Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

"The Nasty Boys" - Gyarados and Donphan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lancun

I've assembled together a nice listing for a theoretical MD-On Gyarados deck with Donphan as a viable tech. The high-HP, high-damage for low-energy cost makes Gyarados a nice, appealing deck for the next format, especially since its only real loss is Felicity's Drawing. Now, onto the list.

Pokemon: 23
4-3 Gyarados
1-1 Donphan Prime
2 Regice LA
2 Crobat G
4 Sableye
1-1 Blissey Prime
2 Uxie
1 Unown Q
1 Azelf

T/S/S: 30
2 Warp Point
1 Luxury Ball
4 SSU
4 Pokemon Rescue
2 Expert Belt
3 BTS
3 Bebe's Search
3 Pokemon Collector
4 Pokedex
2 Pokemon Communication
2 Volkner's Philosophy

Energy: 7
2 :fighting:
2 Cyclone :colorless:
3 Warp Energy

Strategy is to quickly set up Gyarados by discarding extra Magikarps via Regice and Volkner's. With the loss of Felicity's Drawing, a pair of Regice becomes more viable, as you can discard four cards in a turn (also reduces the danger of Power Spray). Donphan is a tech designed to counter the deck's number-one enemy: Luxray GL Lv.X.

The :fighting: energies are run in a pair to help prevent one of them being prized. The Cyclones are there to gust away Spiritombs or other such walls that slow Gyarados down. With the loss of Mr. Mime as a threat, however, a line of two is more than sufficient. The Warp Energies are there to cycle between Donphan and Gyarados as attackers, as their high-retreat cost would normally mean that you'd just leave them to tank, and then die. However, with Blissey Prime's "Blissful Nurse" Poke-Power, you can instantly heal both of these enormous tanks at the cost of very little (Gyarados uses no energy, while Donphan only uses one).

Super Scoop Up has a variety of uses in this deck, which is why I run four. It can turn a Crobat (though I personally don't care for this option), it can heal one of my tanks, or it can allow me to re-use Blissful Nurse.

I do realize that people will note the lack of Uxie Lv.X, but honestly, the point is to get Gyarados out. I can't be bothered to retreat it in, level it up, and then retreat it out. I think a line of four Pokedexes is much faster for the purposes of this deck, and is only halted by a Viletomb deck (which this has a relatively even match-up with anyway).

I'm hoping for some suggestions to improve consistency and overall performance, but so far, I like how the list looks.

---------- Post added 09/05/2010 at 12:51 PM ----------

Anyone have anything to suggest/add?

-2 Volkner
+1 Cyrus
+1 Communication

I don't think the volkners are really necessary if you play 2 Regice (I don't play any volkner in my gyarados and it works fine). You might want to add an cyrus to search for the fighting energy with sableye. Also another pokemon communication isn't bad. Cyclone Energy's for spiritomb aren't really necessary if you play regice.

with only 2 fighting how do you plan to get them?

you just hope to draw into it?

thats terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back