Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

TFG: Success or Failure?

imho, it might be too soon to tell, but my first opinion is that it is a failure. There is no OP for the game. That right there will turn any good game into a failure. People buy the figures, they want to play with them against people, how do they find places to play? How do they find tournaments to play at? They don't. There aren't tournaments. There aren't "leagues" around the nation to play at. There is no OP for the game, and thus the game will continue to release new figures every now and then, and slowly disappear from the scene and nobody will notice.

Funny people think that in order for a game to be successful these days there has to be organized play and tournaments.

Most companies define success of a product by sales. if they sell X amount of product and generate Y amount of dollars, it is a success.

I was looking at some of the new CCG's that are being released these days. The companies releasing them have no plans for organized play. They are simply hoping they sell a decent amount of their "game" (that they have a relatively low production cost ) to make the company money. Milton Bradley does not release games in order to build a huge player base in organized play. Pokemon I am sure released the TFG to market to anyone who simply wants the figures and they might also enjoy playing a quick game.

Too. Soon. To. Tell.
It NEEDS to get an OP, and they need to actually release the full set of Groundbreakers (All that's out right now is the theme decks). But most importantly, it needs an OP.
I really have high hopes for it if it gets an OP.

I think it is a failure. (Imo)The TCG is just too big to have a figure game by it's side. I haven't played it much. It is fun, but it lacks the competitiveness that the TCG has so much of. I can't see it getting as big as the card game. It doesn't require much strategy or planning.

I don't think it's a failure, though I don't think it's a huge success. They have yet to release it in Japan as far as I know, and everyone has just been a test market for the game. I mean, I know personally between myself and 3 others we're probably invested at least 50 bucks a piece in if not more. I mean sure we got into it a bit late, but sales are sales. The greatest problem is stores like Toysrus ordered metric tons of the starters, but not getting enough variety in the boosters. They were one of the few stores to get the single boosters though, beyond KBToys.

i wouldnt mind my figures breaking, cause then you could glue them together and make SUPER pokemon!
i would have to say failure overall, but prolly to soon to tell.

What do you mean there's no OP. We integrated our tfg stuff with the tcg league, why aren't you guys doing the same?

Failure:
- No OP
- cheapy Figurines, some of them are broken in the pack
- poor advertizing
- figurines cost a lot
- no prize support (even naruto ccg has prize support)

Failure.

No communication about what is going on with the game.
refusal to support it - and that's not just no OP, but refusal of OP.
restrictive gameplay rules (very limited use of trainers, only 1 style of play area).

Prof Clay, Milton Bradley, and similar companies which don't establish player bases for their games, don't need to. Their games are staple games in homes. No home goes without a Monopoly, easy bake oven, Candyland, etc at some point in time or atleast have access to it. TCGs are not staple games in homes.

It doesn't have to be a failure...

The main problem I have with the TFG is that I can't count on anyone wanting to play it. And that's a problem with a lot of the TCG stuff as well, like 2-on-2 and 30 card decks. If more people played the TFG, it wouldn't be a problem. Everyone needs to stop waiting for it to become a success and make it a success.

Failure.

No communication about what is going on with the game.
refusal to support it - and that's not just no OP, but refusal of OP.
restrictive gameplay rules (very limited use of trainers, only 1 style of play area).

Prof Clay, Milton Bradley, and similar companies which don't establish player bases for their games, don't need to. Their games are staple games in homes. No home goes without a Monopoly, easy bake oven, Candyland, etc at some point in time or atleast have access to it. TCGs are not staple games in homes.

There are plenty of other examples of games that are released with no intent of having organized play. Heroscape comes to mind. The point of this product is to have something collectable that you can also play with. If you do not want to play the game, then you have cool figures.

Organized play actually takes money to run and a staff of people to keep up with it...which takes away from overall profits. I doubt this product was ever intended to have anything other than casual play

All the company has to do is show that the product is making the company a profit and then it is considered a SUCCESS!!. If sales go down, they will cease production and move on to the next new product.

I don't think it's a complete failure, but at the same time, there's not much success to it. The way the US boosters are set up...some people have multiple Lugias. The figures are absolutely beautiful though. I bought a few packs myself just to get the ones I wanted. I don't really play....but look at Pokemon TCG....there are many people who are just collectors.

I do not see it yet as a failure nor as a success. It has been out for nearly three months and has two playable sets. Give it a third set, heavy promotion, and additional players. If those areas are good, consider giving it tournament support. It is still early to tell.

Back