Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Taxes!

Moss Factor

Its not April, but we can still discuss them! How do you guys feel about taxes? What should your government's policy be? Consumption, income, regressive, progressive, flat? More taxes? Less taxes? Are estate taxes (death taxes) ethical or should they be repealed? What about taxes on dividends, savings, and capital gains?

If you could write the tax code, how would you construct it for your country? (EDIT: Make sure you say why!!!)

i wish there was less for kid and more for adults and why do i at the age of 17 have to pay for social sicurity when i am not even going to get any of it FTW i think it is not fair.

I don't pay taxes, and I am happy. When people pay taxes, they are said.

Yes, I am the secret Identity of Mr. Obvious.

Usually I'm not so blunt. Matt you've seen some of my posts, but taxes SUCK.

Less taxes overall. If the government cut so much of its WASTE, and focused more on improving the system, then we'd all be better off. But no, they have to spend millions on studies into fly's mating rituals and courses in ebonics (exagerrations but you guys get the point ;/)

Flat taxes are much better, because they create a truly fair standard for society. While the $100,000-billion dollar earners may have more money to spend, it's obvious that the % on them is way too tilted. Why should a person work their way up from the gutter into the top...only to have it all siphoned away to inefficient programs in the government that indirectly caused them to be born into a bad spot to begin with?

Consumption taxes are bearable, yet kind of a sting every time you get in line at Taco Bell or buy some drinks at the gas station. A bunch of little stings leave a lot of wounds over time, and over the years those tiny bits of cash will add up into a giant pot of money you've given to the feds.

Income taxes are a crooked process brought about by FDR to "temporarily" suck us dry...and yet after the depression and WWII we still see it. The ultimate example of why we should never vote "yes" for ANY tax: because it just won't go away (at least for many years)! Case in point are toll booths in DFW: 30-some years ago they were built there to only "temporarily" pay for the roads being built, and now that they are built, there is no reason for them to be there (not even maintenance of said roads). These toll booth taxes are going towards ridiculous things such as debates in the city council about butt crack (no joke)!

When people tell me we have to have these high taxes to get rid of the debt we owe to our own citizens and countries abroad, I just tell them some of the things that I mentioned here. Government waste is like a cancerous legion: you may just blame your poor health (high taxes; high debt) on something else, but the real problem is steadily growing just beneath the radar.

Last edited:
Moss Factor said:
If you could write the tax code, how would you construct it for your country?
There would be no tax code. If the services the government offers really are good, it shouldn't have to force people to pay for them.

Any time someone takes money by force, it is simply a redirection of wealth to a less deserving cause. If government was truly worthy of people's money, it wouldn't have to force people to give it money.

I win the award for shortest answer to the tax code problem. Now that's how you simplify the tax code!:tongue:

Tighter restrictions on tax money such that they're going for what the govenment really says they're going for. Things like education, health care, etc. Taxes proportionate to income more, such that the upper class pays proportionately as much as the lower classes. Tax breaks for the poor so that they don't have to worry so much while trying to establish themselves. Higher penalties for tax evasion.

That's about it in short form, I guess.

ninetales1234 said:
There would be no tax code. If the services the government offers really are good, it shouldn't have to force people to pay for them.

Any time someone takes money by force, it is simply a redirection of wealth to a less deserving cause. If government was truly worthy of people's money, it wouldn't have to force people to give it money.

I win the award for shortest answer to the tax code problem. Now that's how you simplify the tax code!:tongue:

You must be joking. How much of the population would pay their taxes if there were no penalty for tax evasion? Answer: a much, much smaller percentage than that which currently does pay. I don't care what your political party is, or how conservative or liberal you are, or what your freaking birthday is - the vast majority of people want more money in their pockets. And the quickest way to accomplish that is to reduce taxes, or, for the purposes of this argument, not have to pay them.

But that's absolutely ridiculous. Taxes have to be mandated by some form of government. There have to be tax codes that are incomprehensible to the average American citizen, and penalties for evasion, and all that fun stuff. Nobody is going to pay otherwise (and by nobody, I mean far less people than those who currently do pay, so I don't get nailed for that later).

Also, what is "Any time someone takes money by force, it is simply a redirection of wealth to a less deserving cause" supposed to mean? That makes zero sense. If someone takes money by force (that is, the person whose money is being taken is an unwilling participant in the transaction), than the person whose money is being taken probably views it as "a redirection of wealth to a less deserving cause." But how can you, the average, non-office-holding American citizen, decide what cause is more deserving than any other cause?

As best put by Benjamin Franklin (not quoted exactly, but you'll get the point):

There are two things certain in life: Death and Taxes.

And what doesn't help the situation is all of the Government bureaucracy. When they don't spend all of the money in their budget, they loose that money the next time they come up for budget renewal. So really, they want to spend all of their budget and then some, so they get more money to work with. They SHOULD be praised for coming in under budget, but it is in fact vice-versa.

I read an article about a Congressman or Senator(not sure which) who suggested that ALL taxes be removed and a 23% sales tax put in place. Now just think about that for a second. No one could ever evade their taxes again, plus, illegal immigrants who don't show up on tax brackets would still be supporting the country the are living in. Given, you would be annoyed everytime you bought anything, but you could limit the amount of taxes by limiting spending on superfluous items.

Now don't bash me because I am in no means supporting this, but I thought that it was a radical idea that deserved contemplation.

Taxation is bad... its just better than the alternatives.

The 'fairest' system will be the most complex, have the most beaurocracy, and cost the most. Thus the fairest system is also unfair.

It is not possible to view high taxes or low taxes as inherently good or desireable. The reality is that the taxation system gives you a hint as to what values individuals place upon their society.

SuperWooper said:
But how can you, the average, non-office-holding American citizen, decide what cause is more deserving than any other cause?
An excellent point! Furthermore, how can an office-holding American citizen determine which causes are more deserving than others? Or maybe, why should we leave it to the government to fight these causes in the first place? The answer: we don't. We do not need to fund anything other than national defense and the courts; defense to protect our tangible assets and the courts to protect our nontangibles. The government is not needed for anything else!

What kind of tax system do I suggest? The smallest one possible! Flat as they come and minimal as you can get it; nothing at all would be best.

Back