Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

strategy games?

There's kinda two different animals that you're talking about.

I play more Starcraft and Warhammer style games. Ones predicated on resource gathering and starting from scratch for each mission.

I did like the more RPG-inspired FF12 Rev Wings for the DS.

Is Fire Emblem similar to Rev Wings? Or the other way around? That was a fun game, and I'd like to see more of those.

ive never played it before so i wouldnt know some1 else might and fire emblem is kinda hard 2 explain to new pepole

Fire Emblem is sort of similar to Final Fantasy Tactics IIRC. Basically it combines RPGs with Tactic-type gameplay.
IE if a character dies, they are gone for good (no reviving). Never really liked those kinds of games.

advance wars is god tier for turn based games.

never been a big fan of RTS's though, might try SC2 when its out...

IMHO Disgaea is the best series of strategy games on the planet. (Not that I've played every single SRPG out there, but I've played quite a few)

It never fails to have an awesome storyline
The characters are lovable/relateable/loveably hateable
The sheer depth of the gameplay is staggering.

Standard SRPG
Level Cap: 100
Items: all identical (A Potion is a Potion)
Sidequests: a few, one or two only possible on new game +
Weapons skills: either unique to character or job-related

Disgaea
Level Cap: 9999 (Not a typo, dood)
Items: fully customizeable, able to be levelled up
Sidequests: Many, MOST of which are only possible on new game +
Weapons skills: Fully customizeable. You can give an archer a staff if you want to. She may not know how to use it, but you can!

Anyway, I love to talk about Disgaea. :D As you might have noticed. I'm also a fan of FFTA/FFTA2.

IMHO Disgaea is the best series of strategy games on the planet. (Not that I've played every single SRPG out there, but I've played quite a few)

It never fails to have an awesome storyline
The characters are lovable/relateable/loveably hateable
The sheer depth of the gameplay is staggering.

Standard SRPG
Level Cap: 100
Items: all identical (A Potion is a Potion)
Sidequests: a few, one or two only possible on new game +
Weapons skills: either unique to character or job-related

Disgaea
Level Cap: 9999 (Not a typo, dood)
Items: fully customizeable, able to be levelled up
Sidequests: Many, MOST of which are only possible on new game +
Weapons skills: Fully customizeable. You can give an archer a staff if you want to. She may not know how to use it, but you can!

Anyway, I love to talk about Disgaea. :D As you might have noticed. I'm also a fan of FFTA/FFTA2.
i conpletely agree that disgaea is the best. i still have to get disgaea 3.

As have I. :) I agree, it's good. But as a 'been-there, done-that' gamer I really liked Disgaea. I've got over 200 hours on my file and I'm at about 50% completion. (Disgaea DS) Really, is there another game so difficult to complete???

As have I. :) I agree, it's good. But as a 'been-there, done-that' gamer I really liked Disgaea. I've got over 200 hours on my file and I'm at about 50% completion. (Disgaea DS) Really, is there another game so difficult to complete???

On my disgaea ds i had like 150+ hours of gameplay and was like 90% finished.

PS: Has anyone play final fantasy tactics on ds? Is it good?

Last edited:
Not sure. You might have to order it online and find a place that ships. There were three versions of the first Disgaea.

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (PS2) - The original
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness (PSP) - First port. A couple of glitches in that one that aren't very good. (Particularly one that if you countered a certain number of times it froze your game)
Disgaea: DS (DS) - The second port. My favorite. :)

So try searching all three names, maybe?

I love strat games. I just love Advance Wars 2 and DS, they make you think. The only RTS I have played is Rise of Nations which is so amazing. I prefer Turn-Based over Real-time though.

---------- Post added 05/20/2010 at 03:39 PM ----------

Has anyone played disgaea 3? I want to know how fun this game is.

I have it. Bought at Gamesop while their sale was going on and I got for $20 new. The game is amazing though it seems to very time intensive. Read the guide on gamefaqs and you will know how much depth this game has. The story is hilarious too.

I also like Tactical RPGs (Turn Based Combat takes place on a grid) like Front Mission. I imported Front Mission 5 for the PS2 and the game is so amazing. I'll list the strat games I have later.

Last edited:
I don't know if you class Monster Hunter as a SRPG, but I think the game is fantastic. The amount of customisation available is amazing, the item pool is incredible, the weapons are varied and just generally amazing, and the wyvern battles are the most intense I've ever played. I would say that strategy (as well as nerve) is a big part of the battles - most of it is knowing when to use items, planning ahead on what you're going to do, studying the monster's behaviour etc.

Back