Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

There's a Party in Your Bedroom! /Nationals Report Masters

Charzano

This was my favorite Tournamnet I have ever been to. By Far. Even topped Worlds last year. I had a great week, got to hang out with some great friends, made some new friends, it was just amazing. Thank you all for making nationals what it was.
The few days before the tournament, I spent testing decks including Jumpluff, Luxchomp, Torterra, Gardevoir/Gallade, Gengar, and others. The only BR I got to play in I played Jumpluff, and I ended up winning. I knew that it was a good deck, but it had trouble with trainer lock and power lock and I just knew that if I played it in Nationals I would get donked too much and would miss the cut. So I didn't really want to Play Pluff. The evening before Nats, I went up to Brent S's room to test a couple games. First game I played Pluff, because I was pretty sure I was going to play it the next day. He had a terrible start, and I took 3 Prizes, in control of the game, then he came back and took all 6 Prizes and I couldn't do anything. I shuffled my deck, and Brent told me to try out Palkia. I had it built, had been playing it on the side because I liked it, but hadn't really considered it for nationals. I played him and beat him by 3 Prizes. After we were done testing Brent told me he thought I was a much better Palkia player than Jumpluff Player, and after thinking about it, I decided I would play Palkia the next day.

~Round 1 VS Rampardos/Flygon/Lucario~
I go first, have a great hand, Call for Palkia and Bronzong, and then turn 2 She Looker's away my God Hand. I get a hand of no Supporters, and she starts beating my face in. I get up Palkia X, and Pearl Breath Constantly Cyrusing for Poketurns every turn and I eventually win.

1-0

~Round 2 VS Gyarados~
I get out Roserade and the Pixie Trio, I wish I played Giratina/Judge right about now. I constantly Psychic Bind her, knowing that if she gets one flash bite off on Palkia X she can one shot it with A Gyarados w/Belt. I build up Palkia and when Sableye dies I get out Crobat and Poison her Gdos. I come out with a Hydro Shot next to KO it. She gets it back, and does 90 to Palkia X. I spray Azelf, but she didnt prize any Karps. I poketurn, Pearl Breath, and then KO another Gdos. She gets it back again, Does a bunch of flash bites, too much for me to spray all of them (out of Mesprits) and Ko's a Palkia. We go back and forth, she hits some SSU's, Tails on one, then I come back and Pearl Breath, Killing the Gdos and her Benched Uxie, Benching her. I only had 2 Prizes left anyway though.

2-0

~Round 3 VS Uxie/Expert Belt/Crobat~
Yeah, I think this was Luxchomp. I go first, start with Mesprit, attach, pass. He goes DCE, Expert Belt, Flash Bite, Poketurn, Flashbite, Psychic Restore for 80 on my Mesprit for the donk.

2-1

~Round 4 VS Kingdra~
Tough game, She hits for a constant 80, got out Kingdra Prime with Belt Turn 2, got out another Kingdra later. I constantly Psychic Bind, KO a Claydol and 2 Baltoys, then at one point she Roseanne's for double Uxie and I only had one Spray so she Set Ups for 6. I end up Pearl Breathing FTW in the end.

3-1

~Round 5 VS Jumpluff~
I have a less than par start, but I think I can pull through it. He gets out T2 Jumpluff and Claydol, and KO's my Palkia. I have nothing, so I send up Ambipom and Tail Code his Energy to his Azelf. He KO's me, I Aaron back Ambipom, having nothing else, and Tail Code another Energy. I NM back Ambipom and a Mesprit again the next turn, having nothing else, SP Radar, and Tail Code once more. He's used 4 Energy total, only has one Pluff out. He Ko's Ambipom, and I topdeck a Colllector Getting out Roserade, Mesprit, and Uxie. I Set up for 4, Drawing Cyrus and Mesprit. I Poison Bind and Pyschic Bind, and he doesn't have the Energy. I get out Palkia X, and Psychic Bind again. I keep on trying, its 1 to 6 in Prizes, 10 minutes left. I Pearl Breath, Koing Pluff, Keep him Locked. I Pearl Breath turn after turn, and he cant do anything. I run out of Mesprits but double power spray his 2 claydols one turn, Then KO one. He gets out a Pluff, but I have 4 Energy on Palkia X by now and manage to Hydro shot 2 Turns in a Row for my last 2 Prizes. Coming back from 1 to 6 in Prizes, winning with only like 3 minutes left in the Round. One of the best games I have ever played. No joke.

4-1

~Round 6 VS Donphan/Manectric/ERL~
I see phanpy and am happy to have a good matchup. I think it will be easy at least, he has weakness. I go second and get prepared to go crazy with stuff next turn. Then, out of his 5 card hand, he drops Donphan, BOTH pieces of ERL, Claydol, and JUDGE. Judge, Judge, Judge... The card destroyed me right there. I knew I could have gotten around ERL, but I drew 4 Crap Cards, no Supporter. He gets out Manectric, and some other stuff, and I am done. I don't even take one Prize. He Thunder Falls for 4 Prizes, I had dropped 4 Pixies turn 1. Then I had nothing. Good Game man, you rocked my stuff.

4-2

~Round 7 VS Baltoy~
I don't know what she was playing. I think Jumpluff. She goes first, I Collector for 2 Bat, Poketurn, Attach, Psychic Restore on her lone Baltoy. GG.

5-2

So I'm feeling good about stuff. I know I just have to win 2 more. I'm feeling pretty good about 5-2. Solid Record. I can still make top.

~Round 8 VS Luxchomp~
Cool Beans, Luxchomp. I rarely ever lose to Luxchomp with my Palkia. Kevin W is the only one who consistantly beat me with it, but he is exceptional. Went 9-0 in swiss. I draw my opening hand, and it looks pretty good, except I need a Supporter. Turn 1 I drop some stuff, including Uxie, and Draw 3 more cards, for no suppporter. I call for Azelf MT completing the Trio (I dropped Mesprit that turn too.) Throughout the entire game, I never got a Supporter. I drew a Roseanne last turn, but it was over. 6-1 in prizes. Damn. I KNEW I could have won that matchup had I gotten a single Cyrus.

5-3

~Round 9 VS Luxchomp w/ ERL~
Luckily, I hadn't had to play a friend all through the tournament, until now. I had to play against Lance W, a friend from MO. But he had beat me at regionals, and I wanted a rematch. So we set up, and things are looking ok, he knows what he's doing so I really have to focus. I play Collector, and see that both my Downer Azelf AND Promo Croak are Prized. Both of which I REALLY need in this matchup. I get Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf LA. I know he has a Spray in his hand, Cyrused for it the turn before, so I PRAY he doesn't Spray the Time Walk. I attempt to Psychic Bind--- SPRAY. Yes! I attempt to Time Walk... YES! I grab Promo Croak, and then set up for 3. He didnt have another srpay. Things are looking up for me, I Sprayed a key Flash Bite and began to take control of the game, but then he drops ERL. Ughhh. As soon as that card hits the board, everything changes. EVERYTHING. He tries to Galactic Switch and I spray it. I spend the next turn clearing my bench, only having 1 pokemon he could destroy with ERL next turn. After that we both need to get back on our feet with a new strategy. He Dragon Rushes my Azelf MT, but I NM it back and I'm still going strong. We were pretty neck and neck the whole game, but I pull through in the end to win it. Time was called, but we played it out and I still would have won. Great game Lance.

6-3

So I miss the Cut. There were a lot of 6-3s. I'm upset, but satisfied. First year in Masters, playing a deck that requires skill to play, unlike if I had played Jumpluff, and I never got outplayed. One game I couldn't get a supporter, one I couldn't do anything, Dude just had the game from the Judge, and one game I got donked. With 17 Basics in my deck I got donked. I think I did pretty well. I had a blast, and my good buddy Diaz WON THE ENTIRE TOURNAMENT. GO BAZOOKA! Haha well it was the best week out of my whole summer, and I can't wait for nationals next year. Thank you all for reading. I'll post my list if anyone is interested. Have fun at Worlds Kids :wink:

Palkia Lock

Pokemon: 20
1 Palkia X
3 Palkia
4 Mesprit
1 Uxie X
2 Uxie
1 Azelf MT
1 Azelf LA
1 Toxicroak Promo
1 Bronzong G
1 Unown Q
1 Roserade SP
1 Ambipom G
2 Crobat G

Energy: 12
4 Call
6 Water
2 Psychic

Trainers: 28
3 Rose
3 Collector
4 Cyrus
4 Energy Gain
4 Poketurn
4 Power Spray
2 SP Radar
1 Cynthia
1 Aaron
1 BeBe
1 NM

I think that the Donphan/Manectric/ERL player's name was Matt L.- he was the one who came up with that list. Through testing, he and I found out that Palkia Lock has to get a Mesprit out T1 or you're in a difficult game. Also, with Manectric and ERL being in the game, you probably would have had a tough game anyways (or so our testing shows).

Anyways, great job with Palkia, and I'm sorry you whiffed top cut.

SAM, great job bro, I think you made the right deck choice even though you were so on the fence right before, really, good job for your first year.

Back