Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

The Lake Trio, Arceus, and a new mechanic

It's been awhile. Anyway, here's something I've been working on. Comments and constructive crititism are both appreciated.

Uxie :psychic: hp 70

Ability: Sixth Sense
Once during your turn, when you attach an Energy card from your hand to this Pokémon, look at your opponent’s hand.

:colorless: Mind Crush
Reveal one card in your hand. If you revealed a Trainer card, your opponent reveals a Trainer card from their hand and shuffles it into their deck. If you revealed a Pokémon card, your opponent reveals a Pokémon card from their hand and shuffles it into their deck. If you revealed an Energy card, your opponent reveals an Energy card from their hand and shuffles it into their deck. (If your opponent does not have a Trainer, Pokémon, or Energy card to shuffle into their deck, they must reveal their hand instead.)

Weakness: :psychic:x2
Resistance:
Retreat: :colorless:
Mesprit :psychic: hp 70

Ability: Sympathy Pain
Once during your turn, when you attach an Energy Card from your hand to this Pokémon, you may move 2 damage counters from any Pokémon in play to this Pokémon.

:colorless: Bending Destiny
Shuffle this Pokémon and all cards attached to it into your deck. Then, choose a card from your deck and shuffle the rest of your deck. Place the chosen card on top of your deck.

Resistance:
Azelf :psychic: hp70

Ability: Sheer Will
Once during your turn, when you attach an Energy Card from your hand to this Pokémon, you may add a Basic Pokémon from your discard pile into your hand.

:colorless: A Hero Emerges
Reveal a Pokémon in your hand. Search your deck for a Pokémon ADVANCE that lists that Basic Pokémon as one of its ADVANCE requirements, reveal it, and add it to your hand.

Resistance:

Now seems like a good time to explain the new mechanic, ADVANCE Pokémon. On each ADVANCE card, there is a list of ADVANCE requirement Pokémon. To play the ADVANCE Pokémon from your hand, you stack the requirement Pokémon from your hand or your play area on top of each other and place the ADVANCE Pokémon on top. Any cards attached to the requirement Pokémon and any damage counters go to the ADVANCE Pokémon, if the requirement card was in play. Usually there is a multi-prize rule.

Arceus ADVANCE :colorless: hp 140

ADVANCE Rule: Your opponent takes 2 Prize cards when this Pokémon is Knocked Out.
ADVANCE material: 1 Azelf + 1 Mesprit + 1 Uxie

Ability: Spirit Creation
As often as you like during your turn, you may discard a Pokémon used as ADVANCE material attached to this card. If you discarded Azelf, search your Deck for an Energy card, reveal it, and add it to your hand. If you discarded Mesprit, search your deck for a Pokémon, reveal it, and add it to your hand. If you discarded Uxie, search your deck for a Trainer card, reveal it, and add it to your hand.

:colorless::colorless::colorless::colorless: Judgment 130
You may discard a Pokémon used as ADVANCE material attached to this card. If you do not, this Pokémon is now Knocked Out. If Pokémon is Knocked Out by this attack, put this Pokémon and all cards attached to it into the Lost Zone instead of discarding them.

Weakness:
Resistance:
If anyone can draw up some art for these, it would be appreciated, as I am making graphical fakes.

Last edited:
I like them, very balanced. Your pokemon ADVANCE are very similar to yugioh's xyz pokemon, is this how you got the idea?

Uxie hp 70

Ability: Second Sight
Whenever you attach an Energy card from your hand to this Pokémon, look at your opponent’s hand.

Mind Crush
Reveal one card in your hand. If you revealed a Trainer card, your opponent reveals a Trainer card from their hand and shuffles it into their deck. If you revealed a Pokémon card, your opponent reveals a Pokémon card from their hand and shuffles it into their deck. If you revealed an Energy card, your opponent reveals an Energy card from their hand and shuffles it into their deck. (If your opponent does not have a Trainer, Pokémon, or Energy card to shuffle into their deck, they MUST reveal their hand instead.)

Weakness: x2
Resistance:
Retreat:

Bold underlined is the 1 thing I would change! :)

Uxie's ability (Mind Crush lol Yu-gi-oh reference) is slightly too good. Maybe change the wording to: "Whenever you attach an energy to this Pokémon from your hand, you may ask your opponent to reveal either all Pokémon cards, trainer cards or energy cards in their hand"

This way the ability becomes balanced but also makes the ability rather unique and interesting.

I might also be able to do illustrations. Might. I'm not making any promises. If I do, I'll post them in the gallery and I will make a link to them in this thread.

@theKing Yes, it is.

@Tylertyplosion That makes more sense to me. I changed it.

@pkmn202 The problem with that is, what if the other player tries to cheat and does not show all of their cards of that type? In order to prove that those cards where the only Trainers, Pokémon or Energy in their hand they must how their entire hand... Any ideas on how to fix that? Maybe I should overhaul it so it looks at the top cards of your opponent's deck or something.

Last edited:
Good point about the cheating thing, maybe you could change it so you look at the top 3 cards of the opponents deck and choose one card to send to the discard, one to place at the bottom of their deck and let your opponent place the last card in their hand. That way it's still an interesting ability. I also just realized that second sight is the exact same name of slowking's pokepower so maybe you could change it to "Psychic Manipulation" or something like that.

I'm also about to start the illustrations, do you want a specific background, Pokémon pose or anything like that? Or should I just do it the way I think would look good?

Edit:

I've finally finished the draft for Uxie, I don't have a background yet but I will soon. Is this ok for the card?

Edit:

I've fixed up a few things, added a background and a mouth, this is the updated version of the Uxie draft.

Last edited:
I changed the name, but I don't think that looking at your opponent's hand is so broken. It takes your energy attachment for the turn, unless you are playing Emboar or Feraligatr, both of which probably would not need to look at the opponent's hand anyway...but it might find Mesprit or Azelf useful. Adding a once per turn limitation. Anyway, could you explain why Uxie is broken?
By the way, that's a nice picture.

Last edited:
Uxie's Poképower isn't too broken on it's own, but combined with it's attack which only needs one energy, it could be game changing. Looking at your opponent's hand is always a great advantage, but then, manipulating it and forcing them to shuffle one of the possibly game changing cards in their hand is just too much power for a Pokémon that's splashable in any deck. There's two ways to fix this, either make the attack cost for Uxie's attack one psychic energy and one colourless, or change the Poképower.

BTW, I'm glad you like the picture. Would you like me to start the real thing, or would you like to just take it as it is (the new one should look slightly better). Is the background and Pokémon pose ok? Or should I make it more "epic"? How would you like to change it, that is if you want to change it at all.

I'll change the energy then.

Could you start the real thing? The pose is fine and so is the background, but could you clean up the lines a little so they are a bit neater? Thanks for doing this. (If you are doing Azelf and Mesprit as well, could you make Mesprit face right and Azelf face left? You don't have to illustrate them but if you do, this would be appreciated)

Ok then, I'll start the real thing as soon as I can, probably the weekend. I'll also give Azelf and Mesprit a try after I finish with Uxie.

Last edited:
Here's what the fake card looks like atm. I'll add the text soon.

What do you want me to put as your name when I add the illustrator credit thing?

Also, could you make your picture in something that scales nicely to 238px by 156px? That keeps it from stretching, like in the current update.

The card looks pretty good right now, but (no offense) it could use a few improvements. The energies are a bit out of line and look kind of different to a normal card and don't fit in for some reason with the rest of the card, I can also see a bit of white around the retreat cost energy. Maybe if you could find out what font the Pokémon company uses for the card text, it will look more professional. The flavour text is also slightly too big for the box so maybe you should change that as well. These are just some suggestions and please don't be offended by me saying these things.

I used Photoshop along with a graphics tablet to illustrate Uxie, I'll try and use the scale you mentioned.

Height: 156 pixels
Width: 238 pixels

Is that correct?

And when you're doing the credit thing, just use Pkmn202, I'd rather not reveal my real name.

Thanks,
Pkmn202

I'll try to fix those things you mentioned. This is the first time I have tried making graphical fakes, and I know I can improve. (Would anyone happen to know the fonts they use? I think the stickied guide is way out of date.)

Those dimensions are correct.

Ok, I'll use pkmn202.

Last edited:
I'm working on the Uxie right now, but I can try and help you find the font as well. No luck so far, the font I've found so far: Humanist Condensed Bold is not available on MS word.

I've almost finished Uxie, just need to do the tails and the background, I've also found some fonts for the cards.

Name of Pokémon = Gill Sans MT (BOLD)
HP (word) = Lucida Console (BOLD)
HP (number) = STXihei (BOLD)
Pokédex information (No, HT, WT, etc) = Gill Sans MT
Ability Name = Gill Sans MT (BOLD)
Attack Name = Gill Sans MT (BOLD)
Damage = STXihei (BOLD)
Ability + Attack Wording = Gill Sans MT
Illustrator = Gill Sans MT (ITALIC)
Flavour Text = Lucida Sans Unicode (ITALIC)
Weakness + Resistance + Retreat Cost (words) = Gill Sans MT

These are all fonts from Microsoft Office Word 2007 version.

Last edited:
Uxie's Poképower isn't too broken on it's own, but combined with it's attack which only needs one energy, it could be game changing. Looking at your opponent's hand is always a great advantage, but then, manipulating it and forcing them to shuffle one of the possibly game changing cards in their hand is just too much power for a Pokémon that's splashable in any deck. There's two ways to fix this, either make the attack cost for Uxie's attack one psychic energy and one colourless, or change the Poképower.

BTW, I'm glad you like the picture. Would you like me to start the real thing, or would you like to just take it as it is (the new one should look slightly better). Is the background and Pokémon pose ok? Or should I make it more "epic"? How would you like to change it, that is if you want to change it at all.

This isn't broken at all. First, you need to attach to get the reveal for that turn, as opposed to Mr. Mine who just gets to do it. Second, they get to chose what they throw away. Sure, if they only have one of a specific type, and if it's a game changing card, and if you have one of that type as well, you get to make a huge impact on the game. Lots of ifs for something that takes your attach and your attack for the turn. It's a cool idea, but one that would probably never see play because it's affect on the overall game is hit-or-miss. How can you consider it broken? Just because it has potential to be game changing doesn't mean its overpowered. A well timed Energy Search can be game changing so we should nerf Energy Search, right?

Keep the cost at [C] imo.

Last edited:
I've almost finished Uxie, just need to do the tails and the background, I've also found some fonts for the cards.

Name of Pokémon = Gill Sans MT (BOLD)
HP (word) = Lucida Console (BOLD)
HP (number) = STXihei (BOLD)
Pokédex information (No, HT, WT, etc) = Gill Sans MT
Ability Name = Gill Sans MT (BOLD)
Attack Name = Gill Sans MT (BOLD)
Damage = STXihei (BOLD)
Ability + Attack Wording = Gill Sans MT
Illustrator = Gill Sans MT (ITALIC)
Flavour Text = Lucida Sans Unicode (ITALIC)
Weakness + Resistance + Retreat Cost (words) = Gill Sans MT

These are all fonts from Microsoft Office Word 2007 version.

Any ideas on the size? Eh, I'll just guess and check.

This isn't broken at all. First, you need to attach to get the reveal for that turn, as opposed to Mr. Mine who just gets to do it. Second, they get to chose what they throw away. Sure, if they only have one of a specific type, and if it's a game changing card, and if you have one of that type as well, you get to make a huge impact on the game. Lots of ifs for something that takes your attach and your attack for the turn. It's a cool idea, but one that would probably never see play because it's affect on the overall game is hit-or-miss. How can you consider it broken? Just because it has potential to be game changing doesn't mean its overpowered. A well timed Energy Search can be game changing so we should nerf Energy Search, right?

Keep the cost at [C] imo.

I see your point there, but Mr Mime makes both players reveal their hands, which is balanced. In this case, just an energy attachment gives you the ability not only to look st your opponents hand but also to force them to discard a certain type of card.:colorless: is in my opinion is not a good idea, I would rather that the cost would be a :psychic:. That way, you can't chuck Uxie into a random deck, you would actually need :psychic: energy and a good strategical way of using it.

I would also change the attack to:

Mind Crush

Reveal one card in your hand. If you revealed a Trainer card, your opponent reveals a Trainer card from their hand and shuffles it into their deck. If you revealed a Pokémon card, your opponent reveals a Pokémon card from their hand and shuffles it into their deck. If you revealed an Energy card, your opponent reveals an Energy card from their hand and shuffles it into their deck. (If your opponent does not have a Trainer, Pokémon, or Energy card to shuffle into their deck, they must reveal their hand instead and you may choose a card to discard.)

Any ideas on the size? Eh, I'll just guess and check.

I would use this guide for the sizes, but I'm not sure if they are correct for B/W style cards.

Last edited:
I see your point there, but Mr Mime makes both players reveal their hands, which is balanced. In this case, just an energy attachment gives you the ability not only to look st your opponents hand but also to force them to discard a certain type of card.:colorless: is in my opinion is not a good idea, I would rather that the cost would be a :psychic:. That way, you can't chuck Uxie into a random deck, you would actually need :psychic: energy and a good strategical way of using it.

I would also change the attack to:

Mind Crush

Reveal one card in your hand. If you revealed a Trainer card, your opponent reveals a Trainer card from their hand and shuffles it into their deck. If you revealed a Pokémon card, your opponent reveals a Pokémon card from their hand and shuffles it into their deck. If you revealed an Energy card, your opponent reveals an Energy card from their hand and shuffles it into their deck. (If your opponent does not have a Trainer, Pokémon, or Energy card to shuffle into their deck, they must reveal their hand instead and you may choose a card to discard.)

I would use this guide for the sizes, but I'm not sure if they are correct for B/W style cards.

So wait, you complain about the attack being too good, but you want to buff it?

Also, an energy attach DOESN'T let you both look at their hand and discard a card. You need to use an attack for that. The balance for Mime is revealing your own hand, the balance for Uxie is taking your energy for the turn. Not to mention, if you want to use the attack at peak effectiveness more than once, you have to attach more energy to an otherwise useless card. Those are huge drawbacks for a random tech, [C] to attack or not.

Not to mention this is still hit-or-miss as to its affect on the game. But I covered that already.

So wait, you complain about the attack being too good, but you want to buff it?

Also, an energy attach DOESN'T let you both look at their hand and discard a card. You need to use an attack for that. The balance for Mime is revealing your own hand, the balance for Uxie is taking your energy for the turn. Not to mention, if you want to use the attack at peak effectiveness more than once, you have to attach more energy to an otherwise useless card. Those are huge drawbacks for a random tech, [C] to attack or not.

Not to mention this is still hit-or-miss as to its affect on the game. But I covered that already.

I complained about the attack being too good when paired with the ability, although I buffed it up, I also changed the energy cost to try and counter its ability to be thrown into any deck and used without any preparations (such as not adding certain cards such as psychic energy to a deck), but I understand what you're saying and it is kind of a one-use tech so I guess you're right. You've won.

Back