Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

SW Venomoth is awesome!

Prime

Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host
80HP is blah in this day and age, but Venomoth's other qualities make up for it. Venomoth has a great, fantastic, super-d-duper Poke-Body that puts any Pokemon that attacks Venomoth (and does damage, even if Venomoth is KO'd) to sleep and makes it poisoned. It's not even a flip of a coin. That is sick.

Then it has an attack for GG that does 50 damage. 50 for 2 is above average, which and GG is fairly cheap. The attack also has an effect that makes Venomoth immune to all effects of attacks excluding damage next turn. I love that ability. It really hurts decks like Gallade/Banette that place damage counters.

Grass isn't the best type right now, but beggars can't be choosers. One retreat is decent, and fire weakness is not bad at the moment. Another great thing about Venomoth is the fighting resistance (-20). It takes Lucario 4 shots to KO Venomoth, and Gallade has to flip over 2 prizes to OHKO Venomoth.

I feel Venomoth could be a decent metagame play at the moment, but I have no idea what to run it with. I've thought about Pidgeot SW, as a good 120HP pokemon that has free retreat, also has resistance to fighting, and can disrupt the opponent's pokemon too. Throw in a Pidgeot d with some GL in the deck (maybe) and you could shut down the opponent's (non-delta) poke-powers. That'd help against Delcatty PK, Gardevior SW, Lucario lv.X, Electivire, and a few other cards.

Any ideas? Any thoughts on Venomoth?

hmmm....sounds decent..maybe u need latilock but dont go and have both it and pidge d out at same time....

...Wow, nice idea. Seriously. Try Venamoth with Wormadam plant cloak, both are quick stage ones with alot of fighting power.

And combo with Mothim if you are going with the plant cloak idea for lots of low energy hitting fun.

The true power of this will really be felt next set, with the duplication of Grass energy through Sceptile, wherein, it will be 50 for 1!

Vince

My girlfriend runs venomoth in her deck and its sick she can be poweriing up her bigger pokemon and still be doing damge and puting me to sleep via sleep/poison its so good she beats me every game with it

I know the 4th place person at Fort Worth Cities had Venomoth, Breloom, Parasect as a deck... and it was very effective! Breloom handled all the free retreat pokes and the deck continually held itself! Status was also the issue with Parasect coming into play and hitting for bonus damage and status! It was very nice and rogue!!

~Prof. Fish~

I doubt Venomoth is the new Ariados. Your opponent can actually control the status conditions by sniping the bench or not attacking Venomoth with damage. But Venomoth definitely has a lot of potential, and can deal good damage and status conditions very easily.

Seems that maybe snipping the bench or holding your attackers back on your bench until it's time may be the answer. Just guessing at this point though, having never played against it.

I think it is Flaridos all over again, obviously not as good....thats a major DUH but, it has some of the attributes. I think this Venomoth is just amazing, decent attack and great Poke Body. Watch out for this card because it has potential IMO.

Venamoth 2 shots Blissey as long as Blissey attacks it and Blissey can never really 1 shot Venamoth unless it uses Boost or Plus Power. So I've always considered it anti-Blissey ever since it came out.

Against Gallade, same thing as Blissey really.

Honestly, you could use Venamoth with Blissey and it would probably win.

Hmmm, interesting. That's pretty annoying, but unless your opponent doesn't know what it does, it doesn't seem that hard to play around. Just put up a sacrifice until you can OHKO or snipe or be prepared to evolve next turn or drop a Cessation... etc...

Going to sleep at the end of your turn isn't too bad; you've got two chances to wake up before it's time to attack again. Getting poisoned at the end of your turn is a bummer though; that's an automatic 20 damage there. But I agree with Sparta, getting poisoned and asleep is a small price to pay to knock out such a small and fragile pokemon.

(And Lucario doesn't 4-hit Venomoth; it does 20 with Aura Sphere, probably even before Venomoth comes active, setting Venomoth up for a 1-hit with close combat.)

Jayson, that's in that one situation. On a one-on-one (turn 2 for both players), Lucario does 4-hit KO the Venomoth. Of course, if Lucario drops 4 Plus Powers, and a Crystal shard, it can easily OHKO Venomoth! /sarcasm

I would definitely run Buffer Piece with the deck, and hope to survive shots of 80-90.

Don't forget Lucario's first attack. It ignores resistance. That's still a 3 shot without Plus or Str Charm or earlier damage spread, but it helps some.

And for only one energy! Man, Lucario is awesome! Erm....Venomoth :p

Jayson, that's in that one situation. On a one-on-one (turn 2 for both players), Lucario does 4-hit KO the Venomoth. Of course, if Lucario drops 4 Plus Powers, and a Crystal shard, it can easily OHKO Venomoth! /sarcasm

I would definitely run Buffer Piece with the deck, and hope to survive shots of 80-90.

Aura Sphere Close Combat. 40+80-40=80, and you go to sleep and take some poison.

Of course the Lucario will be able to level up on T3. Seriously, Lucario has answers to Venomoth but most of those answers aren't going to show up that often. It's not like every Lucario is going to snipe a Venomoth the turn before it attacks it and every Lucario is going to level up the turn after it hits it with Aura Sphere.

You both are speaking situational, I'm speaking plan math. On the most common situation.

Back