Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Techmaster's Top 8 GA States Report

Techmaster2kx

Friday: I get off work and go to over to my buddy Josiah to play some test games with my Dialga/Garchomp/Luxray build with switch as tech. I help my friend Patrick with his Gengar build and tech Machamp/Relicanth for his SP match-up, Help JJ with Donk-Phan. My friend James is Playing Gardy/Gallade/Dusknoir/Cressy X so I playtest with them and until this point, my deck has about a 87% win ratio going 26-4 out of 30 games so I am supremely confident in my build, big mistake..... I go 0-5 with the play-testing losing 3 to James drawing nothing and 2 to Patrick also drawing nothing leaving that night at 1 o'clock Sat morning I go back home shaking my head and trying to fix my problem..... I can't come up with anything because I can't fix what may not be broken and go to sleep....

Saturday: I go to pick up Patrick, JJ and James and head to the tournament. I meet up with John and Steve Silvestro, Peter Griffin, and Paarth Shah and even though I go 0-5 in testing, I am still pretty confident in my build (Dialga/Garchomp/Luxray) and make some last minute changes that prove to carry me through the tournament. I register right as the line closes and wait a few minutes with my anticipation building.....
There are a whopping 137 people with 68 people in the Masters and 7 Rounds with a Top 16 cut....

The Tournament Begins:

Rd 1: Techmaster (Marc P) vs. Paarth S. with Dialga/Chomp

I get a lone Garchomp start and get Donk'ed
0-1

I am pretty disappointed that I get donk'ed in Round 1 of the tournament and Peter Griffin gives words of encouragement that I should do fine....

Rd 2: Techmaster (Marc P) vs. Patrick P with Magnezone
This guy has the same last name as me and he is new to competitive play.
He opens Magnemite/Expert Belt why I don't know he gets Claydol but I am power spray loaded and Dialga G/LV.X/Expert Belt is too much for him and steamroll him. Nice guy though.
1-1

Lunch Break at Chick-Fil-A: I buy lunch for my bro who is 2-0, Paarth 2-0 and Peter Griffin 2-0

Rd 3: Techmaster (Marc P) vs. Jesse Hardy with Secret Deck Florida
He is a Nice guy playing with a secret deck that the Silvestros are playing as well.
He gets Sableye start and me with Ambipom G and Impersonate Galactic Wager.
I win the wager and draw 6 I get DCE with no supporters just plain garbage. I draw. Expert Belt! Attach, Belt, Ambidonk! Sorry dude he got sick, so I hope he feels better.
2-1
My Bro 3-0, Paarth 3-0, Peter Griffin 3-0 and Silvestros 3-0

Rd 4 Techmaster (Marc P) vs. Amanda with Magikarp ex aka Gyarados
I get Luxray with Lucario GL and She can't stop me
3-1

Rd 5 vs. Techmaster (Marc P.) vs Patrick R. With Lux-Chomp
He starts Unown G and even Shows me his hand Luxray LV.X, Garchomp LV.X, 2 DCE, 2 Power Spray, and Draws..... DCE! WOW! I have luxray and attach. Pass. He Draws..... Aaron's Collection! I Go Cyrus for Energy, Energy Gain, Cyrus, because Luxray X is prized. I Energy Gain and Trash Bolt Game. Sorry Patrick but he does make Top 16 Though.
4-1

My Bro and I at this point are 4-1 in the Master Divsion BTW. Paarth is 5-0, Peter Griffin is 5-0 and Both Silvestros are 4-1 I look at Rd 6 Pairings and I get John Silvestro. OMG

Rd 6 Techmaster (Marc P.) vs John Silvestro with Secret Deck Florida
My hand is trash and he has Sableye start I misplay that turns out to be a blessing in disguise as I bench Crobat G on the opening I have PromoCroak lead with Dialga G/ Crobat G benched to open because I have Power Spray, the Rest of my hand is Switch, Power Spray, Uxie LV. X and Another Dialga G. He Impersonates Cyrus' Initiative, 1 Heads. Sends Back Power Spray. I Draw, Attach DCE, and Pass. He Impersonates Pokemon Collector for Garchomps and Honchkrow. I Top Deck Cyrus OMG!
Cyrus Metal, Poketurn and Cyrus, Switch for Dialga G Attach, Poketurn Crobat G, Flash Bite Sableye, Second Strike, Dialga G. Game OMG The misplay of Benching Crobat G was a gamewinner because he surely would have take the Crobat if it was in my hand. Sorry John...
5-1

Final Rd Techmaster (Marc P) vs. ??? I forgot Name with Luxchomp
My Hand is Horrid and I lose Quickly
5-2

I wait for top cut, and both my Tie Breakers have records of 6-1 So I am confident of my Top Cut. There Are 10 SP Deck Varients, 1 Torterra, 3 Gengars, 1 Shuppet Donk and 1 Gyarados.

I am 9 Seed and Draw Peter Griffin.

Top 16 vs. Peter Griffin with Mother Gengar
Game 1: I Get going Fast but he make a Miracle comeback I had 1 prize left and I am unable to get the Garchomp LV.X to seal the deal and Mewtwo LV.X /Gengar LV.X kills my Dialga G/LV.X
Game 2: I Get off to fast Start again with Dialga G with 4 Special Metals + Expert Belt and I Roll Him 6 Prizes to None.
Game 3: I Get Luxray, Skuntank G to Lock Up his Claydol and Deafen it. sealing his draw power and the match for me.

Top 8 vs. Brad Curcio with Luxchomp
Game 1: Hand is GARBAGE. I Scoop.
Game 2: Cyrus/Dialga G/LV.X/4 Special Metals and He can't Stop Me. I 6-0 Him
Game 3: I Draw Nothing for 10 Turns as I am Playing down to him just to survive. No Supporters all Game and I watch as My State Championship aspirations for this year end.

I am in complete disbelief and very disappointed I lost in such a manner but I wish him good luck with Grace. Paarth Shah wins the GA States after a hard fought win over Reigning World Champion Steven Silvestro.

I will See You all at Regionals on April 17th!

Props To:
Paarth S. For winning GA States (Finally Someone from GA Takes it Home)
Peter Griffin for being a positive person no matter what the outcome and helping me keep my head up.
Dialga/Garchomp for Being So Pro.
John and Steve Silvestro for being not only great players, but Blessed people.
Steve again for telling the truth about LuxChomp (My Slops)

Slops To:
Myself for acting like a 2 year old and dropping my Deck and Packs.
Lux-Chomp for being an Obvious Deck with no real innovations.

Last edited:
Great job Marc!!

Its amazing how much weve all grown up since we met in 2001 lol!! You are indeed one of the nicest and friendliest people i have ever met playing this game and i hope that life continues to treat you well.

Steve

Thank You Steve, and may life and God continue to be a blessing to you as well. I am going to take your Dad up on his offer next year so I will be coming down for Cities and States next year in Florida. Take Care Man and If you are at Nationals hopefully I will see you there.

Marc

Marc, we go way back and it's been great to see you grow up into such a nice, responsible young man.

As for our game, I think if you don't drop the bat I get you as my hand was GOD, but it's all good bro'.

Sorry about your bad luck in finals, but nice showing regardless my friend.

Good luck with the baby and remember my offer- " mi casa is su casa"

Keep in touch my friend, and tell your sister Stevie and i said hey :)

John

Marc, thanks for the DCE you let me borrow. I thought I told you to take it easy on Peter Griffin LOL! Glad to see you did well even though you took out PG! Hope to see ya at Reg's

Back