Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

things Pokemon is doing right, lately

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokman

<a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p
1. 30+3 rule. This is great for competitive play and is really good for the future of the game. Hopefully if this system is well received, Pokemon can take a look at top cut matches and make changes there. With 30+3, swiss matches might actually be shorter in time overall, and this is also much fairer than previous rules which incited "bending" time management and disregarding SOTG.

2. League promos. Another great thing pokemon is doing! But unfortunately, for the ebay market of pokemon cards, it's a little unsettling. One thing that comes to mind was waaay back many years ago when I played Yu-gi-oh, EVERY good card was released as a common in later sets and it totally ruined all the months of collecting/buying people did. Thankfully, pokemon is only releasing them two at a time and is only doing 1 good card with 1 not-so-good. Not to mention, pokemon's community isn't psycopaths and cards don't go for hundreds of dollars. Hopefully, Pokemon doesn't end up releasing all the staple cards...

3. Diverse format. Beside SP type decks, I think this is a very well rounded format. Every deck has clear advantages and disadvantages against specific decks. With cards like Scizor Prime, Vileplume, and Umbreon UD, many decks are pretty balanced having to consider other matchups. Pre-Triumphant looks great. Hopefully the addition of lost world mini set won't break the game. While most of the community is still flailing in anger over the set, I don't think it'll be that big of a deal. Gengar's attack is easily played around.

4. More cards with choices! Something I've noticed over the years of playing Pokemon, when a card that doesn't require a flip gives you multiple options, it's a very good card. With things like Pokemon Communication and Energy Exchanger, the game is becoming a bit more skillful requiring forethought and decision making skills. More cards like this is a good thing!

5. Letting us takes any notes private from opponent! Not only will this propel my detailed reports further, this can help all players with remembering what is in their prizes from azelf! Now I can also write down my opening hands to help analyze matchups during/after a tournament!

I might edit with some more stuff if/when I come up with it

Last edited:
Every change PUI has made since the game got taken from WotC has been a step in the right direction. We've seen:

1) Better prizes

2) Best 2/3 becoming standard Top Cut procedure

3) Legitimate World Championships

4) Extended time limits

5) Extending Nationals to two, then three days

6) 30+3

Every change has been a move in the right direction. I hope to continue to see the game adapt and meet what the players want. I hope the next two changes we see are two-day Regionals (which I have been told is up to the PTO), and allowing ties during swiss.

I'd also like to point out that Pokemon has some of the best customer service/fan interaction I've ever seen. Whenever a thread about OP or anything of that sort goes on for too long, Biggie or someone else will be here participating in the conversation, typically in a respectful manner. Not a lot of businesses are willing to do that.

Well said rokman! I agree with everything you said!

As someone who has only played for a little over a year its great to come into the organized side and have everything set up really nicely.

I hope the next two changes we see are two-day Regionals (which I have been told is up to the PTO), and allowing ties during swiss.

I think with 2 day regionals, it's totally situational to each city/community/venue etc. So, I think it's best to leave it up to each individual PTO. But I can definitely see the benefits.

I'd also like to point out that Pokemon has some of the best customer service/fan interaction I've ever seen. Whenever a thread about OP or anything of that sort goes on for too long, Biggie or someone else will be here participating in the conversation, typically in a respectful manner. Not a lot of businesses are willing to do that.
That is another thing, people who actually work for Pokemon on a community forum interacting! Great stuff

Every change PUI has made since the game got taken from WotC has been a step in the right direction. We've seen:

1) Better prizes

2) Best 2/3 becoming standard Top Cut procedure

3) Legitimate World Championships

4) Extended time limits

5) Extending Nationals to two, then three days

6) 30+3

Every change has been a move in the right direction. I hope to continue to see the game adapt and meet what the players want. I hope the next two changes we see are two-day Regionals (which I have been told is up to the PTO), and allowing ties during swiss.
o_O people have already forgotten the biggest difference between WotC and TPCi's OP?

...allowing 15+'s full participation again!

'mom

Expanded Professor Program -- Now much more than either a Judge qualification or an unpaid salesman program, it awards prizes to those that help grow the game, teaches the correct methods of both Judging and Organizing, and gives a direct line to PCI for when problems arise.

15+ -- Anybody else remember when there wasn't a legitimate 15+ age division? Yeah, quite glad that came back ^_^.

More manageable set sizes -- I'm sorry, but 150+ sets just don't allow the casual crowd to compete in this game. Having sets under 120 cards helps those that can't find reasonably affordable locations to purchase cards.

Legitimate 1st party Video Game Tournament support -- has anybody else ever heard of a company sponsoring its own video game tournament series? Me neither. Most video game tournaments are fan-sponsored and run. It's nice to see that PCI is willing to serve this portion of the community. Now, let's see them make this even better ^_^.

7) P!P providing the prizes for Premier events outside North America.

This is such a huge difference for all those international players, we finally can count on having a trip to Worlds on our Nationals for example. Or what about the boosterbox as prize to win a SPT. You will have one now.
While in the past we were on the mercy of LD's and had to hope to get any prizes at all.

Legitimate 1st party Video Game Tournament support -- has anybody else ever heard of a company sponsoring its own video game tournament series? Me neither. Most video game tournaments are fan-sponsored and run. It's nice to see that PCI is willing to serve this portion of the community. Now, let's see them make this even better ^_^.[/QUOTE]

^ Well said. Your not alone in this quest in trying to make it bigger and better. The steps are little, but progress is better now then ever before as the support for this "department" is growing. Now, it is a matter of getting it orginized with structure. I think that some T.O's do not want to incorporate the VG tournaments due to the lack of knowlage/experiance with the games and already have a lot of work to do at the TCG events and have no volunteers to run it. But most defenitly TPCi has done great in branching out with side events and offering more to do over the last few years.

Oh yeah. One more thing that they've done well recently...

Theme Decks that are built solidly and around a central theme. I REALLY want this to continue!

I'm just waiting for the "Things Pokemon did WRONG" thread to pop up...

Really, the only thing that has gone wrong lately is the speed of the game...too many games decided after drawing 1 card. Aside from that though, I personally have been happy with every change brought to the table, tho I can understand a few of the sour grapes some folks have (Foreign cards issue mostly).

Well, I'm happy with the game.

I have to disagree with the OP's number 3, I don't really consider all the sp builds to be different archetypes, I really feel like the format was more diverse pre platinum, but it's a format and it'll go back and forth, so it doesn't really matter in the long run. However, everything else is freaking spectacular.

Also, idk why people are mentioning the age 15+thing, says lately in the thread title, but props still

A+ thread.

I'm really pleased how well P!P is doing! Their coverage for the US Nationals and Worlds, IMO, has improved tenfold since the one time I went to Worlds in 2008. Extending the Video Game Championship Regionals to fit 768 people is an excellent decision as well.

So someone mentioned that there are 14 cards being removed from the new set any clue on what they are or was said person talking out the side of there mouth?

In a world of negativity, it's nice to read some positivity.

Here's what I like:

- smaller sets, but not too small. Hated the e-card set mega sets and fossil/junge mini sets. TPCi sets are mostly perfectly sized.

- elimination of booster box prizes at release tournaments. Release tournaments are not longer the "shark infested" tournaments they once were.

- league games rewarded evenly. All players now earn league rewards at the same rate.

- Pokemon.com card database. I only wish TPCi could go back and add ALL sets, way back to Base Set.

In a world of negativity, it's nice to read some positivity.

Here's what I like:

- elimination of booster box prizes at release tournaments. Release tournaments are not longer the "shark infested" tournaments they once were.

- league games rewarded evenly. All players now earn league rewards at the same rate.

why do u like not being able to win a box at prs and why are league games evenly fun i`ll just show up to league with 4 uxie 56 energy theirs no point in winning right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back