Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

T32 Indiana Reg's with Ninja DragonBOOM (or Corsemega) + List

vegitalian

So after a long while of going back and forth on my plans to go to Indiana or New England Regionals, a last minute opportunity comes up for me to go to Indiana on Friday (sorry Kent and Simon). I meet up Saturday morning with the Lesages (+ Cam), Marvin (+ kids), Matt Koo, Curtis, David-John, the entire Grimsby league, Andrew, and a few others.

Through BR's I've tested a few decks. I ran Reshiphlosion/Kingdra at Worlds, and after that experience, I decided never again will I run a deck as boring and as auto-play at a tournament. ZPST and Reshiphlosion are both solid top-tier decks, don't get me wrong, but it's just not my style. Gothitelle is a neat deck, with a lot of strategy in setup and deckbuilding skill requirements, but I wouldn't play it because it is a hideous looking Pokemon. Seriously, I can barely stand to look at it upside-down - forget right-side up. I liked Stage 1's with Beartic a lot (Yanmega/Zoroark/Noctowl/Beartic). It was pretty good, and fun to play.

Through BR's I ran Horsemega/Gliscor (or 'Corsemega') at a few events, and got 3 CPs out of it. Ninja Fang is crazy fun, and brings either risk or reward to the table. With Kingdra to spray splash benched Pokemon while you paralyze, it can put you in an advantageous position. Also, it falls within the '1 retreat or less' requirement I have for the deck, which saves me from running Switch. I decide to go with it (list at the end).

Game 1 vs. ZPST
I go second. He starts off with a single attachment, and I get a decent enough setup (with 2 benched Gligars). I get paralyzes off, and 2HKO his Zekroms (he whiffs on SSU flips). At one point I have 2 Kingdras, so I double Spray Splash and Poison Jab for an OHKO. I take my last prize while he has 3-4 left.
1-0

Game 2 vs. Yanmega/Magnezone
I go second. Luckily, I get the first Yanmega up, and take an early prize lead. Gliscor gets some KOs on Magnemites, and a Magnezone. He's stuck lost zoning energy for his KOs, and I end up winning the prize race by a few prizes.
2-0

Game 3 vs. Derrick w/ Ross (Donphan)
I go second. Derrick gets a playground in, which sets me up fairly well. I attach some energy and Eek (so that I'm not feeding him a prize). I get a Yanmega out and snipe his 'Solo'sis. He starts Earthquaking, which starts giving me free KOs (as he can't draw into his 3rd fighting energy). Between Spray Splashes and 3 Yanmegas I hit all 6 prizes before he draws any. Derrick was relatively new to the TCG - he played pretty well for what he had and was a super nice opponent. He ended up kicking butt in the VGC the next day.
3-0

Game 4 vs. Kyle 'Pooka' Sucevich w/ Reshiphlosion
I go first. My opening hand doesn't look too good with just a Yanma start and Yanmega/Kingdra/Rare Candy/Juniper in my hand. Kyle uses Playground the next turn, which allows me to get a T2 Yanmega/Kingdra out with Catcher. Almost every turn I take one of his Cyndaquils/Quilavas (leaving the one Typhlosion he has up until the rest of the board is swept) - meanwhile we're trading prizes. For my last prize, I'm out of Yanmegas, so I double spray splash + ninja fang his Reshiram with 40 damage on it already. He takes his 4th prize, and I throw Rainbow on Kingdra for the game.
4-0

Game 5 vs. Clinton w/ ZPST
I go second. We have somewhat of a game - I take 3 prizes, but he keeps owning me with Zekrom and Tornadus. He flips 2 heads on SSU the two times I Ninja Fang a fresh Zekrom. He played it well.
4-1

Game 6 vs. Graham Poteet w/ Reshiphlosion
I go second. Graham hits a Supporter drought, and even though I set up second, I get my stuff up before he can draw into his. I end up taking 6 prizes to his 1 due to bad draws on his end.
5-1

Game 7 vs. Matt Koo w/ Machamp Lock
I go second (up to this point both Matt and I had gone first once each). Matt and I are both from Ontario, and I have a long history of losing to him (I think I only beat him when he ran Pluff). He plays the deck flawlessly, and I only end up taking 2 prizes before he sets up a trillion beefy Pokemon that eat Dragonflies, Scorpions, and Seahorses for breakfast.
5-2

Game 8 vs. Zach Lesage w/ Yanmega/Magnezone
I go first. This is what I had hoped wouldn't happen - another Ontario player, and a good one. At this point, only one of us is getting in. I get setup before he does (he whiffs on a Supporter turn 1), and deny him Magnezones before he can set them up. He gets rid of some of my bench sitters, but I take my 6 prizes fairly quickly.
6-2

Top 32 vs. Cody Badgley w/ ZPST
Game 1:
I go first. My two Gligars are prized. I get owned, and scoop.
Game 2:
I go first. My two Gligars aren't prized. I get owned by SSU flips, and scoop.
6-3

So that's it - T32 at Indiana Regionals. I was hoping to take this deck further - the deck itself has potential to win assuming it can dodge ZPS', but people always go with what they're comfortable with. If you do want to try the deck out, here's the list:

4-4 Yanmega
2-2 Gliscor
3-2-3 Kingdra
2 Jirachi
1 Cleffa

3 Judge
3 Copycat
4 Prof. Juniper
4 Pokemon Collector
4 Pokemon Communication
4 Pokemon Catcher
2 Junk Arm
2 Pokegear
2 Rare Candy

3 Psychic
4 Rainbow
2 Rescue

I play the VGC the next day with a Singles team (stupid me didn't ask to see if it was Doubles). It's Doubles, so I go 3-4. It's even funnier, because I thought it was 50 All, but my Whimsicott stayed at Level 33... and it was the only thing keeping me in the games (though my Ferrothorn annoyed a few people). I get a 2nd Shelmet Promo - YAY

Props:
-Marcel for going 6-2 (it sucks that you got 33rd, but that was a solid performance)
-Matt Koo, David-John, Andrew, and the lil dude from Grimsby for representing us well
-Curtis and Bidier for repping Champ
-Marvin for taking the crew down
-Chance (and his mom), Jim, A.J., Derek, Carl, and the rest of the Ohio crew
-Derrick (my round 3 opponent) for showing true Spiritomb of the game
-The rest of my opponents
-Zach, Jacob, Cam, Marcel, and Rob for keeping bright spirits in the middle of a recession
-Level 33 Whimsicott
-The entire Grimsby league - you guys rock!
-Vanilla Coke
-Gliscor, for being one of the most underrated cards in the format right now
-Pooka and Graham to be the only opponents (out of 20 or so) that didn't have to read Gliscor
-Dustin for being undefeated in swiss and T8'ing with a rogue

Slops:
-ZPST, but not the players playing them (my 3 ZPST opponents were all really cool)
-7 hour drive

Last edited:
I love that deck w/ Gliscor, and I ALWAYS wanted to find a place for that card and i'm glad you did, it's too bad you had to play against ZPST a lot.

Hopefully i'll get to cya @ OH states(and maybe others since there is like 3 weekends this year)

Wish, I could have given you a better game there, was fun though.

Congrats on top 32, looks like bad luck picked the wrong time to kick in.

Gliscor is awesome.

Back