Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

TCGWars: Pokemon TCG Simulator

axpendix

Hello everyone, I'm a pokemon trading card game fan and I have decided to make a electronic version of this great game.
I have examined other tcg simulators (Redshark and apprentice) and I have concluded that the community needs a game that can implement the rules of the game and the actions of the cards, like the tcg games that have been released to gameboy by nintendo. Some properties of my program at the moment is:
  • Ability to implement the rules of the game, no need for any external intervention to imply the ruling. (All effects of cards, powers, bodies, trainers, energies and all rules)
  • Showing the real card images rather than card texts.
  • Easy to use interface
  • Written in Java language, swing package.
  • Game types: two player on the same computer (or solo).
  • Deck builder
Future versions of the program will consist of:
  • Two player with network communication game type.
  • Implementation on a web site(hopefully by a help of a fan site) allowing the players to connect to the server, see the available player list and declare a challenge then play. By other means, an online pokemon tcg game, based on this project.
  • And any other feature you people will suggest! Even the name of the project is changeable!
At the moment, I have started the implementation with the base set cards. I will then move on to (respectively) jungle, fossil, expedition, skyridge, aquapolis, team rocket, neo series(4) sets. After these, before I begin the ex series, I will consider making this game online. Please do not ask me why I'm planning to do like that, I think the old sets are promising more strategic play rather than the new series. Because every move of every card must be implemented correctly, the process takes longer, but more promising.
This is an one-man-project at the moment. I havent thought about splitting the work with some programmer-fans like me. Sharing the source code is a big thing for me, and I am a bit skeptical about this issue. Things can change, though.

Here are some screenshots.
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/4821/94511902.png
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/5199/60360312.png
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/8629/61482284.png

Here is the demo video:
http://tcgwars.6te.net/tcgdemo1.htm

I need your comments but please think this game with base set cards at the moment. So no comments like "there is no stadium card place".

08.10.2009 Update: The project is going on, but recenly I have been lazy because of summer holiday. Now I have done some changes on the implementation, and developed a new module that is used to add card entries to the program. So, I need some people (2-3 will be enough I think) to enter the card information to the system using the special module I developed. Proper documentation and information will be provided for this job. So I need voluntary people who is careful and smart. The workload will be very little since entering a card takes approximately 1 minutes. These people could also help me to organize the card image files for me, taking part in other little jobs. First task is to enter the base set cards.
Here's what card adding screen looks like:
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/5955/cl...e002ve.jpg

18.11.2010 Update: The project has been on hold for the last year unfortunately. It is very challenging to implement this because of the complexity of the game. However I will try to find some people to help me, because it is too much for a one-man project. I am sorry to disappoint you in the first place and thank you for supporting me.
P.S: serious developers can contact me for this matter. it is a possibility that the project will be converted to adobe flex platform.

Last edited:
I think this is a great step forward. Being able to "see" the cards at a glance makes it much more realistic. Hope your idea goes forward

If you thought about it, you really won't pick up a lot of users for this until you start on the DP-on series. I'm pretty sure that a major percentage of the people who use Redshark use it for testing deck ideas on a wider variety of people. You would have users, though since there are people who play for nostalgia.

This is a really good idea, though, and it could outshine things like Redshark eventually, if you make the game aware of the rules of the game.

Oh, and there's no stadium spot. :smile:

EDIT: Actually, for you may start picking up users around Neo sometime. A lot of people play unlimited.

Last edited:
I really like this idea we should give him a lot of support on this project Pokemon has really been missing a program like this and i would love to see this thing linked to the gym for online play

:thumb::metal::lightning:dark::thumb:

I have been waiting for this for 3 years. It's kind of like the old CD-rom where you could play with Base Set cards. It looks amazing, and I'll help you however I can.

Thanks for your immediate attention :smile:

The project is in before-alpha stage at the moment. I'm planning to make it to the alpha stage in 2-3 weeks. I will then publish the alpha version of the game for the community to test & analyze & find bugs

I will also post a 9-10 minute demo video in 2-3 days.

Best of luck, and I hope you have heroic diligence. You'll need it for something like this.

I'll add to the congratulations. It looks like a lot of effort has already gone into this!

Couple of questions/suggestions

- [DEL]How exactly are the rulings automatically implemented? From the screenshots, it's not obvious where you would select the attack you wanted for instance[/DEL] Maybe the buttons at the buttom can be more prominent, or dynamic, so the buttons actually display the name of the Power/Body/Attack?

- This can turn from good to amazing simply with a more friendly, colourful UI...

Seriously, well done on this - I really hope you have the time to take it all the way through

This is the best idea for pokemon gaming online I have ever heard of. If you need help, just pm me and I will probably be able to help you.

I'll add to the congratulations. It looks like a lot of effort has already gone into this!

Couple of questions/suggestions

- [DEL]How exactly are the rulings automatically implemented? From the screenshots, it's not obvious where you would select the attack you wanted for instance[/DEL] Maybe the buttons at the buttom can be more prominent, or dynamic, so the buttons actually display the name of the Power/Body/Attack?

- This can turn from good to amazing simply with a more friendly, colourful UI...

Seriously, well done on this - I really hope you have the time to take it all the way through

You will get the answers to these questions when the demo video is posted:smile:

But let me enlighten you on some points. When attack button is pressed, a dialog screen with a drop-down box shows up, and you select the attack. If enough energy is present on your pokemon, the attack is done and first any effect of the attack is applied(flip a coin if heads bla bla, the program flips the coin for you) then damage is calculated (with weakness&resistence) and the damage is done. If defending pokemon has equal or higher damage than its hp, it is moved to the discard pile and the attacker draws a prize, then defender selects a new pokemon etc. If the attacker hasn't got enough energy cards, program displays a warning and doesn't initiate the attack sequence. And also if your pokemon is paralyzed or asleep, the program wont allow attack either:) All of these actions and rulings has been completed at the moment.

So the buttons are static but if you click them a popup dialog appears and lets you select the attack or power you want. The information on the popup dialog changes only.

For the UI, this version is fine and basic, and this is the nearly best thing that swing offers (maybe some little animations can be added for the swing, but the main object must be to implement the game correctly at the moment), but in the future, when the project will transform to an online game, other ui technologies can be applied to make a more colorful ui.

Last edited:
This looks great for a very VERY early stage of the program. I'm definitely willing to download the alpha and try to offer any suggestions and bring to light found bugs.

My only concern is whether there might be any legal issues over usage of those card images...Hopefully there's not a Cease & Desist in the future.

Well, unless he's making cash off of it, I wouldn't think it would be illegal to use the images for fun.

Cant WAIT to try this out!

This looks great for a very VERY early stage of the program. I'm definitely willing to download the alpha and try to offer any suggestions and bring to light found bugs.

My only concern is whether there might be any legal issues over usage of those card images...Hopefully there's not a Cease & Desist in the future.

Thanks for your interest :)

I also thought about this issue, before I publish a real complete version of this game, I am thinking of sharing my ideas with nintendo, but there's a long way to get there.

:eek: This is a good point...

The game is an offline game at the moment, so as long as it stays so, it will be no problem. If everything goes well and the stage where the game will be online comes, the card images can be removed from the game. It's not a big deal in my opinion.

Ok, that looks fantastic, especially the way it won't let you break the rules.

I would definitely use this a lot. Thanks for doing it!

Back