Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

SV Honchkrow + Grachomp C

im9today

Honchkrow wasn't a very good card honestly, even though there was that Dark Wing Duck deck. But the new SV Honchkow sounds pretty nice.

Honchkrow LV.46 - Darkness - HP90
Stage 1 - Evolves from Murkrow

Poke-Power: Dark Revival
You can use this Power once during your turn, if this Pokemon is your Active Pokemon. If your opponent has room on his or her Bench, choose 1 Basic Pokemon card from your opponent’s discard pile and play it on your opponent’s Bench. This Power can’t be used if this Pokemon is affected by a Special Condition.

[D][C][C] Riot: 30 damage. This attack does an additional 10 damage for every Unevolved Pokemon in play (yours and your opponent’s).

Weakness: Lightning (+20)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)
Retreat Cost: 1
Set Number: 63

The power sounds like you are helping them out, but then with Honchkrow LV.X having free retreat, you could retreat into a good sniping card, such as Garchomp C LV.X, and snipe that basic for cheap prizes. Even if it is an SP deck, most regular SPs don't have much more than 80 and if they do you can drop Crobats.

Not too sure how well this would work, but that's why I'm consulting you guys. :)

Honchkrow was awesome, and getting better with this one.

The new Murkrow is not bad. For no energy, you can move tools == dissolve Energy Gains by moving them from SP to Uxie. 70 hp is also pretty tough for evolving basic.

This Honchy will obviously be used for it's power. While it's attack can deal a load of damage, setting up 3 energies to a Honchkrow (except in case of Honchkrow MT) sounds a bit of a waste, considering it's low HP and fairly common weakness. But this will raise Honchy able to get a prize per turn if the setup is correct. That is, if you're rotating Crobats and your opponent is playing some 50hp basics (Unown G, Trapinch, Nidoran, Gastly, Baltoy...) and get the Lv.X to do some faint attacking.

Either way, this is going to get me to recreate Honchkrow-Palkia-Absol deck, as discarding basics with Absol, reviving them with Honchy in crucial situation and either calling them in with Palkia X / sniping them with Honchy X will be the most fun I've had since Worlds 2008.

I have had my eye on this card ever since seeing the translation months ago. I think it may be playable in Dusknoir, and could possibly lead to a small revival of the deck. It would be like Lumineon, except the effect would be completely unpreventable and endlessly repeatable, barring Night Maintenance/Aaron's Collection/other rescue cards. DP Dusknoir would offer the usual disruption and allow you to send their main attackers back if the opponent plays sloppy, and SF Dusknoir would lets you KO the revived Basic with Damage Even. There would be problems getting the Honchkrow active on a regular basis though, and in this format, it is hard to sustain a huge Damage Even for very long.

I could also potentially see this being run with a combination of Metagross. The idea would be to revive low HP Basics, drag up big retreaters like Claydol with LA Metagross, and then snipe those Basics with Honchkrow level X while the Body of SV Metagross in effect, lowering their HP by 20. Any of the Pixies would be a Crobat G away from a OHKO, and any 60 HP-or-less Basic would already be OHKOed.

You know, this is the one card that I actually liked out of SV? I mean, you could turn this into a disruption deck, or a beatdown deck, or anything else that you could think of. Except spread. Honchy doesn't spread. He could clean up after, but he doesn't spread.

The new Murkrow is nice, too.

I love this card. I proxied a deck with this, crobat and honch g and it's so fun. I also added a luxray tech. It just takes prizes so quickly. Also with honch x you don't even have to retreat to take a prizes. You put a baltoy on the bench, poketurn a bat, put it down and then kill the baltoy.

Haha, I was actually having a debate with a friend over this very combo earlier(I had not seen this topic)

His idea was Gardevoir Lv. X + Honchkrow SV, and after weighing the pros/cons I was sure Garchomp was better

Garchomp Version:
+80 Damage KOS a lot of basics
+Straight Damage
+Very fast to set up
+Free Retreat
+Benefits other SPs/Receives benefits from SP support
-Discard 2 Energy(Can be fixed with Pick Ups/Flints
-Needs to burn switches in order to do this every turn(Or Palkia+Moonlight)

Garde Lv. X:
+Insta KO
+Levels off good support base
+Teleportation lets you potentially get it off every turn
-Can target your own stuff(Not very reliable)
-Stage 2
-Blocked by Unown G
-May not target revived card

Back