Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Swiss +1 (or +N) for Juniors & Seniors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAndrewT

At many tournaments this year, and especially at the recent City Championship marathons, Masters' attendance has been *much* higher than Juniors' and Seniors'. That has meant that Juniors & Seniors are typically done hours before the Masters. It also means that Juniors & Seniors have fewer opportunities (relative to Masters) to play games that count towards their ratings at these tourneys. The Juniors & Seniors I've spoken with have fun afterwards anyway, playing pickup games and trading. But it might be nice to give them the opportunity to play more games that "count".

How do you all--players and TO's--feel about this? Do TO's currently have the option of running more Swiss rounds than are needed to determine an undefeated winner? If they don't, should they? If they do, should they add rounds? Would it be unfair to other Junior and Senior players that have TO's that don't follow this practice?

Not a bad idea at all. Quite often in tournaments I'll play in, Masters have 5 rounds, but Juniors only have 3. That ends up being a problem when the parents are playing in Masters. Even when that isn't the case, it's just kinda sad to see that the Juniors/Seniors don't get to play nearly as many games. At least adding the option for them to have an extra swiss round would be fantastic.

Can we get any seasoned TO's to chime in here?

(I believe the Tournament Operations Manager software allows for Swiss-1 under certain circumstances, but I haven't heard of the opposite.)

I remember talking to PeteD (TPCi rep) a few years ago about swiss+1 and he emphatically stated the desire for a minimal number of swiss rounds and no more (1 undefeated player). However, I can definately see situations like those stated by the topic-starter where swiss+1 could be used to reduce/eliminate the time difference between playoff start times for the different age divisions.

Also, I don't believe TO's are allowed to do swiss-1 for premier events, except pre-releases, correct? If so, if swiss+1 was implemented in the tournament software, I'm wondering if TPCi would even allow that for premier/championship events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back