Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Thank you Pokemon U.S.A.

the_sniper

1st of all, in the 3 plus years i have read these boards i have started exactly ZERO threads. Not my thing. I'll reply when i feel the need ( or urge) but for the most part i'm more of an observer. But after this weekend , i have some things to say.

1st of all , to all of the people who wonder if P.U.S.A. and T.P.C. are doing enough for their customers you need not worry ( Prime comes to mind). These people worked non stop , day and night to put on what I would call - easily- the best Pokemon event ever! The prize support was just AMAZING!!! Having "trophy" cards depending on how you finished was something I ( and a lot of you out there) have been requesting for a long time. The efforts of EVERY person working and volunteering were excellent.
Personally , I can't thank you enough. After this weekend,if any of you have any doubts about their commitment to us ( their customers) then i don't know what to tell you.

As for the event, with the exception of about 15 minutes Sat. morning the main event was run great. A lot of very professional people stepped up and did what needed to be done. The level of competion from our friends across the Pacific was not only impressive it was amazing.It's their game , and we have a ways to go to catch up.Almost like they knew what to expect from us and did what was needed to counter it. Catching up on sets w/ them will help, but as a group they were just amazing players
who not only understand the essence of Pokemon but - more importantly- taught it to me.

A lot of you out there know me as an intense player ( not a bad thing) but the "spirit of the game" of Pokemon is soooo much more important than winning and losing . This weekend not only taught me this but it reminded me why i started playing with my son in the 1st place over 4 years ago. Saturday was stressful( going 3-3-1 will do that to you ) but i was 2 coin flips from going 5-2 ( honestly, lost 2 games because of it 6 prizes to 5).Still, those 2 flips ruined my day ( and any chance of making the top 32).
Sunday i played and traded with people from Japan, the U.K, and other places and had a blast. And this from a 38 year old grown man. What a great game!

The turn-out was just amazing.It has been all summer ( like 144 in the 15+ event at Nationals) . We are back- stronger than ever ! The #'s prove it . If the 15+ crowd had gotten the support it gets now back when you know who want all of us to go play m.t.g. then i believe things with Pokemon would have always been like this. Just look how players were dropping like flies last June. Nintendo said" be patient, we will get there" . I'd say they knew what they were talking about.

In closing , thanks to Dave Schwimmer, Pete DeShaw, all the P.U.S.A. staff, Sensei, Big Daddy Snorlax and EVERYONE else who gave so much of themselves and donated so much of their time judging and running all the side events. Without all of you this weekend would not have been the event it was to us - the players and customers. To the skeptics, learn to appreciate ALL that is being done for us .Criticize when it is just, but don't just sit and moan over trivial stuff.

And one more thing, let's get more support for our friends across the pond. Some of the BEST people i met this weekend came from there . They love and support Pokemon the same way we do. Imagine if they had something like Pokemon U.K. I bet the game would thrive over there the way it has here since the license transfered over to where it belongs.

I hope most of you who were there feel the same way. My friend "Krazie" called it "Pearl Harbor, 2004 Pokemon style" :). I guess from a U.S. players standpoint it was. But they did their homework and were the best players this weekend . I congratulate all of them.But next year -hopefully- all of us will be more prepared and not just Chris P. ( great accomplishment Chris) . I already look forward to Worlds, 2005!

Later.

-----THE SNIPER-----

Last edited by a moderator:
the_sniper said:
The turn-out was just amazing.It has been all summer ( like 144 in the 15+ event at Nationals) . We are back- stronger than ever ! The #'s prove it . If the 15+ crowd had gotten the support it gets now back when you know who want all of us to go play m.t.g. then i believe things with Pokemon would have always been like this. Just look how players were dropping like flies last June. Nintendo said" be patient, we will get there" . I'd say they knew what they were talking about.

-----THE SNIPER-----

As one of "the flies" who was ready to pack it in and go home about this time last year, I've got to echo that sentiment. The fact that 15+ regained it's place as a full fledged division immediately upon the transfer of the license pretty well confirms what Sniper and I suspected about WotC wanting to steer older players out of Pokemon and into Magic. I never did buy the "Japan is making us do it" line they hid behind.

I'll also second the exemplary fashion in which this tournament was run. My daughter snuck into the main event as the very last qualifier from the grinder in her age group. Even though she only won two games out of seven the next day, she was gushing about how much fun it was just to get the chance to play in Worlds. The very generous "kit" given to each participant was also very much appreciated.

So, thank you Nintendo. The future looks bright.

the_sniper said:

I myself was even surpised at the number of 15+ that was there for the Grinder Friday night. There as as many 15+ in the Grinder as there was the next day in Worlds.

The things that I enjoyed the most about this weekend at Worlds was that PUI give out Good Sportsman awards through out the main tournament to players in all of the age groups. Not only did they get a nice piece of paper that stated this, but they now get one free booster box of product of every new set for the next year. How cool is that :thumb:

WORLDS WAS AWESOME.

As for WotC saying that "the Japanese company wants to keep the game from becoming too competitive", we now see that for the blantant garbage it was. The Japanese players were tremendous competitors who did their homework and played with intensity. The Japanese Pokémon representatives and the Japanese spectators seemed to relish the high level competition.

A lot of people both inside and outside of WotC said "Pokémon will never be a real game like M:tG." This weekend sure proved otherwise.

Last edited:
A lot of people, myself included, were very concerned about the future of Pokemon when Nintendo took it back from WoTC.

After not just this weekend but this entire past year, it's obvious that this game is in GREAT hands.

What an amazing tournament it was.

(The league was really fun. It was good at Nationals and even better at Worlds!)

Best quote of the day - Dave Schwimmer at the deck check for the Grinder, as things were starting to run behind schedule - "Just check the deck lists, not the decks. We don't want another Nationals." THANK YOU! Worlds was really well run.

I have to say that I was very impressed with the event.
It was a pleasure to work as one of the 10- Judges. The kids were great and PUI's main concern, stated often through the weekend, was that everyone walk away from the event with a "Wow, that was great!" feeling.

Thanks Dave and Pete and Mike and Jimmer and Yasu and on and on. You guys did good.

The highlight of the weekend for me was playing a game against Mitsuhiro Arita! :eek:

What an event!

Thanks PUI!

I`ll echo `Pops comments (as well as John`s). The staff I worked with was great and after we got rolling, the event went smoother and smoother. Overall, a great success and heard many, many compliments to the staff and PUI.

My thanks go out as well to PUI and the PCL staff.

`Sensei

I gotta say that it was the best ever... I have never been to any event of any kind that became such a huge thing...

now i gotta figure how do i MANAGE to convince Dave, pete, or anyone at PUI that they will need me next year...

This was my fourth trip to the USA for a major Pokémon event, and this was without doubt the best one! Fantastic prizes, exciting matches, great people and atmosphere, and so many excellent new ideas from PUI!

It was truly an honour to be one of the judges in 15+, and the matches I saw in Top 16 were the best I've seen in my life. :D

I don't feel that I am require to add anything else to what has already been said. Even though I primarily volunteered at the event all weekend, both at the TCG tent outside at the Pokemon Rocks America (and almost got hit by a real thundershock too!), and signing people up for the pre-release event the next day.

It was a very memorable event. It was also very agreeable to put many faces to the names on this forum.

Would I do it again? Let's just say, "I'd be the first in line!"

Fantastic job PUI, and TPC.

Anxiously awaiting next years event!

Marsh Schneidau
(Skywolf1)

Ditto on everything. I had the honor of judging 15+ including the Championship game. It was great working with everyone!!! This was an absolutely awesome event!!! My highlight was when my son qualified in 11-14 Grinder for the next day (it was amazing all the things he got for playing in Worlds)!!! It was great meeting everyone including for the first time Freddy K, Rainbowgym, Mudkip, Whicker, Venom, Lugias Realm, Bigpoppabeatdown, and everyone else. A big thanks to PUI for putting on a tremendous event!!! Also thanks to PCL for all their help !!! I can't wait till next year!!!

Last edited:
Wow, What a great event. I have never been to such a great event(Even 2002 worlds was not like this 1)
This tournament was simply awsome. Mr. Pete, Proffesser Dav., and MT.Jimmer you guys did an awsome job.
Well, I really cant say anyhting that hasn't already been said. So here goes....

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!

Steve Silvestro

I completely aagree. The staff I got to meet and work with Sun. were awesome. Best run event I've ever gone too. If I'm lucky enough to have it held in Orlando next year, I'll be the first one there to volunteer my time. My only regret was not getting to meet more of you. Btw, thanks for the signed Feebas Mr. Meches : )

I'm gonna have to add to the praises given, but not only to PUI which was very impressive, but to the judging staff who I had the pleasure of meeting and playing against in the Late night draft. Mad Props to all thanx for the great times. The highlight of the entire trip was me getting (after much begging and pleading) the Exploud banner.(Now to get the 15+banner with Loudred)Hint Hint Meg45
BLiZ

We all also had a great time, so great that I asked Dave the dates of the Worlds 2005 event, so that we could plan our vacations in that period.
(which btw he doesn't know yet)
We will be there, even if we are not playing in the main event, just to see everyone again, and that will say enough of how we experienced it.

Wow, It is nice to see all of us here. we finally all agree on something. PUI did some awsome stuff
this weekend.But, We do know that there will be a worlds 2005. Once again thanks PUSA.

--Godevoir--

BTW, Our friends from Japan. We will be ready next year..... :)

Skywolf1 said:
and signing people up for the pre-release event the next day.
@_@

Marsh: Was that you I was sitting next to signing up people before any of the prereleases???

I gotta admit. I knew it was gonna be great but this was AMAZING!!!!! The PUI staff did an excellent job and even when i had my worst days nintendo's events made it twice as good. The prizes were so increadible, the event itself was very well run by all judges and i met so many cool people inside and outside of the country.

I loved how they ran the grinder from BSDS being in overjoyed spirits when he hit the like to all the judges that had a very close eyes over the event. The main event was twice as good with many players i knew and many i heard about enjoying it and the judges doing a great job calming down kids that was sad and making sure the wheels ran very smoothly.

David shwimmer-Thanks for making this the best pokemon events ive ever been too,blowing away worlds 2002. You really know how to keep everyone entertained at these events and to give the fans everything they expect and more. You and PUI did a wonderful job here and nooen can ever say different

Mike L-You did a great job at leauge running it and at the side evnts keeping them well run. Also all you did to keep the events well set were increadible.

Jimmer-Thanks for always stopping when you had time to chat and always making all events you were around happy ansd cheerful.

PUI-Thanks for making an event so great no oen could ever complain and giving alot of cool prizes for this event. You showed everyone that the 15+ is as strong as all events and the 10-/11-14 are the most fun of all groups.

Nintendo-Thanks for all the great leauge prizes and the worlds prizes. I was very close to the invite (40th) but i did love the great leauge prizes and all the stuff given away from link cables to packs on packs on packs.

IvesRountree-You were an awesome grinder deck check person and i did enjoy chatting with ya sunday. i hope to see ya again at worlds 05 so i can battle ya one time.

This is the greatest event ever and i cant wait till next years worlds.
Nintendo you grabbed the ball from wizards and ran with it. you took a game that was almost buried and recraeted it in your image. You molded this game into one of the best games ive ever played and hopefully will be a game that will be strong for many years.

Hey, I heard its in hawaii-is that true??

well said sniper.
I was working at the event and only had the privilege of meeting some people from the boards, I would have liked to have met more.

Lugia Realm thanks for the card and I will be happy to do another 7-11 run for you.
Yatsu (sorry spelled wrong) thank you for signing my cards. Nicole I love your sense of humor. Stefan thanks for putting up with me. Tamara what can I say your great (can I have Dalton)? Dr Davis you are great company. Dave, Pete and Mike I love how you keep your cool. I look forward to the chance to work with you guys again.

Back