Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Team Magma vs. Team Aqua

Just felt like making some generation III cards.

Trainer - Item - Red Orb

Search your deck for a :fighting: energy card or a basic :dark: energy card, reveal it, and add it to your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.

If this card is in your discard pile at the beginning of your turn, you may choose not to draw a card. If you do, put this card from your discard pile into your hand.

Trainer - Item - Blue Orb

Search your deck for a :water: energy card or a basic :dark: energy card, reveal it, and add it to your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.

If this card is in your discard pile at the beginning of your turn, you may choose not to draw a card. If you do, put this card from your discard pile into your hand.

Mightyena - Stage 1 - Evolves from Poochyena - :dark: - 80 HP

"It chases down prey in a pack. It will never disobey the commands of a skilled Trainer."
Mightyena is on the right of the card, facing the left, crouched forward, ready to pounce. Go and look at Ninetales ex . See the eye effect in the background? On this card, a faint close-up of Mightyena's head is in the background, close to the real thing.

Ability - Nasty Plot
Once during your turn, when you play Mightyena from your hand to evolve one of your Pokémon, you may search your deck for an Item card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards.

:dark::colorless: - Mob Psychology - 10+
This attack does 20 more damage for each of your opponent's Benched Pokémon.

Weakness :fighting:x2 - Resistance :psychic:-20 - Retreat
Poochyena - Basic Pokémon - :dark: - 50 HP

"A Pokémon with a persistent nature, it chases its chosen prey until the prey becomes exhausted."
Poochyena is standing on a rock, towling toward the moon on a clear night.

:colorless: - Call for Family
Search your deck for 2 basic Pokémon, reveal them, and put them on your Bench. Shuffle your deck afterward.

:dark: - Shadow Rise
Search your deck for an Evolution card, reveal it, and add it to your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.

Weakness :fighting:x2 - Resistance :psychic:-20 - Retreat :colorless:

Sharpedo - Stage 1 - Evolves from Carvanha - :water: - 90 HP

"Its fangs rip through sheet iron. It swims at 75 mph and is known as 'The Bully of the Sea.'"
Sharpedo is rushing toward the camera with it's jaws open, ready to crush anything in its way.

:water::colorless: - Aqua Jet - 30
This attack does 20 damage to one of your opponent's Benched Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)

:dark::colorless::colorless: - Crunch - 50
Before doing damage, discard all Special Energy cards attached to the Defending Pokémon

Weakness :grass:x2 - Resistance - Retreat :colorless:

Carvanha - Basic - :water: - 50 HP

"They swarm any foe that invades their territory. Their sharp fangs can tear out boat hulls."
The scene is a river, with a Houndoom standing on a rock in the middle. A school of 4 Carvanha is jumping out of the water, leaping at the Houndoom.

:colorless: - Gang Up
Search your deck for a Basic Pokémon and put it onto your Bench. If you do, you may switch Carvahna with one of your Benched Pokémon. Shuffle your deck afterward.

:dark: - Beat Down - 10x
This attack does 10 damage for each Carvanha in play (both yours and your opponent's).

Weakness :grass:x2 - Resistance - Retreat

Houndoom - Stage 1 - Evolves from Houndour - :fire: - 90 HP

"The flames it breathes when angry contain toxins. If they cause a burn, it will hurt forever."
Houndoom is facing the camera, breathing black fire, which takes up most of the picture.

:dark: - Cursed Flame
Discard the top 4 cards of your opponent's deck.

:dark::colorless: - Midnight Embers - 20
The Defending Pokémon is now Burned and Asleep.

Houndour - Basic - :fire: - 50 HP

"It is smart enough to hunt in packs. It uses a variety of cries for communicating with others."
A group of Houndour is facing a Sharpedo at the water's edge, breathing fire at their opponent. Of course, Sharpedo is in the water and the pack is out of it.

:colorless: - Roar
Your opponent switches the Defending Pokémon with one of his or her Benched Pokémon.

:dark: - Tear Away - 10
Before doing damage, if the Defending Pokémon has no damage counters on it, discard the top 3 cards of your opponent's deck.

Cacturne - Stage 1 - Evolves from Cacnea - :grass: - 80 HP

"It becomes active at night, seeking prey that is exhausted from the day's desert heat."
Cacturne is in the desert, fighting a Claydol. Cacturne's arm is glowing white, in preparation for Needle Arm.

:dark: - Sucker Punch
Choose one of your opponent's Pokémon with any Energy cards attached to it. This attack does 40 damage to that Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.

:dark::colorless::colorless: - Needle Arm - 50
If the Defending Pokémon has any damage counters on it, this attack's base damage is 80.

Weakness :fire:x2 - Resistance :water:-20 - Retreat :colorless::colorless:

Cacnea - Basic - :grass: - 50 HP

"By storing water in its body, this desert dweller can survive for 30 days without water."
Good old Ken Sugimori art in front of a desert scene.

Ability - Poison Payback
If this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon and is damaged by your opponent's Active Pokémon's attack, the Attacking Pokémon is now poisoned.

:colorless: Ingrain
Attach an Energy card from your discard pile to Cacnea. Your opponent may attach an Energy card from his or her discard pile to one of his or her Benched Pokémon.

Weakness :fire:x2 - Resistance :water:-20 - Retreat :colorless:

Claydol - Stage 1 - Evolves from Baltoy - :psychic: - 80 HP

"An ancient clay figurine that came to life as a Pokémon from exposure to a mysterious ray of light."
Desert scene again, Claydol vs. Cacturne. Claydol is unleashing a Hyper Beam at Cacturne.

Ability - Type Shift
Once during your turn, before your attack, you may treat this Pokémon's type as :fighting:.

:fighting::fighting::colorless: Hyper Beam 50
Discard as many energy cards as you like attached to this Pokémon. If you do, discard 2 cards from the top of your opponent's deck for each energy you discarded.

Weakness :psychic:x2 - Resistance - Retreat :colorless::colorless:

Baltoy - Basic - :psychic: - 50 HP

"It moves by spinning on its foot. It is a rare Pokémon that was discovered in ancient ruins."
Good old Ken Sugimori art in front of a desert scene.

:colorless: - Future Sight
Look at the top 5 cards of your deck and put them back in any order.

:fighting: - Rapid Spin - 20
You may switch this Pokémon with one of your Benched Pokémon.

Weakness :psychic:x2 - Resistance - Retreat :colorless:

Walrein - Stage 2 - Evolves from Sealeo - :water: - 140 HP

"It shatters ice with its big tusks. Its thick blubber repels not only the cold, but also enemy attacks."
Picture designed by 5Ban Graphics with a light blue, snowy background.

Ability - Frost Breath
Once during your turn, before your attack, if Walrein is your Active Pokémon, place 2 damage counters on one of your opponent's Benched Pokémon.

:water::water: - Ice Ball - 40+
This attack does 10 more damage for each damage counter on the Defending Pokémon.

Weakness :metal:x2 - Resistance - Retreat :colorless::colorless::colorless:

Sealeo - Stage 1 - Evolves from Spheal - :water: - 90 HP

"It habitually spins things on its nose. By doing so, it learns textures and odors."
Sealeo is resting on an ice floe, spinning a Spheal on its nose.

:water::colorless: - Encore - 20
Choose 1 of the Defending Pokémon's attacks. During your opponent's next turn, that Pokémon can only use that attack.

:water::colorless::colorless: - Rushing Water - 60
Return an Energy card attached to this Pokémon to your hand.

Weakness :metal:x2 - Resistance - Retreat :colorless::colorless:

Spheal - Basic - :water: - 60 HP

"It rolls across ice floes to reach shore because its body is poorly shaped for swimming."
Like the 'dex entry says, Spheal is rolling across an ice floe.

:water: Splatter
Does 10 damage to one of your opponent's Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon

:water::water: - Water Gun - 30

Weakness :metal:x2 - Resistance - Retreat :colorless:

Aggron - Stage 2 - Evolves from Lairon - :metal: - 140 HP

"While seeking iron for food, it digs tunnels by breaking through bedrock with its steel horns."
Picture designed by 5Ban Graphics with a grey gradient background.

Ability - Bulldoze
Once during your turn, before your attack, if Aggron is your Active Pokémon, you may discard the top 3 cards of your opponent's deck.

:fighting::fighting: - Land Crush - 10x
Does 10 damage for each damage counter on this Pokémon. If the Defending Pokémon is Knocked Out by this attack, discard the top 3 cards of your opponenrt's deck.

Weakness :fire:x2 - Resistance :psychic:-20 - Retreat :colorless::colorless::colorless:

Lairon - Stage 1 - Evolves from Aron - :metal: - 90 HP

"For food, it digs up iron ore. It smashes its steely body against others to fight over territory."
Two Lairon are slamming into each other in full-body tackles.

:fighting::colorless: - Mudslap - 30

:fighting::colorless::colorless: - Heavy Slam - 70
Discard an Energy card attached to this Pokémon.

Weakness :fire:x2 - Resistance :psychic:-20 - Retreat :colorless::colorless:

Aron - Basic - :metal: - 60 HP

"It usually lives deep in mountains. However, hunger may drive it to eat railroad tracks and cars."
Aron is standing on old weathered train tracks eating them.

:fighting: - Mountain Eater
Discard the top card of your opponent's deck and remove 2 damage counters from this Pokémon.

:fighting::fighting: - Headbutt - 30

Weakness :fire:x2 - Resistance :psychic:-20 - Retreat :colorless:

Kyogre - Basic - :water: - 130 HP

"It is said to have widened the seas by causing downpours. It had been asleep in a marine trench."
Full art Kyogre facing right on a blue whirlpool background.

Ability - Floodgate
Reduce all damage by 50 and prevent all other effects from attacks from Stage 1 Pokémon done to this Pokémon.

:water::water::colorless: - Destructive Tsunami
This attack does 20 damage to each of your opponent's Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.) You may discard a Blue Orb from your hand. If you do, this attack also does 30 damage to one of your opponent's Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)

Weakness :lightning:x2 - Resistance - Retreat :colorless::colorless::colorless:

Groudon - Basic - :fighting: - 130 HP

"It had been asleep in underground magma ever since it fiercely fought Kyogre long ago."
Full art Groudon facing left on a red lava background.

Ability - Heat Barrier
Reduce all damage by 50 and prevent all other effects from attacks from Stage 1 Pokémon done to this Pokémon.

:fighting::fighting::colorless: - Volcano Stomp - 60+
You may discard a Red Orb from your hand. If you do, this attack does 20 more damage and discard the top 4 cards of your opponent's deck.

Weakness :grass:x2 - Resistance :lightning:-20 - Retreat :colorless::colorless::colorless:

Next up, more support cards. Comments, constructive criticism, and requests for specific Pokémon all welcome.

Last edited:
1st off, why do you say :fighting: Energy and basic :water: Energy? They're only basics anyway. The only time you need to say basic. 2nd, your wording is a bit confusing. I had to read it a Red Orb and Blue Orb 2-3 times to make sense of them. The wording's a bit off. Makes it sound like you aren't allowed to Draw a Card at the beginning of your turn, but I understand what you're really saying is that you put them back into your hand instead of Drawing.

I'd word it like this: "If this card is in your discard pile at the beginning of your turn, you may choose not to draw a card. If you do, put this card back into your hand."

Overall, I like their idea, but it's kinda risky giving up Drawing a Card at the beginning of your turn. But, the Blue Orb would make Feraligatr Decks more powerful. But there's also Vileplume that can block those cards. So there's lots of pluses but also lots of minuses for those cards

@Gallade I see your point, especially since I just realized I put Trainer instead of Item. I'm changing it to a coming into play ability that can search for any trainer (BW definition)

@ArceusRules [del]I did the basic energy bit of text to prepare for future cards that I am planning.[/del] Scrapping the special energy idea, editing the card. Your wording is clearer than mine, so I'm using it, just minorly tweaked to be closer to a real card.

Thank you both for your comments.

EDIT: I added more cards. As always, input is welcome.

Last edited:
How does it work every turn? Unless you use Seeker and SSU over and over, but really, who would spend that many resources on just getting trainers and how would that break the game? Please explain.

Last edited:
Its still too OP, once a turn, you get a trainer.

How are the Items overpowered? All you get is a free energy a turn that may be useful but not likely. It's worse than topdecking Juniper. I think it's balanced even though it is a plus 1 but topdecking Juniper with no
hand is better.

He was talking about Mightyena, although claiming that the new text is broken doesn't make sense to me either.

Update: Added Houndoom
I was going to do Cacturne next, but apparently, Cacturne was one of Team Aqua's Pokémon in the original set, so i wanted to make one of Team Magma's Pokémon instead, to keep the balance even.

Update: Added Cacturne
Claydol is next.

Last edited:
o. :l Sorry I thought he was talking about the orbs. Mightyena isn't too powerful. It would be if we
still had the old Trainer rule.

@Pmysterious
Which trainer rule?

@gallade
That's pretty much what you said last time. Did you read the card? Now, it grabs an item, a supporter, or a stadium, when it is put into play. Could you please tell me how you could use that turn after turn without burning large resources, hurting consistancy, or taking up many bench spots?

@Anyone reading
Do you think it's broken?

Or like the bw rule which I said I'd use...
I guess I'll change it to item. That's what I meant it to grab in the first place, before my first edit.

EDIT: Added Walrein

Last edited:
Back