Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

The Pokemon TCG: Where and on what do you play?

White Gryphon

I'm working on a guide to learning how to play the Pokemon TCG, and among the things I believe need to be covered before actually learning how to play the game is finding a suitable area to play and a suitable surface to play on. Since I cannot attend League I have to play against my roommates, and we end up sitting on the floor, playing on a mat.

Playing on the floor, for one thing, is BAD... especially if your League is at a store that doesn't provide tables, and you have to play on a heavily-trafficked dirty floor. Not only that but your posture suffers since you have to sit right on the hard floor and lean over to handle your cards on the playing surface.

What do you believe is the best possible place to play and the best possible surface for playing on? Also, where do you play mostly, and what surface do you use?

standard folding chair and oblong wooden table, like the ones featured in the WWE.

I was about to say come to Vallco Mall downstairs by Sears but I just saw that you live in Georgia. :(
I live across the country. :( yeah what bullados said. except with plastic tables

For suitable areas, my suggestion is to organize/play at a card shop that has a lot of room, kind of like Pastimes here in Illinois. As far as playing area goes, try having an area that makes you comfortable, but also playable. Try going with what bullados said and go with a stationary chair of some sort as well as a stationary table. Also, make sure that the legs of the chairs and tables are in good condition. Otherwise, you're going to end up with a "see-saw" effect, which can possibly distract you while playing

cool

A usual wooden or plastic folding table is nice. Padded ones can make the cards difficult to pick up the cards as well as metal in some occasions. Make sure the chairs are more than high enough for a comfortable playing view of the game area, and a nearby clock is nice during tournaments. Chairs with wheels are bad ideas.... learned the hard way.

Well, I didn't get into Pokemon early enough to get into my local league before it closed, but I did observe a lot, and here's what they did:

This was in a Sam Goody, which was bigger than most, but still in a mall, and any more tables would seriously restrict traffic within the store. Luckily, this store was right by a food court, and had a decent sized aisle separating it from the chairs in the food court. Long tables were set in this aisle. It was wide enough that traffic wasn't restricted, but, then again, this isn't an overly huge mall (but not a small one, either). As has been said, the really long wood look-alike tables were placed there. Folding chairs are a good combination of size, price, availability, and durability for you. The mall you're at should have some of its own anyway.

Also, my mall had quite a few benches without backs on them, and some people would sit on them like a saddle on crowded days, and play there.

If you're interested in looks, something my friend and I like to do when playing privately is to play on top of a Pokemon puzzle that he built for more fun.

Last edited:
In my league (Dragon's Lair Games in Ft. Lauderdale), we use long plastic tables and either benches or plastic chairs of the type you get at Home Depot.

Back