Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Theme Decks at the Prerelease: A better value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PokePop

Administrator
Staff member
If you normally don't get the Theme Decks, you may want to check them out this time around.

They have revamped the construction of them, giving you more good card and less Basic Energy. Plus, you get a bonus pack of cards in there at no extra charge (at the prerelease, anyway), so you'll get the theme deck and 5 packs of cards in total, a very good deal!

If you normally don't bother with the theme decks, take some time to review the contents and figure the value with the extra pack.
I expect that we'll see more players choosing the theme deck option this time around.

Any chance we could get a Undaunted Theme Deck list/s?

man i wanna goto one bad the store i play at here said they wouldn't have till it got as big as yugioh and i almost laughed at them so i'm not prolly not gonna get the sleeves which is why i'd prolly goto one

Every PTO CAN order them, but not all PTO's bother. You should get in touch with yours and see if they will be offering them.

Seconding the request for lists. I know some select areas have had PRs already, does anyone who has been to one of those have a theme deck list?

In the past, the TDC was 1 PCD, then 4 Boosters at the end. I'm hoping to max out the TDC at the Prerelease down here.

Do we get the two packs after the event?

In the past, the TDC was 1 PCD, then 4 Boosters at the end. I'm hoping to max out the TDC at the Prerelease down here.

The TDC has always offered 4 booster packs rather than the extra 2 in the "main event". Now, with the bonus pack included with the deck itself, a TDC player is getting the deck, sleeves, promo card, and 5 booster packs!

---------- Post added 08/03/2010 at 01:40 PM ----------

Any chance we could get a Undaunted Theme Deck list/s?

I think you already know the answer to that one, Prime!!

It's really tempting to do this but as said before, what is in the theme decks. That will be the key.

I really hope more people decide to do the TDC this time around and there are enough supplies. I don't like playing just 1 person in the TDC.

If you normally don't bother with the theme decks, take some time to review the contents and figure the value with the extra pack.
Echoing posters above me, getting the theme deck lists ahead of time would be helpful.

It may also help registration if some of the players get a chance to see the list and make up their minds prior to the event rather than holding up the event for all of the players to review the lists and then make up their minds there.

I think you already know the answer to that one, Prime!!

Not really. If there's been a pre-release, then some sites are already working to put scans up. Once scans are up, the set list will be done. After that, is it really that much more to just write down whats on the back of a theme deck and post it online?

At the pre-releases in the past I have seen a couple of people playing a theme deck tournament.
However since I moved to Texas, no one has done this. The person that does the pre-releases does
sell the theme decks after the regular tournament (for $10 each).

I guess more people are interested in just getting the cards "early". In fact quite a few people just
come to get the cards, and then leave (or drop after a couple of rounds). Personally I never figured out
why they bother if they are not going to play in the full tournament.

i run my TDC concurrently with my main event, as i want to have something that newer players (just learning the game or unsure of deckbuilding) and/or parents can participate in.

having had brand new, never been to league and don't know how to play players show up at a pre (which was not mine, and it was no fun for them or the staff) i've found this works well. when new-to-us players register we ask if they've played before, go to league etc. if the answer is 'no' we try VERY hard to steer them to the TDC instead of main event.

win-win for the new/younger/inexperienced players imo: play with the decks, then get 4 boosters at the end.

'mom

I can't release the list ahead of time, but let's try this.
Here's a summary of one of the decks:

Featured Stage 1 x2
Basic x4

Rare Stage2 x1
Stage1 x 2
Basic x2

Rare Stage 1 x1
Basic x2

Stage1 x2
Basic x2

Stage1 x2
Basic x2

Basic x2
Basic x2
Rare Basic x1
Basic x2

Common Trainer x2
existing Highly desired Trainerx2
Stadium x1
Uncommon Trainer x2
good common Trainer x2
Supporter x2
Very Good new Supporter x2
Basic Energy x11
Basic Energy x7

Last edited:
That's perfect Pokepop!

2-4, 1-2-2, 1-2, 2-2, 2-2, 7 leftover basics, 29 pokemon. 13 trainers/supporters/stadiums, and 18 energy. Wow, such an improvement! The pokemon count is a little high, but I think with all the 2s of pokemon, this sets a new player up PERFECTLY if they buy 2 of the same theme deck. From there, they can go:

3-4, 2-3-4, 2-3 = 21 Pokemon. 18 energy. 21 trainers/supporters/stadiums.

Boy, I can't wait to see what comes in the theme decks!

And there didn't have to be a spoiler or anything.

edit: Oh, and 4 rares (two foils)! That's definitely an improvement!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back