Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus

Iron Chef - Master Emeritus
~Dendrobatida~

"Gardevoir, Delta Species:

This is one bizarre pokemon...Both attacks have damage that is controlled by your opponent, and that he or she can see coming from a mile away. The pokemon power is useful, but is outdone by any number of more useful powers, like metagross, venusaur, delta dragonite, or even the new delta mewtwo.

I'll see if I can't try to make use of delta gardevoir's power and at least one of its attacks:

Blackbird:

4 Rocket's Zapdos -ex
4 Ralts (EM)
4 Kirlia (EM)
3 Gardevoir (Delta Species)
2 Gardevoir (EM)
2 Slugma (collect)
2 Magcargo (smooth over)
1 Aipom (UF)
Total: 22

4 TV Reporter
4 Rocket's Mission
2 Rocket's Admin
2 Lanette's Net Search
4 Rocket's Hideout
4 Super Scoop Up
1 Pokemon Retriever
Total: 21

2 Darkness energy
4 Dark Metal Energy
8 Lightning energy
3 psychic energy
Total: 17

Strategy: Though Zapdos is your ideal starter, Ralts will do as well (and slugma collects, so in a pinch that ain't bad). Assuming a zapdos start, simply begin powering it up, attacking for 10 (or 20), then 60 or 70 as early as turn 2, provided you can get a lightning in the discard via any one of your 8 supporters that can do so, or by retreating your starting ralts. Meanwhile, as zapdos acts as a shield, begin building the benched gardevoir(s). The self-damage from Zapdos's attack may be placed on benched ralts, kirlia, and gardevoirs, particularly those you intend to evolve into the delta species gardy. Emerald gardevoir serves to help modulate the damage flow if you aren't ready to unleash the delta gardy, or to combine with zapdos's pokebody to allow it to shield longer. Once zapdos has attacked 3 times, there is a good possibility you'll have 90 damage on a Gardevoir D, which allows a powerful (albeit suicidal) attack at anything on the board. When you're ready for that, or if the active zapdos has taken too much damage, use Gardevoir D to trans energy down to either another zappy or Gardevoir D, super scoop up the active, and bring out the new attacker. Alternatively, super scoop up can be used to effectively absorb more zapdos attacks by picking up damaged benched zapdos. In short, the cycle goes Zapdos-Zapdos-Zapdos-Trans+scoop-Gardevoir-Zapdos-Zapdos-Zapdos, etc. Ideally, a quick zapdos will also force them to fill their bench, so as to avoid early t2 or t3 ko's. That will make Gardevoir D's second attack more useful. Through early zapdos + Zapdos's second attack + the trans and scoop combo, we're successfully utilizing all three aspects of Gardevoir D with greater control than relying on our opponent to activate our attacks for us.

Individual card explanations:

4 Kirlia: When adding damage to ourselves, building it up to snipe things off with gardevoir, it doesn't pay to candy up to gardy, since an ATM rock can ruin things for us pretty darn quick.

Gardevoir (EM): Keeps Zapdos in there longer (aggregate -30 damage per turn w. pokebody activated), or lets us better control how much our Gardevoir D is taking; keeps it out of plusle range.

Magcargo: Pidgeot would have made the deck too frontierable. It functions particularly well with the amount of straight draw we run in order to get lightning energy to the discard for Rocket's Zapdos. It also works well with the next card...

Aipom: Serves 2 purposes - combo with Magcargo for instant search, and absorbs shots from zapdos. Being able to take the 30, then shuffle him in the next turn is a good safety valve.

Lanette's net search: I'm the biggest plusle fan there is (no, really), and with lightning in the deck it's incredibly tempting. However, we need to be attacking ASAP with Rocket's Zapdos, so it becomes our designated starter. With 4 different types of pokemon, Lanettes will fill the bench nicely. I run only 2 because it tends to be useless mid and late game.

4 rocket's hideout: Allows Zapdos to last that much longer, and, more importantly, counters both battle frontier and desert ruins, both of which mess this deck up badly. Hence 4 of them, and magcargo to get them in case frontier is in play.

Darkness energy: Since we're adding damage to ourselves anyway, I decided to go with this over metal. More damage=good, and since zapdos is going to be active the majority of the time (ideally), I think benefitting him is better than benefitting the kamikaze Gardevoir.

Dark Metal: Activates Zapdos's pokebody and powers Gardevoir D's first attack.

Pokemon Retriever: Assuming we aren't going to lose at least one gardevoir evolution line is just naive.

Overall, a tough card - incredibly opponent-dependant, bizarre mix of abilities, no extremely obvious combos right now. I would have loved to have found room for Unown E, or plusle but the list is tight as it is, and sacrifices must be made....

Thanks; it was a challenge!"

~Ruler of Ice~

"!!~!IrOn ChEf!~!!
Ingredent:Gardy"d"
Date:October 21st, 2005

Pokemon:19
4 Ralts(EM cause I dont know what DS one does)
3 Kirlia(EM..Same as Ralts)
3 Grady"D"
1 Gardy(EM)
3 Pidgey
2 Pidgeotto
3 Pidgeot

Trainers:27
4 TVR
3 Stevens
4 RC
4 Celios
4 Great Balls
3 Briney
3 Magnetic Storms
2 Stength Charm

Energy:14
10 Psychic
4 MEtal

Now,I know I wont get much Creativity...but this actually has a strat besides Swarm...(Well..Sorta)What you do..Is you hope to ahve 3 Gardy"D" out..Gardy EM is to keep it from Dieing...When Gardy"d" is almost dead..you can use Energy Jump(Gardys Power) to Move ALL three energy to another gardy...Then Briney!Thus giving yers, a swarm effect...but very effective.."

-Dendrobatida-

Deck (6/10): This is a good list, but seems kinda weak in a variety of areas. First, you seem to have no real good starter other than Zapdos, and starting with him doesn't seem as common as it should. A huge, huge thing that I'm not too fond of is that you play no card to get out your magcargo quickly, which is vital to maintaining consistency. You don't have enough draw/serach to make your machine run as cleanly as you'd like (12 total, including lanette, which somewhat replaces your starter).

Creativity (4/5): Very clever, unique, and new idea for this Gardevoir Delta! Not only do you abuse an underrated card from the new set, but an underrated card from a one-year old set, as well. Many cool concepts going on here.

Card Use (3/5): You certainly abuse this Gardevoir well. However, more usage of the 2nd attack, as well as the power, would have been nice to see. First attack abuse is very solid, though, and creates a very cool theme.

OVERALL: 13/20

-Ruler of Ice-

Deck (7/10): Pretty nice decklist here. However, you only have seven basics (this is somewhat solved by great ball), and play, in my opinion, one too few gyms (your ENTIRE deck gets shut down by battle frontier...remember this!). The decklist lacks much real versatility, other than the brineys...

Creativity (2/5): Meh, you're right. I don't see much creativity in this. However, there are a few creative concepts, so congratulations on those.

Card Use (2/5): While you don't particularly compliment either attack, you do an okay job bringing out the power.

OVERALL: 11/20

I vote for: DENDROBATIDA!!!

Dendrobatida

Deck 7/10: Two major weaknesses. You cannot have 5 Gardys, even if 3 are from DS, and
two are from EM. And that Magcargo is gonna float around in your deck on it's own w/o
celio's to help it out... Other than that I really dig the idea. It's obviously given a
great deal of though, and it might be fun to play (which sometimes with these Iron Chef
cards is all we can hope for...)

Creativity 3/5: Cool match between Rocket's Zapdos ex and Gardy.

Card use 4/5: Definately a central piece of the deck. And also bonus is given when all
possibilities with the chosen card is adressed, even if the energies you have won't permit
that last attack to a big extent.

OVERALL: 14/20

Ruler of Ice:

Deck 6/10: Since you can't operate this deck like a Queendom deck (candy-grass-poison), I
would have preferred a good starter pokemon, allowing you to build behind it's back.
Having Ralts/Kirlia out there just to gather damage for Gardys first attack is just
too risky. You're going for abusing it's power, which is cool, but I'm not too sure
about the power of the deck..

Creativity 2/5: You said it yourself..

Card use 3/5: Solid enough.

OVERALL: 11/20

My vote: Dendrobatida

Last edited:
Thanks, folks....in my defense, we were given the assignment prior to the ruling that Delta species pokemon counted as regular pokemon, rather than as something with a trainer in its name (for example). And patriarch....12 draw cards? DUUUUDE, YOU FORGOT AIPOM!

Also, interestingly, after being the overall #1 seed, I think I'm the only competitor left in the tournament who hasn't had an opponent fail to turn in a deck or get banned...Ain't the #1 seed supposed to get a bye or something at some point? :p

Addendum: Yup. Just checked. No matter what the results of the other sweet sixteen games are, I'm the only player who has faced an opponent in every round...gettin' exhausting!

GG Dendro!I did better then i thought i would, and it was a much closer match then i had expected!I want to thank Patriarch for doing this again!GJ at running this very Efficeintly(SP?)GL to you Dendro(Kick some butt!)

Dendrobatida said:
Addendum: Yup. Just checked. No matter what the results of the other sweet sixteen games are, I'm the only player who has faced an opponent in every round...gettin' exhausting!

I have too, Dendro...

I am going to do what may seem to be an inconsistency with the ruling made on Choke Artist's deck entry, but here's my word on Dendrobatida's illegal deck. I will let Dendro go on for the following reasons:

-The biggest: His ingredient was issued before we even knew if Delta Species was a whole new name (Rainbow is obviously illegal).

-His ingredient was issued long before the first prerelease, and he turned in three days before the first one, held October 22nd (Rainbow may either never be legal again, or show up in February).

-His deck was judged to be superior over Ruler of Ice's unanimously; the 5th gardevoir did not make much difference at all (Choke Artist vs Whicker was close), and did not stop our one judge that pointed it out from voting for him.

The contentions are listed, and I think they're all pretty solid. I take the fall for issuing cards that were not even out yet, but that's okay. Considering that we encountered only one problem, that's impressive! Time to move onto the next round, guys.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back