basics as well, providing you with a deck that was largely undonkable.

There were other important considerations that again reflect the metagame at the time. Fire pokemon were hardly played (good weakness then), steelix was a stage 1 (unlike regigigas, it was good against Machamp), it had the pokebody (so unlike donphan, it was good against Crobat g), and it had resistance to psychic (good against GG and cursegar). The stadium discard was huge against gyarados as well ( not to mention other decks that used broken time-space).

Sadly, it's just not that great a card right now. Reshiram is mean to it, emboar can one shot it, and Magnezone blows it away. I wouldn't be surprised it if shows up again, but it's got a tough metagame to consider.

Hope this helped!
Posted with Mobile style...

Steelix was a really good metaplay at one point, but is currently not that great. It gained a lot of popularity in a format where Luxchomp was the BDIF. With special metals, expert belt, healing cards like moomoo milk and life herb, and the Platinum blissey, steelix could overcome the quick damage that Luxchomp used to chip away at most decks. A plus was the high-hp basics as well, providing you with a deck that was largely undonkable.

There were other important considerations that again reflect the metagame at the time. Fire pokemon were hardly played (good weakness then), steelix was a stage 1 (unlike regigigas, it was good against Machamp), it had the pokebody (so unlike donphan, it was good against Crobat g), and it had resistance to psychic (good against GG and cursegar). The stadium discard was huge against gyarados as well ( not to mention other decks that used broken time-space).

Sadly, it's just not that great a card right now. Reshiram is mean to it, emboar can one shot it, and Magnezone blows it away. I wouldn't be surprised it if shows up again, but it's got a tough metagame to consider.

Hope this helped!
Posted with Mobile style...

Don't forget that it for the most part could function on next to no set up, making it very difficult to disrupt/stop. This meant that any deck that relied on winning by disrupting the opponents set up usually failed, since when you played against a Steelix, you usually had to play out the full game against it.

Something else we forgot:

Cards like Skarmory make it pretty easy to set up, especially when paired with Engineer's adjustment and energy exchanger.

Also, I think Mawhile becomes a stupidly good card with reflip Victini, seems like an amazing starter, maybe the best in the format.

Back