Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

The years BURN! - squirtle's nats report

Squirtle

<a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p
Alright , so after mossing our flights and eventually getting there and having the airline loose ourluggage I was convinced this was going to be the worst nats ever , guess I was wrong.

Round 1 vs Mike ( Kingdra d+Pidgeot d)

I don't remember much about this game. my deck didn't work at all , but neither did his. I got a better set and demolished him.

1-0

Round 2 vs Johnny Blaze(mewtric)

Once again my deck worked like absolute trash. I called for family via eevee for 5 turns ( Was good tho cause I learned I prized 3 basics). Anyways I finally get some draw cards and start to go off. normally if I get a bum set mewtric would be owning me , however his set was also pretty bad. he missed first turn energy drop.

2-0

Round 3 vs ??? ( LBS)

I get ANOTHER horrible set up , this one however beter than the last.He pulls first turn pidgeot only to have it spider trapped/KOd. I get a fast prize lead and start to pull ahead.He is throwing so many heads its not funny tho. I couldn't seem to kill his mew. mew finally goes down and he retrievers it back. it comes down to me needing to save one flareon and use it again to give me another chance at KOing the new mew. Mary's Request , draw three. Super Scoop - TAILS... Super Scoop - TAILS AGAIN! , Super scoop - TAILS A THIRD TIME OMG!!!!!!!!!

GG 2-1

Round 4 vs ??? ( dragtrode)

Ok , so back from lunch I find my table and sit down. Low and behold - I played this guy last year at nats. I draw my 7 to reveal another terrible hand. I played literally like 4 trainers this game. I somehow get a few flips to go my way and win.

3-1

Round 5 vs ??? (flaridos)

Ok , I got a GOD hand for the first time all day. and luckilly for me I think I have played flaridos mirror more than anyone on the face of the planet.I go for the same usually strategy and take this one pretty handily.

4-1

Round 6 vs ???(LBS)

I get a decent hand. Standard flaridos set I get a few nice sleep flips and trap/evoflame alot. I win this one

5-1

Round 7 vs Jim Roll ( queen)

Jim is a pretty new player. this was his first national level tournament and his ffirst time with queen. He gets a good set. t2 pidgeot I have t1 BFer. He is 1 card shy of winning t2. I get a few things out he can't find anything. This game ended pretty close with him pidgeot swarming when only needed 2 prizes.

6-1

Round 8 VS Kyle Sabelhaus ( LBS)

I get a horrid set again. t2 flareon is helping KO rachis. I have a BF to lock its pretty ugly for me tho as hes building up. to fast forward a bit the game ends like this - He has pidgeot , porygon and stoise on bench. I BF admin him to 1 and then spider trap. He pulls counter gym from 1 card gg

6-2

Round 9 vs ??? ( Meta-Nite)

To be honest since I talked to ericnance on thursday I wanted to play metanite. All he could say was metanite autowins flaridos. I disagreed and said metanite is a very do-able deck for flaridos. anyways needless to say I get standard t2 flaridos and I commence spider trap. I won and laughed at eric =p

7-2 final seed was 8.

So yea , I find out im eigth and I have to play against dragtrode. ok ok , no big deal but the player was NESS!!!!!!!! I had about 5 people tlel me I was all done and that ness was going to own me. I just wanted to go back to my room and sleep.

TOP 32

Game 1 vs Jason K.(Ness) ( Dragtrode)

I CFF t1 for spinarak , All I need is an energy. He has a lone sneasal active. he drags off active I end up not drawing my energy , I drop flareon anyways and he throws tails on the burn flip. so I woulda had it t2. I get owned this game.

7-3

Game 2 vs Jason K (Ness)

Pretty much game 1 except for him. He gets NOTHING I take 5 prizes before he gets a trainer.

8-3

Game 3 vs Jason K(Ness)

We start. he has the lesser of the sets , I get t2 flareon/ariados and KO a sneasal. I just get everything going for me. He hits nothing but tails on burn flips , I eventually win.

9-3

TOP 16

Game 1 vs Jordan D a.k.a Whicker ( Monarchy)

This game is an absolute WAR he gets t2 pidgeot and I waste my BFers countering it.He sticks a ruins for a while and it hurts. I eventually BF Admin him to 1 , I get 2 and spider trap lock 2 basics. he scoops

10-3

Game 2 VS Whicker

he gets absolutly nothing , and I go off. his draw cards fetch him nothing at all. I am killing basics faster than he can get them.

11-3

IM GOING TO WORLDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see whicker leaving the hall as im coming out. I tell him to hang around maybe hel get a trickle down. he reluctantly takes my advice , and he got the last trickle down spot!!! grats whicker.

TOP 8

I get swept 2-0 by martin but who cares cause I got my trip.
BTW for anyone keeping score ive lost in t8 two years in a row to the winner =p

Props:

Heidi Craig for loaning me the cards I need!
Getting my trip
Seena G for his trip
Shawn G for his trip with flaridos also
My dad for flaridos testing and tweaking untill we got it just right
Whicker for getting his trip. this may be the start of a new friendship.

Slops:

Jason K for alot of tails
Tom D for leaving a jirachi active instead of Sand Damage T-Tar vs a swarm of basics =p :nonono:
Foisy ( cause I like fitting in)

If I forgot anything just post. ill fix it

Last edited:
Hmm... Erik said Metanite beats Flariados?
This is what I remember about that matchup,

GA states, your dad OBLITERATES some metanite deck.
SC states, your dad OBLITERATES in a 2 of 3 match ERIK'S metanite list that he gave to his friend.

=P
Fire weak? BF weak? Status hurts? A lot faster? lolplz.

Congratulations, Steve. You deserved the trip, you're one of the best in the US for sure. I saw you were in t16 and I was going to call, but was afraid you might've had your phone on and could get penalized... so I call Kyle and Bianchi, and Kyle didn't answer and Bianchi was... recovering. Oops, we were rooting for you bro!

You did a great job Steve. I am happy that you had won your invite! Keep the dream alive and make Top 32 at worlds!

-Peter

WTG Steve!! :clap: :clap: :clap: I know your Dad is very proud and happy for you. Now, we just have to get him thru the Grinder!! Will see you 2 in Calil!

Keith

ryanvergel said:
Hmm... Erik said Metanite beats Flariados?
This is what I remember about that matchup,

GA states, your dad OBLITERATES some metanite deck.
SC states, your dad OBLITERATES in a 2 of 3 match ERIK'S metanite list that he gave to his friend.

Nah, that was the OLD MetaNite that was losing to Flariados. The new one wins against it alot, and also does pretty well in everything else but Nationals (went 9-0 in the first modified, and both Kev and I were going undefeated with it in the last tournament when they were forced to end the tournament early).

I'm not saying it's an easy matchup, but it wins for the same reasons that it wins against LBS, plus a few more cards that make the game tilt in MetaNite's favor at times.

In any event, good job on getting your trip buddy. We'll see you at Worlds. :thumb:

eriknance said:
Nah, that was the OLD MetaNite that was losing to Flariados. The new one wins against it alot, and also does pretty well in everything else but Nationals (went 9-0 in the first modified, and both Kev and I were going undefeated with it in the last tournament when they were forced to end the tournament early).

I'm not saying it's an easy matchup, but it wins for the same reasons that it wins against LBS, plus a few more cards that make the game tilt in MetaNite's favor at times.

In any event, good job on getting your trip buddy. We'll see you at Worlds. :thumb:

Did you guys use it for the main event?

Glad we got it right Steve !

I am VERY proud of you :) Way to suck it up and take care of business.

Seventh and fifth in the last to Nats . is awesome playing son!

Only Tom and Seena have finished that high the last 2 years at Nats.

Pretty good company Steve :)

ryanvergel said:
Did you guys use it for the main event?

Yeah, we did. Unfortunately. It just wasn't the day for MetaNite, for the Nances, or for NC players apparently. I never had a Supporter in my opening hand all day, and by the time my brother and I had to play each other, we both nearly felt like dropping. Had I won my last round I would have probably made the cut with my extremely high resistance, but I got donk'ed (second turn Rare Candy Dragonite pull up Rainbow, attach R Energy, KO my only basic). Bleh. But yeah, the deck went undefeated in the first and last day Modified's, and won Kevin and I a lot of packs in the smaller tournaments, so sweet!

Again, I'm happy for you Steve. Way to go with Flariados!

eriknance said:
Yeah, we did. Unfortunately. It just wasn't the day for MetaNite, for the Nances, or for NC players apparently. I never had a Supporter in my opening hand all day, and by the time my brother and I had to play each other, we both nearly felt like dropping. Had I won my last round I would have probably made the cut with my extremely high resistance, but I got donk'ed (second turn Rare Candy Dragonite pull up Rainbow, attach R Energy, KO my only basic). Bleh. But yeah, the deck went undefeated in the first and last day Modified's, and won Kevin and I a lot of packs in the smaller tournaments, so sweet!

Again, I'm happy for you Steve. Way to go with Flariados!

It was Mike's day- he made it all the way to 14! He was the only Carolina player to make top 32...that's really saying something!

ncpicachufan2000 said:
It was Mike's day- he made it all the way to 14! He was the only Carolina player to make top 32...that's really saying something!

Yeah, you're right! Sorry I didn't mention it, but Mike did a great job, being the only NC player to make the top 32. Plus, it's his first year in the 15+... now that's saying something. Good job Mike. :thumb:

Great job Steve. Glad we both ended up getting trips by the end of the day. You play Flariados better than anyone I know... good job again.

ncpicachufan2000 said:

oh yaaaaaaa, go Mike!!!!! :clap:
& Way 2 gooooo steve,!!!!! c all ya guys all @Wrlds!!!!

I did not say that you had an autoloss, you may recall!
GJ, Steven, I will see you in LA!
Team Rocket did very well this weekend, with you leading the way.

Rick
ps, your old man is the best Flaredos player!

Back