Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

The Ralts' WA state report.

The Ralts

I had been testing kingdra, on account of a lack of brain cells to enable me to play anything that required the least sort of thought process.
I had been messing with it for a while, but finally decided on 4 luxury ball and a 1-1 weavile tech, instead of mesprit and another plus power. I had assumed there would be a lot more dark weak/grass types, but as it turned out I didn't face a single deck with either of those 2. Weavile was completely dead weight, and a lot of my matches would have been easier with another PP and the mesprit.
I wrote this report at 2 am, so my mind is all mushy and I don't remember much...

And whoever decided it was a good idea to put the junior and senior pairings in the same spot needs mental help. =\

Seniors: 59 people.

Round 1: Lukie L. w/kingdra
We both get mediocre starts, neither of us getting a kingdra before t3 or so. I can't remember the details at all, but my deck had better consistency and was having an easier time swarming, I always had another kingdra to replace one that had died. It somehow got down to 2-1 prizes I think, but by then he was out of resources, and I just hit his last kingdra with aqua stream ftw.

1-0

Round 2: Justin R. w/gyarados SF/feraligatr
I go first with horsea against baltoy, and do 10. He bebe's for a magikrap, and passes. I play BTS, candy do kingdra, and play a claydol and an uxie. I continue to just beat down everything else from there.

2-0

Sbarro =/= very good pizza...

Round 3: Katelynne D. w/regigigas
I don't have very high hopes once I see the regigigas. She psychic binds t1, but I still had the t2 kingdra. She doesn't keep up the lock, and I get out 2 claydols and another line of kingdras. I was able to Continue a chain of 60 per turn, plus at one point I was able to one shot a regi lv. X that had 40 on it from sniping, and had never sacrificed to get it's energy. The prize tradeoff eventually turned in my favor, and it ended 0-3.

3-0

Round 4: Robin ?. w/machamp
He starts with baltoy, with me going first with a horsea and hitting for ten. I also drop the sneasel sitting in my hand incase he somehow gets machamp and warp or something. He plays machop, and rare candys and attaches. I get claydol, kingdra, and some other crap. Beat up the baltoy, and proceed to kill the machamp in the next couple turns.

4-0

Computer problems ensue, and the junior and senior standings get deleted. So during this hour or so me and my little group of dorky friends play our newfound game: Egyption Massacre, AKA slap the table as hard as you can repeatedly and without mercy until you happen to hit it at just the right time and get some cards.

Round 5: Steven R. w/toxicroak
I get an unown Q start, and i'm forced to play uxie down when i go first, for 1 card. He attaches energy gain to his toxicroak and knocks out the Q. I get nothing and pass, he play crobat double poke-turn for game >.>

4-1

Round 6: Alex B. with kingdra
He goes first with an unown G, and I get my first donk of the day.

5-1

It's another hour before top 8 starts, so we all hurt or hands/wrists playing another few games of slap the table.

Top 8: Riley ?. w/ Dialga.
game 1: He gets 2 special steel on his first dialga, but not until i had done 60 to it already. I out-resource him with my swarm, and I'm able to kill dialgas with relative ease.

game 2: I can almost get a t1 kingdra, but when I look through my deck, I find out my QQ and 2 horsea are prized. =\ I misplay and get another baltoy instead of an energy, thinking I'll be able to get a ater through cosmic. I play BTS and get out a kingdra and evolve my benched baltoy, but even after using cosmic and dumping some cards for an uxie drop, I still whiff. Meanwhile each of these turns he's been attaching a special metal to the same dialga. So t3 I finally get kingdra to the active slot and do an entire 30 damage to his dialga...it just kind of went downhill from there, with him hitting remove lost heads every freaking time. And my horseas not coming to me from my prizes. I end up just retreating and switching between kingdras and uxies to keep him from finishing the game as long as possible, as I know that I can take the early prizes during the final match as long as I don't get a crap start.

Game 3: We both get uxie starts and I decide to go first, doing 40. He goes, and roseannes for a dialga and another uxie, which he doesn't drop that turn. He attaches to his active uxie and does 40. I level up, attach, and get out a claydol with nearly the cards in hand to get kingdra. I attach to uxie X, and psychic restore for knock out. He proceeds to attach a basic metal and energy gain to dialga, and deafens. I'm kind of stuck for the turn and just roseannes for a horsea. And zen blade for 40 to dialga. He starts his turn and time is called, so he attaches again and second strike's to even the prizes. I have a roseannes, a seadra, a kingdra, a luxury ball, and some other crap. I rose for another horsea which i attach to, and evolve my now active horsea. I need a rare candy or a BTS, so I cosmic, for nothing useful, dump some more cards and uxie for a BTS, and dragon pump for game.

Top 4: Zane N. w/Blastoise
Game1: He gets a baltoy start and goes first, I t1 him come my turn. Turns out he had 3 claydols in his hand at the start, and a 1-1 delcatty prized anyway.

Game 2: He decides to go second, with a squirtle to my uxie. I have the cards in hand for a kingdra and claydol, but since I'm going first I just attach and do 20. He plays BTS, and uses looker's. He was planning on just shuffling his own hand in, so that's why he played the BTS down, but once he sees what my hand was, he makes the decision to shuffle my hand in, and I draw a warp, water, seadra, great ball, and kingdra. He flips tails on paralysis. I go, great ball for horsea, and t2 him.
=\ Not very good ways to win against a friend, but I want mah points so...

Since it's now 10 PM the mall kicks us out and we go have the top 2 for each age group at Denny's. Woot.

Top 2: Steven R. w/ Toxicroak
Game 1: I start with horsea and have the cards for t1 kingdra, but go first. He starts with honchkrow, attaches, energy gains, and drops crobat for game...

Game 2: Unown QQ start...I decide to go second, since he started with 2 pokemon I'm assuming he didn't start with his uxie. Turns out he started with weavile, and had an uxie in hand lol. He drops uxie, attaches, and retreats for game.

So I end up 7-2 at states, would have been nice to win, but I don't really care. I wasn't expecting to do as well anyway, and mostly I was just in it for the points. Even if the travel award would have been nice.

And I had the most fun at a tournament in a while.

Props:
Me.
Myself.
I.

Slops:
Everyone else.

(Ok for realz)

Props:
My dorky group of friends. <3
Egyption massacre.
All the judges and people who helped run the tournament.
little collectible ninjas.
Kingdra.
Ripping up my sneasel after the tournament.
Finals at Denny's. (States r srs bsns?)
The guy with a giant mohawk.
The giant mob around pairings. It provided a both mental and physical challenge reaching the piece of paper taped to the wall.

Slops:
Bathrooms kinda far away.
Walking about 2 minutes to reach a water fountain 3 or 4 times when it turns out there was one 10 seconds away. >.>
Weavile.
Sneasel.
Not being able to rip up my weavile after the tournament because it's reverse holo and might actually have some value. =(
Flavorless Sbarro pizza.
Never having the time to eat at the Torreros stand.
Donking top 4, then getting donked top 2. >.<

Last edited:
Congrats. on top two! :) Yay for beating Oregonians out of the top four. :D How dare youuuu call me a dork!111!!!!1one! j/k :p Egyptian Massacre was great fun.

Levi: I'm David Cohen.

Eleki: Kingdra's cool....I don't have to use my brain to play it, which means more thoughts go toward the important things. Like keeping people from taking my water bottle from my bag. =\

Ah, Lily was her name. Gratz to her then.

Amelia: Thanks. And don't worry, you can never quite compare to Alex in dorkiness...

LOL You faced robin. (which is my name 2.) yea... He got a ride from jason like me. i loled because Robin is a boy.

^ I thought there were 2 robins in the tournament. I can't remember what this girl's last name started with, but there was another Robin(H?) besides her.

Edit: Or maybe I'm just retarded. IDK.

Last edited:
Ahhhh. Ok, thanks for clearing that up for me.
Sorry for the misunderstanding >.>

Apologies to the Robin I faced. Edited mah report.

Last edited:
Ugh I don't believe that I lost to Steven! So close in a way. So you lost to Steven? That's Steven's t hird time winnning states.....

^ Not only did he win, he went undeafeated while doing it...
I'll just keep telling myself that I think I'll still be ahead in points by 2 or 3...I hope. Lol.

^^ I wish I could take you up on that, but theres a very small chance I'll still be playing kingdra. =\

I still don't belive that I got as far as I did with my GG deck
I completey failed against Steven
I never went up against you in States

I still don't belive that I got as far as I did with my GG deck
I completey failed against Steven
I never went up against you in States

Only reason you did so well. :D
j/k.
I do have to thank you for aiding in kicking all the Oregonians out of top 8 though. Gratz.

I haven't posted on this thread yet because I didn't have anything witty to say. I'm going to attempt to supply this.

HOW DID THAT DUCK GET IN HERE?

. . .

Congratulations on top 2.

Back