Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Super Sharpedo! What? Kissimee Tourny Report

JokerBoi

Oh my gosh, after staying up till 3 o'clock Saturday morning I had no clue what to play at cities. I was convinced that I wanted to play something with raichu, but then I though I might have to play flygon, soon after I was more obligated to just go with my Banette Eeveelution Variant. Upon waking up in the morning I still had no clue so I packed my bags and just went. When I got to the tournament I was like an hour and thirty minutes early I took a decklist and I just wanted to make something with the cards I had because I hate when I have to scramble to get cards for a deck. Sharpedo was the only pokemon that seemed consistent and good enough to actually win me something but behind every great pokemon is its side kick I have spent MONTHS thinking of something to play with Sharpedo but at that moment the best thing seemed like stantler which has been getting SO much hype so I thought if it works with Raichu, Banette and Marowak why wouldn’t it work with the shark. So I make my list and I have to say ALOT of people laughed at me I didn’t think anything was funny.

Round 1: Robert Ector (Jokerboi) vs Dave Christian (The Gorn)
I didn’t know what to expect out of him and it really scared me a bit when he flipped Eleckid DF, against my Stantler. He evolved first turn and cycloned benching my stantler and bringing up a benched Carnavah I evolve into Sharpedo free retreat back to stantler and confuse him. I start to get the feeling he is playing elecatty just by the electabuzz so when he mentors and plays a skitty I have a way better understanding of what I am up against. As the match goes on he starts to get a slight upper hand Ko'ing one of my sharpedos out of no where with a delcatty. But my cursed stone eats two of his electabuzz down to 10 hp left and I KNEW that recycling all those energy only made him draw more energy that’s why I wasn’t surprised he didn’t have anymore delcatty after I Ko'ed the first two he couldnt find any in the deck. The thing that wrapped up this game is when I used ascension with my shuppet to get a Banete CG and he didn’t know it had safeguard and attempted to attack it that stalled me time to get set up and finish off his to electabuzz and his last delcatty.
1-0

Round 2: Robert Ector (Jokerboi) vs Richard Forrest (Psycho)
I sat next to him in the previous round and knew he was playing metanite I felt really confident in this match up since stantler just Locks them and Sharpedo isn’t all that easy to KO. I start off with a stantler that soon retreats to a Jirachi in an attempt to shut him down. He brings up a dragonair on the bench and evolves into dragonite ex delta! I am thinking, you HAVE to be kidding me he wasn’t and he deafened me putting 50 on my Jirachi since I had a previous 10 from rainbow energy. I need my Jirachi to stay alive so I retreat and send up a Sharpedo with two dark and drag off keep up Dragonite, great right? NOT he uses deafen for 80! I mean who plays grass I didn’t pay attention to his weakness. So on my next turn I am faced with a hard decision attach another dark and KO draggy and get Ko'ed right back my meta or drag something off I decided to KO the Draggy. He Ko's my sharpedo next turn and I send up stantler play cursed stone, cessation, screechy voice. So now he is basically locked. This lock continues for a few turns eating up his bench with my cursed stone. Once I was down to about one prize his life came down to an agility flip and he flips tails allowing me to drag off and win.
2-0

Lunch Break: Everyone is like YOU are 2-0 with....SHARPEDO! I go eat and comeback to play some more pokeman!

Round 3: Robert Ector (Jokerboi) vs Colton Meahl (Does he have a name on here?)
I used to hate playing Colton because I always felt he would get his never-ending god starts and I would always loose however since last cities I top 4’Ed at I beat him in top 8 and I feel I can really beat him now. Anyway my starting hand was...I kid you not a Banette a mary's and 5 energy I attach first turn and ascension to Banette CG he goes and does the whole mentor/castform thing ALL the decks in the format like to do I am like...okay. I Mary’s and attach to Banette, bench a stantler and attack 30 to castform and he is confused. He does some fancy warp point free retreat beldum move and draws like 5 cards. I think okay so now I have stantler up I attach crystal, energy and attack. He begins to set up over the course of the next few turns he eventually Ko's stantler and I duke it out with Sharpedo he played a little slow also since our turns were very strategic and took a little but while he had a 2 prize lead over me but knew in a few turns I would catch up so his play to me seemed to slow down a bit but I did tie up prizes and I felt extremely comfortable. I AM NOT SAYING HE STALLED. I made sure every time I played a stadium it was never in play with a tool and every time I played a tool it was never in play with a stadium that way when they windstorm they are really wasting it especially since he used 2 of his 4 winstorms on cursed stone's. Eventually I have a shark up and he discards ALL energy to kill me by this point all his windstorms are gone and I send up another shark and play BF which is locked in he cant really do anything at this point and we go throw a lot of retreating to stay alive and things like that in the end he had a Latias d HP on the bench with 5 damage and just had flipped a heads on agility I discard his castform on draggy with ER2 so now he is really screwed and since he couldnt agility next turn to protect him I drag off the Latias FTW.
3-0

I am like yay! I am 3-0

Round 4: Robert Ector (Jokerboi) Vs Kyle Sabelhaus (K-Psycho)
We had played a fun game before where I misplayed but we never finish. AGAIN metanite I am like ugh. I draw my first 6 cards with no base and I am thinking watch this next card be Jirachi and it is. So I go first Jirachi attach rainbow pass. He top decks the transceiver and does the classic Holon draw. I have no energy in hand and a mary’s and castaway I think I want to play mary’s but I am scared I might not get an energy so I will castaway if I top deck no energy or if I top deck dark I top deck dark and castaway. Jirachi hits for 30 and shuts him down. I shut him down with Jirachi for a couple of turns hit heads on two er2 flips and things are looking up. Then he sends up dratini and paralyzes my Jirachi so I am like err... I play no switch cards no scoop up so all I can do is set up some more he KO’s my Jirachi with metagross. I send up Pedo and we go back in forth on Ko's in the end I have won the stadium war and have a cursed stone in play he has sudowoodo yes sudowoodo and two draggys on the bench with sceepy ex d active which wasn’t a big help to him in this game since it arrived extremely late. Now it is my turn I have a prize left thing have gone GREAT for me in this game I won the war, I hit heads on ALL 4 er2, and I just know I have the game in the bag. I have holon legacy in my hand that I should’ve just played to stop him from doing anything but I thought the key to winning was dragging off draggy and the only way to KO draggy was to keep my stone in play BUT I already had a stone in my had so I could’ve dropped legacy prevented him from doing anything then played another stone next turn and dragged off his draggy and win in between turns. But I being me ended my turn without playing legacy. He draws attaches to sceepy double delta charge to sudowoodo and then drags off my sharpedo on the with 80 damage on it from being hit by its own darkness blast from sudowoodo. THAT misplay killed me but I ate it and moved on.
3-1

People have gained a little respect for the shark so I hope I don’t go 3-3 and look like a fool.

Round 5: Robert Ector vs David Hubbs
I knew what he was playing and I knew he had some fighting so when I was forced to choose between Carnavah and stantler I choose stantler anyway because that is my starter. Not to my surprise he starts with baltoy a fighting type I went first hit for 10 and benched a Jirachi ex along Carnavah. He goes attaches hits for 20. I go attach to stantler drop cursed stone which hits his eevee on the bench and then push away his giant stump. He goes and uses self destruct Ko’ing us both and forcing me to move up Jirachi. I attach to Jirachi and basically end my turn. He takes a look at Jirachi and sends up sabeleye CG with a dark and disables me. Sabeleye is getting hit by stone and eevee eventually dies. He has a medicham on the bench that I pay no mind I send up sharpedo and KO his sabeleye. He sends up medicham and attempts to paralyze he flips tails and see he can’t win and shakes my hand.
4-1

Round 6: Robert Ector vs Alex Hill (Homega-Alexhandros) -is that how you spell it?
All day Alex was like I hope I don’t play him that is my ONLY auto lose and how unlucky is he to get paired up with me since he was 3-2 he played a deck similar to mine only with Banette instead of Sharpedo and Sharpedo eats Banette. So we start I start a little slower than I wanted to I attach a dark to my active Carnavah on first turn and end. He attaches a cyclone to his shuppet forcing me to move up a stantler and ascensions. I ER2 his energy and confuse him. He retreats to the bench and sends up a poochyena and attaches. I play cursed stone and hit poochyena for 10. He evolves into mightyena dx and uses that one attack for 30 that makes me discard down to 4. I pull away like an idiot and allow myself to get knocked. I finally have a shark and drag off his nette for a Kop. He swarms stantlers and mightyenas we are both laughing and having fun with this match up since it was so one-sided. He tries to confuse my shark but it doesn’t really help since I have a free retreat and I retreat to my sharpedo d and KO him. He attempts to play shuppet on the bench it gets dragged off and Ko'ed. Finally I have my last prize and we shake hands.
5-1

Yes! I am in the top with Sharpedo lmao this is what our top 8 looked like
1) Kyle Sabelhaus-Metanite
2) Robert Ector-Super Sharpedo (haven’t thought of name)
3) Colton Meahl-Metanite
4) Carson Roll-Flygon ex d
5) Jin Wang-Delta Sploosh
6) Richard Forrest-Metanite
7) Zach-Delta/Raieggs
8) Aaron Curry-Metanite

With all that metanite in the top you would think I would get lucky and play one first round well I don’t I have to play Raieggs which is one of my worst match-ups and honestly I wasn’t expecting anyone to really play it nor was I pre-pared for it. So I told myself I would try my best top 8 was good enough for me anyway since that first round was the first time I never played the deck lol.

Top 8

Joker Boy vs Rambo1000
Game 1
I am extremely tiered so I will elaborate later. The game came down to me hitting an er2 I had 3 cards left in my deck and needed to scientist for 2 but I acted stupid and benched two pokemon when I was only supposed to bench 1 making me lose the game by decking out.
0-1
Game 2
I choked on key flips and couldnt get the same advantage I had in game one without scrambles killing me
0-2

So I end up in 5th I will assume since who Rambo lost to won. Overall I know sharpedo is a good stantler variant I really don’t care what anyone says and I think I did good for a deck that I scrambled together and never really played before in my life. I do however; think it was unlucky how I had to face my worst match up in top 8 when there were like 4 metanite. See you at states!

Props:
Sharpedo ex for having no bodies/powers, 2 awesome attacks, and no retreat cost
Muk Man for discovering stantler
Jirachi ex for being so cute and still so playable
Sharpedo for going 5-1
All of the HALARIOUS pokemon players
Heidi running yet another awesome event

Slops:
Having to play Raieggs
Misplays as always

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water.........................................................................................................................Lol

Last edited:
Robert, much props to you for doing as well as you did with a rogue deck that you has just put together. It stinks that you had to play Raieggs in T8. I was supposed to be there yesterday but I woke up extremely tired and 5 more minutes turned into a few more hours. Anyway, congrats and hope to see you at the prerelease.

BTW, who won?

Nice job Robert. That was a good game. My last Skitty was in the prizes. That's the way it goes sometimes. But you were rolling anyway. It would have been hard to stop you at that point.

Nick, we were talking about you on the way home last night, wondering where you were. Hopefully you'll be at States.

Good going with my favorite Pokemon this format! A friend of mine went 5-0 in swiss with an Arcanine/stantler, only to get donked, but oh well. Long live the reindeer. :wink:

gj. delta IS your worst matchup, ***** you had to play the only one in top first round. gl with the deck though, it's definately hot. i topcutted with a stantler varient yesterday.

Nick-Sorry you couldnt make it, and Colton won that kinda urked me because i beat him in swiss.
Dave-Yeah it was a nice match! I had no clue the skitty was prized
Ryan-Yep! Stanler is hawt.
Espeonchris-Thanks!
Tag-I havent seen you in so long I am gonna see if I can make it. Thanks!
Patriach-Thanks
Lord Brolly-Thanks lol
Rambo-thanks for the trade and for the support what did you play stantler with though?

I didn't realize that Colton won. He's had a lot of 2nds this year, so it's nice that he finally won one. Congrats to Colton!

Back