Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

TheRing killed ourselves. Andceo Worlds Report

andceo

Welcome to the Andceo Pokèmon TCG 2008 Worlds report!
After most of you know, this is the first time I made Worlds.
I have been playing for 4 years without any 1st place, but at the end I did it.

Just a month after Nats, when my university exams were finished, I started to work with my TheSeconds team to build up a rogue deck in order to counter the most expected deck: Plox, Empoleon, but also MagLeaf and possibly Torterra and BanBliss.

The first decks were pretty bad, but then my brother showed me a strange Gengar-Bronzong variant.
I thought the deck was just a joke, but we kept him tested and I saw it had potential.
After some depth tests and some talking with the group, Kenta and me decided that a new deck was born, and its name was THE-RING, because:
- After a Claydol, a Gardevoir or other Pokè-Powered Pokèmon are played, they are gonna die in some turns because of Bronzong
- The deck is full of ghosts
- When Gengar uses his 2nd attack, he made a ring going up and down the field.
- Try to rotate Bronzong of 180°

I have been sad all the season because while I have always played very nice counters (2005 Medicham, 2006 JynxFett and 2007 GrumpigStall) I ended up winning Nats with a pretty simple deck (MagKiss).
When this new deck came out, I decided I was going to play that, no matter what would have happened.
This deck had all the things I like more: Cursed Stone (Bronzong) and attack and switch (Gengar), ad my old GrumpigStall.

At first, the deck seemed to have a good match-up versus Plox and 50-50 vs EmpoZong.
But as time passed, we discovered that playing in the correct way the 2 decks could have brought them to the win.
For that reason, we tested all the day for 1 months and at the end we found out some solid ways to beat them.
A 1/0/1 Ampharos line was needed to better the Empoleon match-up and pass to 65-35.
Versus Plox it was always 50-50 and as there were many variants, we needed to find a version which can defeat most of them.
G-Plox was hard, but Ampharos and an Absol Ex helped to play around Breelom.
Versus other variants, we just played 4-4 Bronzong and 4 Scramble to break the Psychic Lock and Gengar to contrast Gallade (if they use it, just spread with Gengar and send a Chatot or a Shuckle).
Once the Plox field was spreadded in the correct way, you should have taken the victory before they drew their 6 prizes.

At the end, the list was:

Pokemon (23)
4 Bronzor GE
4 Bronzong
2 Baltoy PK
2 Claydol GE
2 Gastly DP
1 Haunter
2 Gengar DP
1 Mareep SW
1 Ampharos SW
1 Chatot MD
1 Schuckle SW
1 Duskull
1 Dusknoir

Trainers (21)
4 Rare Candy
4 Bebe's Search
4 Roseanne's Research
4 Steven's Advice
3 Moonlight Stadium
2 Celio's Network

Energy (16)
4 Double Rainbow
4 Scramble Energy
4 Call Energy
4 Psychic Energy

We were pretty confident in it and made a video promo: http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=u0B2sh5RRn8

The MagLeaf match was very winnable (they need many powers and supporter, and just playing Bronzong force them to lose most of their field. Other that, Ampharos give you more damage around).
Torterra was a problem, but we did know how to play vs him and we were not expecting much of them.
BanBliss was an autoloss, but as there many at US Nats and no one win, we expected it to not be played so much because most of the players would have chose a Plox and a GG or add with Windstorm in their decks (and so, they would kick out any Cess/Beach deck from the tournament).

When we arrived in Orlando, we met the Sekkoum brothers, some INTL friends like Bohn and Jason, the Danish, the Dutch, the players from Argentina (Leandro and Diego at the first place!) and some US players.

After having some room problems solved (wrong room number?), we spent all the following days having fun, and at last the tournament arrived.

1- Josef Furstenzeller , Plox w Muk-Cresselia LVX
I was pretty confident in this match. The opponent hadn’t ever seen my deck and so I could take the field control. He starts Psychic Locking while I had nothing in field, and I have to lose a Gastly and Chatot for a while to set a Claydol and a Bronzong. When Bronzong arrived, it was pain! He had to lose his 2 Gardevoirs and had not the Scramble advantage, so I could take 2 prizes on 2 of his Gardevoir. We were like 2-2. At this point, i needed the Gengar to spread around a bit while he was setting something and the Dusknoir to hide something in his bench. My 2nd Gastly was prized and the Dusknoir didn’t arrived. I had to play the Shuckle to draw something more with Claydol and I decided to do a foolish thing: Absol Ex immediately on the Claydol and a double KO on his Muk (active) . 4-2 for me. He did a KO with his Gardevoir-Scramble and started to set another Claydol. At this point, I was pretty sure he was gonna lose because the Gardevoir and Claydol saw THE-RING and they were gonna day in a few turns (LOL). I took 2 extra turns to set-up another Bronzong sending his Gardevoir to 100 damage, then he retreated for Gallade-Scrambled and went to the 4-4. I’m pretty sure I’ll win in 1-2 turns with my last Bronzong and Pain Amplifer, but I didn’t see he was preparing a trick.
The turn before he had a Cresselia benched and I benched my last Bronzor.
He Warp Point another time to promote Cresselia LVX and clean his Claydol from a BringDown, the promote Garde LVX and Bring Down my Bronzor. 5-4.
I was like °_°. No, I cannot lose this game. I started to check the field and I noticed that thanks to Cresselia he could do his last KO.
Yes, I lost.
0-1

I’m pretty angry with myself at this moment. I lost to a Plox after spending 2 months working on that match-up. I don’t know if it’s me, if it’s the deck of if it’s the luck (maybe a Gengar or a Dusknoir would have lead me to the win many turns before the end). By the way, I lost my first Worlds match. That’s bad.
Let’s go ahead:

2- EspeonCrhis – SpeedEdgar
I met EspeonChris from the Gym. I saw my first 7 cards and I found only an Absol Ex. Not bad if I’m not against…an Edgar!!! This is the only match I can’t start with Absol Ex. He damaged the Absol Ex and spread around my Bench. I HAVE to bench an Ampharos, but after my first KO he Dusnoired it. In a few turns, he did 4 prized before I can see them. I Dusknoir-ed his Empoleon and start to attack, but a 1-4 gap is too much. He played around Bronzong, Piplup and Absol Ex to the win.
0-2

Just a bit disappointed but well, it happens to start with Absol Ex and to lose a match for that. I’m pretty sure I could have played a good match without that start, but no matter. It happens.
Now I’m out of the tournament. But well, let’s keep playing:

3- Absolade – Ken Van Schoor
He started with Absol and destroyed my hand. He didn’t find any Supporter or Trainer because I simply didn’t have them. Chatot is prized, so I have to hope in the topdeck. After 6 turns, I top deck a Claydol set up a Scrambled Gengar and a Scrambled Bronzong. He has to Psychic Lock and then I can draw a few prizes returning the KO. We are on the 3-3 and I did my final move: I spread and use Absol Ex until I have 6 damage on his Absol, 5 damage on the Claydol. He promoted a Dugtrio and I attack it for 60. Claydol goes to 6 and I have a Bronzong in the Bench. Pain Amplifer for the last 3 prizes. Good game!
1-2

At least the deck did work. I have to win some more games to be satisfied:

4- MagLeaf – Mikey Fouchet
Finally an easy match-up! I need what to do. I started with my Bronzong attacking and I set up an Ampharos. He has to lose 2-3 prizes because Leafeon LVX and Magmortar LVX take many damages from Bronzong and Gengar helps to finish them. He had to do play an Absol Ex to get rid of my 2nd Bronzong, and I thought “Absol Ex, you saw THE RING!”. 2 turns of Gengar and a final Pain Amplifier + Absol Ex for the last 3 prized. Good game!

2-2

Three games needed for the top. Only 3 games

5- IanB. Aka ChicoBlanco – Toxicroak – Scizor
After I saw Scizor and Psychic Energy I said “yeah, the tournament is over”. But well, I did start very awesome and he has some setting problems. I can draw like 2 prized while he is setting and the I’m under Cess and Beach Lock. Toxicroack is weak to Bronzong, so I can hope to do a lot of damages if I’m not Paralyzed. Unfortunately, I flip 1 heads and then 3-4 tails in a row, so he can draw some prizes and destroy my field. I have to hope for the Dusknoir but it didn’t came. Another loss.

2-3

To me it’s OK. I knew perfectly I would have lost 1 game against a Cess-Beach deck and 1 game because of a bad start. I hoped for a 5-2. But well, I lost my 1st match because of me so this is the only thing I can regret.
Let’s move on!

6- Steffen From aka 2nd at WC last year – Blaziken/Typhlosion
I have to face my friend Steffen! He’s playing a deck which is not so good for the meta, I think. Anyway, we had a very funny game. I start aggressive with Bronzong and I damage a Blaziken, Pachirisu and a benched Claydol. He discard all his DREs and his Energies to KO random basic on my Bench and Claydol, and went up of 3 prizes. I use my Scramble to KO 2 Blaziken with Bronzong and Gengar, then Claydol dies because of Bronzong body. We were like 3-3, but he lost to many energies at the beginning and Bronzong is hard to pull down. He has to bench another Claydol and a Typhlosion and so…the deck had seen THERING and he’s gonna die in a few turns! He charged a Blaziken to KO in 2 hit my Gengar, but I just Pain Amplifier all the time to KO Pachi, Claydol and Typhlosion. He drew another prized, but I could draw all my last 3. GG!
3-3

I really want to finish my Worlds in a decorous way, so let’s win the last game!

7- Miguel Lopez – Plox
I drew a Duskull, some Scrambles, some DREs and all my evolution cards without having nothing for 3 turns. He T3 Psychic Lock for the win!
3-4

My brother did 2-3 drop with it so TheRing didn’t make it.
I don’t really know what it happened.
I think myself the deck was very good, but maybe it had problems inside itself (like it had many bad starts) and maybe it was too difficult to run and he needed many energies to win a game.
I’m pretty disappointed about 2 things.
The first one, Is I lost my 1st game in a silly way. At Worlds you MUSTN’T make mistake in controlling the field.
The second one, Is the deck had too many bad starts. In this format with 4 Call, 4 Roseanne, 6 Bebe and 4 Steven you cannot draw nothing for 3 turns 1 game on 3. During the test, over 200+ games, I checked that the deck built this way can start really bad 1max2/10 games, but not 3/7 games, as it happened to me in the tournament.
Anyway, the deck could have made T32 with more luck but it was definitely not a deck which can win a tournament like this one, with many many different decks and players.
I had funny in playing this, but well, I learnt that not always rogue decks are the best choice and it’s not easy to play them and to win with them. Maybe we over-valued ourself. I hope to do Worlds next year too and to find out some other decks to play!
Thanks to everybody for your time!

PROPS:
Alessio and TheSeconds for being near me all the time
Orange juice almost for free
Having much fun in playing Worlds
Zucchelli and Canto family for staying with me at the Hilton
Simone Z. did the 3rd place in the Junior! Italy did something!
Meeting the Sekkoum brothers (the BEST)
Having much fun with Sami and his LOL things.
DownTown Disney
Pleasure Island
Magic Kingdom
The Ice-cream of Friday
Yoyosfsho16 for the guitar
The Swimming Pool
Kevin and his Dutch friends (LOOOOL)
The Chinese Takae Suzuki
Yamato in the Swimming Pool
Eltsina, Victoria and their OLIVER!
LEANDRO, Agustin, Pablo and Diego!!
Steffen From, Eriksen, Lars, Morten and the Danish guys!
Meeting John K., Ross C., Alex B., Chris F., Jason K., Jimmy B. (even if I needed a Gyarados signed but I didn’t find it after the tournament!!!), Colin M.
Meeting GINO L., THE US NATS CHAMP AND THE BEST PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Larry Altavilla
All my opponents (especially Mikey F. and IanB.)
Team Toxicroac
Tristan R.
ALEXANDRA R. (<3)

SLOPS
Wrong room number at the beginning
I should have make more photos
Food
TheSeconds (no one in T32)
Kenta and Gatsu (the droppers!)
The Ring (whick killed us and not our opponents!).
The tropical storm

Last edited:
ouch.
really ouch.
that hurts badly.

hope itll be better next year, gentlemen & nice meeting all three of you :D

Jason.

Props for a rad deck...

our game started off really good, but then you started too draw into bad hands mid-game(even though you have 4 Steven's Advice) :/

it was so awesome meeting you and all the other Italians..
you guys were defininitely some of the most cool people in all of Worlds

hopefully I'll make it to Worlds next year, and see ya'll again..
maybe together we could come up with a deck to play for worlds
8)

-ian brander

eheh...

Our game was very good because it was between 2 very original decks.
But well, i knew perfectly my deck would have autoloss versus many Cess/Beach variants, but i chose to take the risk and in fact i found only one of them.
The problem is i lost other 3 games!

Ah, good game bro. I thought I had it when I killed your Claydol and left you with 2 cards, but after a few turns drawing dead and a few good draws, you came right back. Great game, hope to see you next year. And hopefully we both do as well at our respective Nationals as we did this year as well! :D

gj it was a great game we played sorry it didnt last longer =[

absol ex is really horrible starting with it..

but Gj none the less.

it was nice meeting you =]

Magnechu: LOL! I had a very good hand and field so i could play around the Claydol-lack. I tested the game several times and i saw most of them that if the opponent use a hit for 100 to KO Claydol, the Bronzong spreading body and his Coating are enough to get a field advantage. The problem is when they can do several KO on Bronzong thanks to Burn/Leafeon/attack on the Bench, but that game i was quite luck. BTW the game was very good! Thanks again! And see ya next year (we MUST get an invite!).

yoyosfho16: yes, you have been one of my best PROPs of the weekend for the guitar! Thanks again!!

ryan= yeah, it was a shame we didn't met. But were you there?

Chris = The problem with Absol Ex start is that vs Empoleon it gives up too much advantage (while you can play around it if you are vs GG) because they can just spread the other Pokèmon and keep that 2 prizes for the end (and it has synergy with Dusknoir). But well, i took the risk and it happened. Hope to have another game next year!!!

Back